Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by ABClub »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:01 am That is an awful lot of work when we don't know the salary of a single player listed. Of course what is paid to any player is irrelevant all that matters is what they actually bring to the team.
It took about 15 minutes on the train. I used to do analysis in rugby and cricket, still do a bit of it in my spare time. Hence I keep depth charts on clubs. I hadn't done one for Bath yet for next season as there's stuff up in the air, but I had one for Tigers for next season and Bath's from this season.

Looking up Bath's allrugby page and a quick look at their rugbynetwork forum to see likely leavers and joiners, then altering this seasons depth chart took about 5 minutes. Then lining that up next to Tigers depth chart position by position and seeing that back row was the only place they seemed to have heavier investment genuinely took less than a minute. When you look at the prospective squads side by side there's nothing blatantly amiss about the Bath squad.

Then typing up the posts itself took about 10 minutes. I posted that sort of comparison between the '23/24 Tigers and Sarries squads earlier this season after a similar discussion. I swapped out Bath players for Sarries and altered the text beneath as needed with my reasoning about likely spending.

Obviously, we don't know players wages and there is guesswork involved. That is what threads such as these exist for though. We fans are discussing potential player movement to the best extent we can with the information publicly available. So if we're going to guess at cap spend then we might as well offer the logic behind the guesses.

If folk were going to accuse Tigers of (further...) misdeeds with the cap then I'd at least expect an element of showing your working. So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same of someone making accusations around other clubs.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:00 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:01 am That is an awful lot of work when we don't know the salary of a single player listed. Of course what is paid to any player is irrelevant all that matters is what they actually bring to the team.
It took about 15 minutes on the train. I used to do analysis in rugby and cricket, still do a bit of it in my spare time. Hence I keep depth charts on clubs. I hadn't done one for Bath yet for next season as there's stuff up in the air, but I had one for Tigers for next season and Bath's from this season.

Looking up Bath's allrugby page and a quick look at their rugbynetwork forum to see likely leavers and joiners, then altering this seasons depth chart took about 5 minutes. Then lining that up next to Tigers depth chart position by position and seeing that back row was the only place they seemed to have heavier investment genuinely took less than a minute. When you look at the prospective squads side by side there's nothing blatantly amiss about the Bath squad.

Then typing up the posts itself took about 10 minutes. I posted that sort of comparison between the '23/24 Tigers and Sarries squads earlier this season after a similar discussion. I swapped out Bath players for Sarries and altered the text beneath as needed with my reasoning about likely spending.

Obviously, we don't know players wages and there is guesswork involved. That is what threads such as these exist for though. We fans are discussing potential player movement to the best extent we can with the information publicly available. So if we're going to guess at cap spend then we might as well offer the logic behind the guesses.

If folk were going to accuse Tigers of (further...) misdeeds with the cap then I'd at least expect an element of showing your working. So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same of someone making accusations around other clubs.
If there was a like option this would be getting one. Good post.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:13 pm

If there was a like option this would be getting one. Good post.
Yep, very interesting stuff. Love it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Surprised you could do all that while tapping yourself on the back at the same time! :smt005 Joking of course ,but seriously that’s good stuff! You can see it’s a passion of yours and it’s something you’re very good at! :smt023
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Ospreys have replaced Nicky Smith with Steff Thomas from the Scarlets, BBC report also stated Wyn Jones is leaving, destination unknown...think we might have signed the wrong Welsh LH.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Rumours that Wyn Jones off to Bath, I’m sure they have plenty of cap left.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:44 pm Ospreys have replaced Nicky Smith with Steff Thomas from the Scarlets, BBC report also stated Wyn Jones is leaving, destination unknown...think we might have signed the wrong Welsh LH.
Being honest I’d rather have Smith than Jones… better in the set piece and even though not as dominant in the carry is still a solid carrier who has scored a few tries. Think in terms of a fit for the club, Smith is the stronger choice for me.

Plus Smith seems out of favour with Gatland which may help us, certainly in the autumn internationals even if there are no prem games during the 6N.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:13 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:44 pm Ospreys have replaced Nicky Smith with Steff Thomas from the Scarlets, BBC report also stated Wyn Jones is leaving, destination unknown...think we might have signed the wrong Welsh LH.
Being honest I’d rather have Smith than Jones… better in the set piece and even though not as dominant in the carry is still a solid carrier who has scored a few tries. Think in terms of a fit for the club, Smith is the stronger choice for me.

Plus Smith seems out of favour with Gatland which may help us, certainly in the autumn internationals even if there are no prem games during the 6N.
Agreed. Smith is also three years younger and Wyn Jones hasn't been in double digits for games started since 2020/21. Since the Lions tour he's had injuries and dropped down the pecking order for club and country.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Not playing for the Scarlets could be seen as beneficial at present...
Always rated Jones, he might just need a change of scenery. It should be noted he has been playing a bit of TH as well.
Nothing against Smith's signing just personally rate Jones higher.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:02 am Not playing for the Scarlets could be seen as beneficial at present...
Could be right there! They look like we did in the MOC/Murphy era unfortunately.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

Good for them. They’ve got a very mediocre set of backs so hopefully this will be the making of them.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:09 pm Jordie Barrett signs for Leinster: https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/al ... 75741.html
When you've got a top 2 international side already what you need to do is have a couple of worldie fantasy selections.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

When you've got a top 2 international side already what you need to do is have a couple of worldie fantasy selections.
Taniela Tupou to follow it seems.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

albany wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:08 pm
Taniela Tupou to follow it seems.
They are losing their Samoan international back up tighthead and with no homegrown Irish back up come through they simply can't go into a season with just Furlong as a seasoned international tighthead on the books.