Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Tiglon »

Looking at the Bath squad before these signings I'd be shocked if it was near the cap. Most of their star players were youngsters who have recently broken through and still only borderline internationals at best, or those well into their 30's. A couple of exceptions with Underhill and Cokanasiga, but should still have been a much cheaper squad than the likes of Sarries or Tigers.

Bath have 4(?) current tier one internationals, including Redpath and one who is long term injured.

Tigers have 10-12, depending on your definition of "current".
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

wormus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:22 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:51 pm Looking at Baths outgoing vs incoming prior to these signings I could see there being cap space.

Faletau left with Chris Cloete the nearest to a replacement. Cloete is a good player but that's a huge saving. Also Watson and Rokoduguni gone with Matt Gallagher the most notable back three signing.

Attwood and Quinn Roux came in at lock but Attwood is 35 and was at a loose end due to the Bristol mix up. Whilst I believe Roux has signed a one year deal with a mooted return to Ulster due next season as he wants to be back in Ireland. So if those rumours are to be believed it's unlikely a big deal as one year stop gaps rarely are - see Watson being here.

Piers Francis can't have had big wage demands after the injuries. Louis Schreuder won't have cost much. GJ van Zelze signed from Tel Aviv Heat...

Morozov, Searle, Shillcock and Lee-Warner could very realistically be injury dispensation. That would mean Hill, Lawrence and Barbeary under the cap. It's a buyers market with two clubs going bust. With all three presumably wanting to stay in England due to interantional ambitions I can see it being tight but making sense.

When trying to eye ball whether a squad can fit under the cap the best bet is looking at the clubs second XV IMO. Bath's first XV now looks pretty tasty but a second XV doesn't look absurd at all to me. Meaningless, largely uninformed conjecture from all of us of course but just my tuppence!
Bath have signed 8 players from either Wasps or Worcester this season and looking at the transfers list it looks very close to the cap, but of course Bruce Craig and James Dyson are there to vacuum up the players and use the underside of the carpet too.
Here is the latest Wiki listing of players transfers. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... Gloucester
7 players? Lawrence, Hill and Barbeary as long term then Searle, Shillcock, Lee-Warner and Morozov short term which may well be injury dispensation given Bath's injury list.

As said above they had some high profile players from last season leave without being replaced like for like in terms of cap either. IMO it doesn't look ridiculous when you consider that wages across the board in the Prem have been coming down.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:55 pm
wormus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:22 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:51 pm Looking at Baths outgoing vs incoming prior to these signings I could see there being cap space.

Faletau left with Chris Cloete the nearest to a replacement. Cloete is a good player but that's a huge saving. Also Watson and Rokoduguni gone with Matt Gallagher the most notable back three signing.

Attwood and Quinn Roux came in at lock but Attwood is 35 and was at a loose end due to the Bristol mix up. Whilst I believe Roux has signed a one year deal with a mooted return to Ulster due next season as he wants to be back in Ireland. So if those rumours are to be believed it's unlikely a big deal as one year stop gaps rarely are - see Watson being here.

Piers Francis can't have had big wage demands after the injuries. Louis Schreuder won't have cost much. GJ van Zelze signed from Tel Aviv Heat...

Morozov, Searle, Shillcock and Lee-Warner could very realistically be injury dispensation. That would mean Hill, Lawrence and Barbeary under the cap. It's a buyers market with two clubs going bust. With all three presumably wanting to stay in England due to interantional ambitions I can see it being tight but making sense.

When trying to eye ball whether a squad can fit under the cap the best bet is looking at the clubs second XV IMO. Bath's first XV now looks pretty tasty but a second XV doesn't look absurd at all to me. Meaningless, largely uninformed conjecture from all of us of course but just my tuppence!
Bath have signed 8 players from either Wasps or Worcester this season and looking at the transfers list it looks very close to the cap, but of course Bruce Craig and James Dyson are there to vacuum up the players and use the underside of the carpet too.
Here is the latest Wiki listing of players transfers. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... Gloucester
7 players? Lawrence, Hill and Barbeary as long term then Searle, Shillcock, Lee-Warner and Morozov short term which may well be injury dispensation given Bath's injury list.

As said above they had some high profile players from last season leave without being replaced like for like in terms of cap either. IMO it doesn't look ridiculous when you consider that wages across the board in the Prem have been coming down.
It's also worth noting that Bath are putting up a lot if not all of these guys at Farleigh House as there's some shared residence thing in the grounds. I imagine then that most were renting or in club subsidised accomodation in Worcester and the loss of employment meant their living situation was under threat. How willing would you be to move for a short term lower salary after redundancy if you knew your accomodation, utility bills and probably food were all being covered by your new employer?

Contracts also run from July to June so a third of the annual contract had already run for those guys so again not a massive amount for Bath to cover even for those on long term deals as you'd pro rata the first year.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Throw in Finn Russell, why not, lol
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Kolbe set to quit Franxe apparently
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:38 pm Kolbe set to quit France apparently
....and go to Japan.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:51 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:38 pm Kolbe set to quit France apparently
....and go to Japan.
Thanks,I saw the headline but the link wouldn’t open. Just going to top his pension pot up before the RWC?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Finn Russell to Bath?!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:29 am Finn Russell to Bath?!
Only a faint rumour,, for the moment!
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:25 pm Throw in Finn Russell, why not, lol
From next summer. I think both Cokanasiga and Jonathan Joseph are out of contract then so could be one of them makes way and there's a bit of a reshuffle moving Finn into the marquee spot. Not sure who the marquee is at the minute as there aren't many notable big earners.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:54 am
From next summer. I think both Cokanasiga and Jonathan Joseph are out of contract then so could be one of them makes way and there's a bit of a reshuffle moving Finn into the marquee spot. Not sure who the marquee is at the minute as there aren't many notable big earners.
Big Joe coming here?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:24 am
Big Joe coming here?
No thanks. Injured too often. Would sooner have OHC or Radwan
A2O
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Big Joe coming here?
Here or back to London Irish are the two rumours
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:58 am

Big Joe coming here?
Here or back to London Irish are the two rumours
One suspects this is tied to OHC & possibly Loader. If both come here I'd suspect LI have space to sign Joe while we may not.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

If Bath keep the majority of who they have and add Finn they could be a hell of a team

Finn alongside Redpath and Lawrence with Big Joe outside

Forwards like Stuart, Hill Baylis

International periods would be challenging like for us and Sarries but they could well be a team on the rise