Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by speedski »

Loader extends at Irish
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:55 pm Jack Nowell to Clermont is doing the rounds over here.
Not much surf in the area though....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:58 pm
Robespierre wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:55 pm Jack Nowell to Clermont is doing the rounds over here.
Not much surf in the area though....
Haha!
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Quinn’s announce Danny Wilson will be joining them as lineout and contact coach in the Summer, with Jerry Flannery moving to defence coach
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tom Willis moving to Saracens next Season
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:41 pm Tom Willis moving to Saracens next Season
They must be hard up :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Who knew so many players at one club are willing to accept peanuts as legal tender :smt002
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Sarries have Billy, Wray and Christie all out of contract at the end of the season. I'd be surprised if they retain all three so Willis makes a lot of sense for both parties.

Kicking them over the cap is seems a default outlet for some but I don't see their current squad as suspicious. Scrum-half has gone from Spencer and Wigglesworth to Davies and van Zyl. TH was once Koch, Figallo and Lamositele now it's Riccioni, Judge and Bello. Itoje, Kruis, Skelton and Isiekwe to Itoje, Isiekwe, Tizard and Hunter-Hill. George, Singleton and Woolstencroft to George, Woolstencroft and Pifeleti. Etc etc.

Even some of the remaining big names will be earning far less due to age, injuries and wages as a whole coming down in the Prem. Maitland isn't the player he was. Duncan Taylor will be a small contract after the injuries. Even the Vunipola's, whilst still brilliant players, aren't the gun internationals they were at their peaks.

Someone like McFarland for instance is just brilliant recruitment and coaching not anything dodgy. Where McFarland was when they signed him compared to his performances this season is remarkable. That would be similar value to what Tigers were getting from Porter or Potter as first XV players having signed from Sydney Uni.

Making this argument usually precedes a meltdown from some quarters but, ah well, that's what I think of it.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Their 1st XV is still the best on paper by some way.

I don’t think they’re breaching the cap now but are still having some residual benefits from that time. If nothing else, simply because you tend to have to be offered a decent pay rise to move employer so they’re getting some top players ‘cheap’ or at least cheaper than other clubs could.

Long term I don’t know how you fit Itoje and Farrell into a salary cap with 1 marquee player.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The salary cap is increasing for next season, by £1.4 million?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I can see Billy moving to France post World Cup possibly with his brother
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ABClub wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:39 am Sarries have Billy, Wray and Christie all out of contract at the end of the season. I'd be surprised if they retain all three so Willis makes a lot of sense for both parties.

Kicking them over the cap is seems a default outlet for some but I don't see their current squad as suspicious. Scrum-half has gone from Spencer and Wigglesworth to Davies and van Zyl. TH was once Koch, Figallo and Lamositele now it's Riccioni, Judge and Bello. Itoje, Kruis, Skelton and Isiekwe to Itoje, Isiekwe, Tizard and Hunter-Hill. George, Singleton and Woolstencroft to George, Woolstencroft and Pifeleti. Etc etc.

Even some of the remaining big names will be earning far less due to age, injuries and wages as a whole coming down in the Prem. Maitland isn't the player he was. Duncan Taylor will be a small contract after the injuries. Even the Vunipola's, whilst still brilliant players, aren't the gun internationals they were at their peaks.

Someone like McFarland for instance is just brilliant recruitment and coaching not anything dodgy. Where McFarland was when they signed him compared to his performances this season is remarkable. That would be similar value to what Tigers were getting from Porter or Potter as first XV players having signed from Sydney Uni.

Making this argument usually precedes a meltdown from some quarters but, ah well, that's what I think of it.
Spot on. Most of their squad are, as individuals, nothing special. They just sign players with the right mentality and coach them very well - with a few stars thrown into the mix (like most premiership clubs have).
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

SthrnTiger wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:59 am Their 1st XV is still the best on paper by some way.
Best doesn't necessarily mean most expensive in cap terms though.

1.Vunipola 2.George 3.Riccioni 4.Itoje 5.Isiekwe 6.McFarland 7.Earl 8.Vunipola
9.Davies 10.Farrell 11.Daly 12.Tompkins 13.Lozowski 14.Malins 15.Goode

1.Cronin 2.Montoya 3.Cole 4.Green 5.Chessum 6.Hanro 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Youngs 10.Pollard 11.Potter 12.Kelly 13.Porter 14.Watson 15.Steward

Front row: Must be very similar wage wise
Second row: Definitely Sarries spending more but Itoje and Farrell signed before the drop to 2 marquees so Itoje will be exempt
Back row: Given where McFarland signed from Tigers should be spending more here
Scrum-half: Tigers will be spending a more both on Lenny and 9s in general
Fly-half: Both marquees and big earners
Centre: Kelly and Porter have both re-signed since becoming starters, I doubt they are earning much less here
Back three: With Watson currently a steal Sarries will be spending considerably more this season but Malins is already away, Goode wont be earning what he once was, Tigers will need to re-sign Steward and Watson on bigger contracts to keep them

Once you factor in Itoje being a marquee I reckon the cap spend between starting XVs must be very similar there.
Long term I don’t know how you fit Itoje and Farrell into a salary cap with 1 marquee player.
See Tigerbeats post on the cap due to go back up. Farrell and Itoje signed 'long-term contracts' in 2020. Those will likely not be due to end until the cap goes back up.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dave Ewers moving to Ulster next season. Another blow for Exeter, and with Ulster having signed Kitsoff too they are putting a decent pack together.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:41 pm Dave Ewers moving to Ulster next season. Another blow for Exeter, and with Ulster having signed Kitsoff too they are putting a decent pack together.
Exeter having 1/3 to 1/2 of their starting XV gutted in one season is pretty amazing, not sure we've ever seen it before outside of relegated sides. Makes me wonder what the cause it, Baxter losing the changing room, Covid contracts finally biting or Exeter's finances not as good as they're letting on?