Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by sam16111986 »

The SA Rugby Mag has this paragraph in the signing news;

"The loose forward has not played a minute of rugby since and only made eight appearances last season, but the Bulls have offered him the opportunity to complete his rehabilitation and breathe new life into his rugby career."

Whereas the Mercury article seems to suggest he'll start playing again imminently.

I guess we'll see how quickly he returns to action.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

It’s rumoured that Exeter’s Sam Simmonds will replace Zach Mercer at Montpellier next season.
Semper in excretia
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:52 am It’s rumoured that Exeter’s Sam Simmonds will replace Zach Mercer at Montpellier next season.
It's been reported on a few different online media sites. Be a big loss for Exeter.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:38 am
Robespierre wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:52 am It’s rumoured that Exeter’s Sam Simmonds will replace Zach Mercer at Montpellier next season.
It's been reported on a few different online media sites. Be a big loss for Exeter.
It is a big loss but at the same time it might encourage them to adapt their backrow for the better. Sign an actual openside and maybe a big ball carrying 8. Give them some more options than the three hybrid 6/locks they are playing in the backrow currently.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just been confirmed by Ali Hepher on BT.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

For what it's worth, Ruck are reporting Jack Nowell is off to France at the end of the season
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 am For what it's worth, Ruck are reporting Jack Nowell is off to France at the end of the season
I would be very surprised. Jack loves his costal life style surfing speedboats etc and has a young family. I suppose it’s not out of the question that he have a couple of years by the med somewhere it’s warmer than the Atlantic
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 am For what it's worth, Ruck are reporting Jack Nowell is off to France at the end of the season
I would not be too surprised of this is the first of quite a few to try and cross the chanel. I can only see salaries going down at English Clubs and with the uncertainty that Worcester and Wasps have created, I can understand why players would be looking for the relative safety of the French league.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Just listening to the Rugby Pod (Goodey and Jim) and they interviewed Ollie Lawrence, he mentioned while the future of the team is up in the air there are players (sounded like himself included) looking for loan moves until the situation is finalized one way or the other
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The biggest problem for any of the Worcester players looking for a club in the Premiership is that there will be many that cannot afford it or have used all the salary cap.
Options would be looking for contracts in France on reduced salaries to keep them employed and earning….not a great time for rugby!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:47 pm The biggest problem for any of the Worcester players looking for a club in the Premiership is that there will be many that cannot afford it or have used all the salary cap.
Options would be looking for contracts in France on reduced salaries to keep them employed and earning….not a great time for rugby!
I know that it does not help with the finances but I guess they could go on loan to a club on a nominal rate if just to get access to training and facilities and stay sharp whlst this is sorted.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Alternatively, the RFU could allow clubs to sign outside the cap if it is to keep a player in a job.
A few years ago Widnes Vikings went into administration, from memory all the players were released from their contracts, and clubs picking them up had their salary exempt from the cap, but only for the life of the contract they signed. Contract extensions meant they fell back within the cap. For instance, clubs like Tigers, Sarries, Quins, Saints etc could pick up the likes of Ted Hill, Ollie Lawrence to keep them in this country and available for England. Yes it may make the league gap a bit wider to the likes of Falcons who couldn’t afford them, but equally may close the gap in Europe.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Has there been any push from the RPA to try and find a solution for these players?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:48 pm Has there been any push from the RPA to try and find a solution for these players?
I’m sure they must be involved. I just caught some of the Ollie Lawrence interview and he talked mainly about talks with PRL and RFU
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

there's not a lot that can be done until the contracts are breached by missing wages, until they the club would have to agree to a loan or grant a release