Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Robespierre »

News about three ex Wasps who are heading for SW France:

Tom Willis is apparently already in Bordeaux and could make his début for Bordeaux/Bègles on Saturday 26th November away to Perpignan.
Brother Jack could be available for selection with Toulouse in early December after the Autumn Tests.
Dan Robson is said to be signing for Pau this week and he too may make his début at home to Brive on the 26th.
Semper in excretia
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Umaga signed with Benetton until 2024
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Barbeary confirmed to Bath!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:57 pm Barbeary confirmed to Bath!
How can they possibly get him within their salary cap after signing Shillcock, Hill and Lawrence :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Whilst I feel that every argument is trumped by the need to get players with no jobs into clubs, there is a debate about the parity of the competition. Clubs who played Bath during the first half a dozen matches of the season would have a considerably easier time of it than those playing them now that they have recruited in a number of Worcester and Wasps best players.

As I said, getting people in jobs is the most important thing and with no relegation this season, it is a bit of a moot point but during a normal season, Bath could move from relegation threat to a respectably high finish simply based on the misfortune of other clubs.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:15 pm Whilst I feel that every argument is trumped by the need to get players with no jobs into clubs, there is a debate about the parity of the competition. Clubs who played Bath during the first half a dozen matches of the season would have a considerably easier time of it than those playing them now that they have recruited in a number of Worcester and Wasps best players.

As I said, getting people in jobs is the most important thing and with no relegation this season, it is a bit of a moot point but during a normal season, Bath could move from relegation threat to a respectably high finish simply based on the misfortune of other clubs.
Fantastic point! And I never thought of it that way
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:15 pm Whilst I feel that every argument is trumped by the need to get players with no jobs into clubs, there is a debate about the parity of the competition. Clubs who played Bath during the first half a dozen matches of the season would have a considerably easier time of it than those playing them now that they have recruited in a number of Worcester and Wasps best players.

I sympathise with what you are saying but if there is no cut off date to when one can sign players, if clubs legitimately have cash still available, then that's just "rub of the Green"
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:21 pm

Fantastic point! And I never thought of it that way
Whilst in no way making excuses, we lost at the end of the day, but would that result have been the same if we played Bath without the Worcester recruits, if we played the Bath squad that started the season. Since they have been able to pick up free agent players en masse, 3 wins in a row when they could not buy a win before hand.

As I said, I am sort of making an argument for arguments sake as I would never be making a serious point that players should be left without clubs until next year but in another year and if you were fighting for premiership survival, you may have a point to make.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:24 pm

I sympathise with what you are saying but if there is no cut off date to when one can sign players, if clubs legitimately have cash still available, then that's just "rub of the Green"
Totally agree, almost. Much would depend on if players are being signed on very low wages given the situation. It is still the rub of the green but also very unusual with most signings only being injury dispensation after the season starts.

Also makes you wonder how far below the cap some clubs went into this season.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:31 pm

Totally agree, almost. Much would depend on if players are being signed on very low wages given the situation. It is still the rub of the green but also very unusual with most signings only being injury dispensation after the season starts.

Makes you wonder doesn't it! Don't forget though we got Atkinson under the same circumstances, Bath used theirs, sadly we only gave ours a few minutes and in the wrong position.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

GB72 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:31 pm

I have mentioned this before but Premiership Rugby really should publish some sort of data about the clubs yearly or monthly spending around the salary cap.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Rather enjoyed Austin's little dig at the end of the Bath/Leicester match commentary. After complimenting their much improved 2nd half performance he said "Bath Warriors" just about deserved their victory!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Good luck to Bath, if they have enough cap left to employ out of work players that’s great, let’s not be bitter about it!!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:26 pm Good luck to Bath, if they have enough cap left to employ out of work players that’s great, let’s not be bitter about it!!!
If indeed
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

If Launchbury was getting offers in the £60k region from Prem clubs then I think it's fair to assume that many players will have taken extremely low deals simply to have a wage coming in and continue their careers.

Trying to double guess cap space in these circumstances by estimating players out vs players in etc is near impossible.

Bath's squad at the start of the season wouldn't strike me as having lots of very high earners. I'd guess the likes of Underhill, Ben Spencer, JJ and Big Joe would be their highest earners for instance. All should be well paid but not earning what the likes of Genge and Sinckler will be without being marquees. They also have a lot of long term injuries to cover I believe?