Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by speedski »

Ted Hill signed to Bath on a long term deal....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63380115
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Excellent signing. Bath must have money to burn- How many Worcester players now? Hill and Lawrence are excellent pick ups.

Times reported that many of these player without clubs have been ‘exploited’ by being offered lower contracts. With clubs like Bath working up to the cap where will clubs get the money from? I know we have some players leaving mid season but it surely begs the question how they can afford it.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wasps and Worcester players are being offered contracts at a fraction of what they were earning. Wages set to dive in contract negotiations.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I can see current international players going to France or Japan earlier to top up their earnings, can't say as I would blame them, but the knock on effect for the home nations could be quite dramatic.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:12 pm Excellent signing. Bath must have money to burn- How many Worcester players now? Hill and Lawrence are excellent pick ups.

Times reported that many of these player without clubs have been ‘exploited’ by being offered lower contracts. With clubs like Bath working up to the cap where will clubs get the money from? I know we have some players leaving mid season but it surely begs the question how they can afford it.
Bath have lots of injuries so are presumably using the injury dispensation to the limit. They are undergoing a big rebuild phase so adding EQ, young, physical and mobile options like Lawrence and Hill makes all the sense in the world. Bath have an SA number that's spent large portion of his time there injured, I imagine he'll not be renewed next summer and Hill shuffled into his cap space.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:58 pm I can see current international players going to France or Japan earlier to top up their earnings, can't say as I would blame them, but the knock on effect for the home nations could be quite dramatic.
I’m not sure how likely this is. Haven’t France added a limit to overseas players to protect their own domestic team?
I think it’s more likely we see less overseas players come across to the English game in future, which means the domestic game will need to focus on a developing academy players.
For example, for Van Wyk and Leatigaga, we develop Whitcombe, Hurd, Hoyt. Henderson and Chessum replace Snyman etc etc

As an aside, looking at how much space squads have to move, I looked at Bath’s first team squad, they actually have more players than us. Their website lists 80 players, albeit a mix of Senior and development all in once place. By contrast Tigers have 66, 45 senior players and 21 senior academy. For context, Saints 61, Quins 65 (41 & 24), Exeter 70, Gloucester 61 (37 & 24) , Sarries 61 (42 &19) , Bristol 72 (50 & 22)etc etc so it makes you wonder what value Bath have placed in going for more quantity and perhaps less quality.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:18 pm Wasps and Worcester players are being offered contracts at a fraction of what they were earning. Wages set to dive in contract negotiations.
Well they would be, teams don’t have the cap space
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I can see less players coming into the game if the money tails off, better career prospects elsewhere? I had a workmate who was a Scottish International footballer back in the days when players received the average of a working mans wages, he won FA cup medals, the lot and ended up in a factory after his playing career was over, I don't see that ever happening again in soccer, so why do we expect rugby players to play for poor wages?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Soccer players I knew that played 1960's to the turn of the century after their sports career was over became newsagents, post office managers or pub landlords. One became a prison officer and another went to work for British Gas (Centrica). For every Keegan or Lineker there were many that were lucky to retire mortgage free. The ones I mention were pre Premier League 1st Division players. Most rugby players are the equivalent of lower league soccer on salary expectation, they will earn more than the average worker but not necessarily more than a doctor, lawyer or accountant, maybe better than a teacher but not necessarily more than a headteacher.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:10 am I can see less players coming into the game if the money tails off, better career prospects elsewhere? I had a workmate who was a Scottish International footballer back in the days when players received the average of a working mans wages, he won FA cup medals, the lot and ended up in a factory after his playing career was over, I don't see that ever happening again in soccer, so why do we expect rugby players to play for poor wages?
Sadly it is one of the great conundrums that we have at the moment. Players deserve to be paid so much more for what they put themselves through and squads should be so much bigger to allow ample rest and rotation. Unfortunately, clubs can afford neither of these and the irony is that the more that players get paid, the smaller the squads get and the risk of long term damage or health issues for the players increases. Sadly, without more money in the game, the situation does not change.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Geordie on the BaaBaas coaching team v Saints
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

According to a report I saw yesterday, Itoji is earning £800,000 a year!
Are they taking the pi**?
The sanctions against them were pathetic and weighed against their tiny support, these salaries are going to screw
the game well and truly.
A life long Tiger
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Smudge wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:46 pm According to a report I saw yesterday, Itoji is earning £800,000 a year!
The sanctions against them were pathetic and weighed against their tiny support, these salaries are going to screw
the game well and truly.
Isn’t he their Marquee player.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:53 pm
Smudge wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:46 pm According to a report I saw yesterday, Itoji is earning £800,000 a year!
the game well and truly.
Isn’t he their Marquee player.
Take your pick between him and Farrell
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

For a bit of perspective, Itoje gets as much a year as Haaland & DeBruyne get a week at Man City.
To win is not as important as playing with style!