Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Offside »

Dean Ryan may have been a case study for SB regarding taking your England opportunity when available. After Andy Robinson his name was suggested but he ruled himself out. After we beat them in the playoffs that year he has never really been at that level again. Seems to leave with short statements for both sides. May be how he likes it but always seems to be hiding a fall out.
I do not think he has the track record now for Tigers.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Northampton Saints sign Curtis Langdon, formerly of Sale and Worcester, now with Montpellier, for the 2023/24 season.

Good signing from stains - maybe Hayward moving on/retiring for them.

Good player Langdon, similar in style to Dolly. Good to see him back in the Premiership.

https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... is-langdon
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Kirsten leaving Exeter for Bulls,big loss
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:15 am Kirsten leaving Exeter for Bulls,big loss
With the SA teams having access to better competition money, more SA players will stay or return there...this is the flip side of letting them into the URC & "European" competition.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:25 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:15 am Kirsten leaving Exeter for Bulls,big loss
With the SA teams having access to better competition money, more SA players will stay or return there...this is the flip side of letting them into the URC & "European" competition.
Good! I understand it but I hate it when players go abroad for the money ,unless it’s the back end of their career and it’s a pension pot top up.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:27 am
Good! I understand it but I hate it when players go abroad for the money ,unless it’s the back end of their career and it’s a pension pot top up.
There are 2 rather important players at Tigers that fit that description.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Can't say I agree. Sometimes players use their career as a way to see the world and experience different cultures. Not everyone wants to spend their entire life living in their home town.

Sometimes it's difficult to grow and reach their potential where they are. Great example think Leo Cullen, came to Tigers to develop went home and ended up as captain and cornerstone of the forwards set up.

It's not always about the money.

I don't think Kirsten was a fixture in the Bulls side, had already dipped his toe in the water with a spell at Toyota in Japan before joining Chiefs. He'll go back now and probably feature heavily whilst still in his prime as a better player then when he left.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:25 pm

Can't say I agree. Sometimes players use their career as a way to see the world and experience different cultures. Not everyone wants to spend their entire life living in their home town.

Sometimes it's difficult to grow and reach their potential where they are. Great example think Leo Cullen, came to Tigers to develop went home and ended up as captain and cornerstone of the forwards set up.

It's not always about the money.

I don't think Kirsten was a fixture in the Bulls side, had already dipped his toe in the water with a spell at Toyota in Japan before joining Chiefs. He'll go back now and probably feature heavily whilst still in his prime as a better player then when he left.
Oh I agree that it's definitely not a one size fits all.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I do wonder where the money is coming from for the SA franchises to bring these players back to SA 'domestic' rugby as the crowds in the URC are awful so can't be generating much, if any, revenue.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rumors that André Esterhuizen might be leaving Harlequins for Lyon.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wigworth wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:48 pm Rumors that André Esterhuizen might be leaving Harlequins for Lyon.
Stated false be the CEO of Quins (and given he's under contract till 2025 his CEO would have to ok it)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Northampton Saints have signed South African centre Burger Odendaal for the 2023/24 season.

https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... ton-saints

Interesting signing, with Dingwall, Hutchinson and Proctor already in the centres with Saints - one of them on the move perhaps?
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:05 pm Northampton Saints have signed South African centre Burger Odendaal for the 2023/24 season.

Interesting signing, with Dingwall, Hutchinson and Proctor already in the centres with Saints - one of them on the move perhaps?
Big signing that…jealous.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

speedski wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:47 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:05 pm Northampton Saints have signed South African centre Burger Odendaal for the 2023/24 season.

Big signing that…jealous.
Saints are developing a strong squad
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jack Nowell to Clermont is doing the rounds over here.
Semper in excretia