Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:41 pm Dave Ewers moving to Ulster next season. Another blow for Exeter, and with Ulster having signed Kitsoff too they are putting a decent pack together.
Exeter having 1/3 to 1/2 of their starting XV gutted in one season is pretty amazing, not sure we've ever seen it before outside of relegated sides. Makes me wonder what the cause it, Baxter losing the changing room, Covid contracts finally biting or Exeter's finances not as good as they're letting on?
Am I right in saying the emergency sale of the hotel hasn't gone through? The one that would keep them solvent? Maybe alternative routes explored?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Kpj, I think it’s a mixture of all you mentioned plus that side that was successful is coming to the end of its life and the contracts just aren’t on the table.

To my knowledge that’s Kirsten, Vermullen, Ewers, Sam Simmonds, Cowan Dickie, all confirmed as leaving and Nowell and Joe Simmonds rumoured to be off.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm Kpj, I think it’s a mixture of all you mentioned plus that side that was successful is coming to the end of its life and the contracts just aren’t on the table.

To my knowledge that’s Kirsten, Vermullen, Ewers, Sam Simmonds, Cowan Dickie, all confirmed as leaving and Nowell and Joe Simmonds rumoured to be off.
I agree with you they had a excellent run with those players but it is time for a refresh, the Champions Cup and Prem win seems to have been the great last hurrah for them and they have gone a little stale since. It will be interesting to see if Baxter can rebuild for another great run.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm Kpj, I think it’s a mixture of all you mentioned plus that side that was successful is coming to the end of its life and the contracts just aren’t on the table.

Its an awful lot to replace in one refresh, especially if they aren't in the best financial state (along with most of the league)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Have to feel sorry for Chiefs ,how much more would they hadve won without Sarries cheating? 3,4 more titles?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

My French is awful does that say he’s off to Stade as he was rumoured to be going to Racing.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:39 pm My French is awful does that say he’s off to Stade as he was rumoured to be going to Racing.
To Pau as Zack Henry is leaving for Stade
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:45 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:39 pm My French is awful does that say he’s off to Stade as he was rumoured to be going to Racing.
I now I have 'China in Your Hand' in my head :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Section Paloise is Pau! Zack Henry to Stade Français!
Semper in excretia
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Well he’s unlikely to get a shot at England, so it’s understandable..
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:49 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:45 pm
I now I have 'China in Your Hand' in my head :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Oh I had a thing for Carol Decker
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

It is indeed very sad to see what is happening at Exeter and it shows how leniently Saracens were treated when you consider the repercussions. In hindsight the salary cap was far to high to be sustainable for most clubs (including Tigers)anyway, and then we added in the misery of lockdown and the subsequent loss of earnings to all clubs. However it was the continuous abuse of those rules that pushed clubs to the very edge of breaking point trying to keep up, that has led to the catastrophic issues of finances in the game today. Yes Wasps were mis managed and Worcester got taken over by sharks (not Sale obvs!), but the hitherto well managed clubs like Exeter are pushed to brink trying to win a championship that was stacked against them. Now they are having a fire sale to salvage the wreckage and little silverware to show for their "Glory Days" ... the authorities responsible should hang their heads in shame.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

At the time I thought the punishment given to Sarries was about right, was never practical to take trophies off them.
With the benefit of that wonderful thing hindsight, Mightymouse is entirely correct the damage done to other clubs in trying to keep pace with Sarries over an extended period has had long and far reaching consequences
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

The closest example to a club losing this many starting players would probably be the 2020/2021 season for us where we lost May, Thompstone, Holmes, Spencer, Thompson, Kalamafoni, Polota-Nau, Veainu, Tuilagi, Taufua and Bateman but that was due to the contract 5 and Borthwick coming in and refreshing the squad.