Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:12 pm
speedski wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:02 pm Barbery confirmed to Bath on a 'long term' deal.
I wonder if that means Ted Hill will be back on the market.
I think he also signed a "long term contract" with Bath so probably not. Bath doing their best to set up their backrow for the next 5 to 10 years.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Thanks Sam, thought he might have been on an injury cover deal for maybe Underhill, but sounds not to be the case.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Given all the players they have signed Bath must have been way under the cap at the start of the season. Makes you wonder if their plan was just to ride out the season given there was no relegation this year.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:57 am Given all the players they have signed Bath must have been way under the cap at the start of the season. Makes you wonder if their plan was just to ride out the season given there was no relegation this year.
Without injuries they had a squad that could compete. They could also have seen the writing on the wall and gambled on there being some quality players available at cut price.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I thought Bath had a rich backer so find it very strange that they should be so far under the cap given what a poor record they had last season. Obviously if Falateau and Watson salary was not used up then this would explain why they had cap space.
A2O
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:23 am
wigworth wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:57 am Given all the players they have signed Bath must have been way under the cap at the start of the season. Makes you wonder if their plan was just to ride out the season given there was no relegation this year.
Without injuries they had a squad that could compete. They could also have seen the writing on the wall and gambled on there being some quality players available at cut price.
Very possible, it certainly should help speed up any rebuild they had planned under van Graan. Maybe they turn things around as quickly as we did.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Bath had a lot of injuries.
Max injury dispensation is 400k

If they have 400k and other teams are scraping to get 50-60k under the cap then they can get 8 times as many players as other clubs.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:47 am I thought Bath had a rich backer so find it very strange that they should be so far under the cap given what a poor record they had last season. Obviously if Falateau and Watson salary was not used up then this would explain why they had cap space.
I think Bruce Craig is the owner but James Dyson puts any change he finds under the carpet in as well
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=TigerFeetSteve post_id=836484 time=1669030635 user_id=34255]
Bath had a lot of injuries.
Max injury dispensation is 400k

If they have 400k and other teams are scraping to get 50-60k under the cap then they can get 8 times as many players as other clubs.
[/quote]

They have now picked up Barbeary, Ted Hill, and Ollie Lawrence on 'long-term deals'.
Morozov signed until the end of this season.
Shillcock, Searle and Lee-Warner on 'short-term deals'.
That's quite some additional talent added mid-season.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Looking at Baths outgoing vs incoming prior to these signings I could see there being cap space.

Faletau left with Chris Cloete the nearest to a replacement. Cloete is a good player but that's a huge saving. Also Watson and Rokoduguni gone with Matt Gallagher the most notable back three signing.

Attwood and Quinn Roux came in at lock but Attwood is 35 and was at a loose end due to the Bristol mix up. Whilst I believe Roux has signed a one year deal with a mooted return to Ulster due next season as he wants to be back in Ireland. So if those rumours are to be believed it's unlikely a big deal as one year stop gaps rarely are - see Watson being here.

Piers Francis can't have had big wage demands after the injuries. Louis Schreuder won't have cost much. GJ van Zelze signed from Tel Aviv Heat...

Morozov, Searle, Shillcock and Lee-Warner could very realistically be injury dispensation. That would mean Hill, Lawrence and Barbeary under the cap. It's a buyers market with two clubs going bust. With all three presumably wanting to stay in England due to interantional ambitions I can see it being tight but making sense.

When trying to eye ball whether a squad can fit under the cap the best bet is looking at the clubs second XV IMO. Bath's first XV now looks pretty tasty but a second XV doesn't look absurd at all to me. Meaningless, largely uninformed conjecture from all of us of course but just my tuppence!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Signing seven players in two months certainly looks squiffy under the 'eyeball test', especially when there are a couple of England internationals in there.

However, there aren't many in their squad that look like ultra-high earners. Underhill, Joseph, Redpath, Cokanasiga... that's about it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:20 pm Signing seven players in two months certainly looks squiffy under the 'eyeball test', especially when there are a couple of England internationals in there.

However, there aren't many in their squad that look like ultra-high earners. Underhill, Joseph, Redpath, Cokanasiga... that's about it.
And one of those is definitely eligible for injury cap dispensation
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub point re second XV is an excellent one. This was one of the pointers that Saracens were up to no good the fact that their 2nd XV full of tier 1 internationals
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Quins confirm the Launchbury signing for next year
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

ABClub wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:51 pm Looking at Baths outgoing vs incoming prior to these signings I could see there being cap space.

Faletau left with Chris Cloete the nearest to a replacement. Cloete is a good player but that's a huge saving. Also Watson and Rokoduguni gone with Matt Gallagher the most notable back three signing.

Attwood and Quinn Roux came in at lock but Attwood is 35 and was at a loose end due to the Bristol mix up. Whilst I believe Roux has signed a one year deal with a mooted return to Ulster due next season as he wants to be back in Ireland. So if those rumours are to be believed it's unlikely a big deal as one year stop gaps rarely are - see Watson being here.

Piers Francis can't have had big wage demands after the injuries. Louis Schreuder won't have cost much. GJ van Zelze signed from Tel Aviv Heat...

Morozov, Searle, Shillcock and Lee-Warner could very realistically be injury dispensation. That would mean Hill, Lawrence and Barbeary under the cap. It's a buyers market with two clubs going bust. With all three presumably wanting to stay in England due to interantional ambitions I can see it being tight but making sense.

When trying to eye ball whether a squad can fit under the cap the best bet is looking at the clubs second XV IMO. Bath's first XV now looks pretty tasty but a second XV doesn't look absurd at all to me. Meaningless, largely uninformed conjecture from all of us of course but just my tuppence!
Bath have signed 8 players from either Wasps or Worcester this season and looking at the transfers list it looks very close to the cap, but of course Bruce Craig and James Dyson are there to vacuum up the players and use the underside of the carpet too.
Here is the latest Wiki listing of players transfers. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2 ... Gloucester