Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:32 pm
speedski wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 pm Bath sign Guy Pepper from Newcastle on a three year deal.

Another good signing...
Been mentioned in dispatches for a while though only just confirmed. He won’t be going there as back up he’s too good, so wonder if it indicates Underhill moving on
He's an uncapped 20 year old. He'll be there as rotation initially and likely taking Cloete's spot in the squad. it's not like Pepper is going to be massively expensive, Falcons apparently offered to match what Bath were offering (deal done before Diamond joined).

Given that opensides cop just about the most injuries going and Underhill in particular has no luck plus England commitments fitting them both into the squad shouldn't be an issue.
Take your point. This was the player who was stand out for England A and called into English training squad because of it. There are plenty of good open sides at premiership clubs but he won’t have been sort of suitors.
Suggesting he’ll be rotation initially isn’t fair imo I would fully expect him to be pushing for a World Cup spot in 3 years time
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Underhill has just signed a new contract, so he's not going anywhere.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:08 pm Underhill has just signed a new contract, so he's not going anywhere.
Thanks. Lots of depth at 7 there then. I suppose Underhill injury record and absence with England means there will be plenty of opportunity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:50 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:32 pm

Been mentioned in dispatches for a while though only just confirmed. He won’t be going there as back up he’s too good, so wonder if it indicates Underhill moving on
He's an uncapped 20 year old. He'll be there as rotation initially and likely taking Cloete's spot in the squad. it's not like Pepper is going to be massively expensive, Falcons apparently offered to match what Bath were offering (deal done before Diamond joined).

Given that opensides cop just about the most injuries going and Underhill in particular has no luck plus England commitments fitting them both into the squad shouldn't be an issue.
Take your point. This was the player who was stand out for England A and called into English training squad because of it. There are plenty of good open sides at premiership clubs but he won’t have been sort of suitors.
Suggesting he’ll be rotation initially isn’t fair imo I would fully expect him to be pushing for a World Cup spot in 3 years time
He was brought in for the final week when there was no prospect of him actually playing. It was an apprentice selection. As you say in three and a bit years time I suspect he'll be very much in the reckoning but there's a lot of learning and development between them and now and he's only 20.

A season of rotation and understudy and then on it's a shoot out for the starting shirt I'd have thought. I sometimes think there's to big an expectation for players to go from bright young talent to essential first team starter. Bath like a 6-2 bench there's every chance he can be in and around the 23 every week even if he's not starting.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 pm
Tiglon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:08 pm Underhill has just signed a new contract, so he's not going anywhere.
Thanks. Lots of depth at 7 there then. I suppose Underhill injury record and absence with England means there will be plenty of opportunity
Cloete is supposed to be leaving would leave Underhill and then utility backrow Miles Reid so they would have been in the market for an openside and Pepper is a good replacement for Cloete.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:23 pm

He was brought in for the final week when there was no prospect of him actually playing. It was an apprentice selection. As you say in three and a bit years time I suspect he'll be very much in the reckoning but there's a lot of learning and development between them and now and he's only 20.

A season of rotation and understudy and then on it's a shoot out for the starting shirt I'd have thought. I sometimes think there's to big an expectation for players to go from bright young talent to essential first team starter. Bath like a 6-2 bench there's every chance he can be in and around the 23 every week even if he's not starting.
It’s a very good point about player expectations. He is an established premiership player, but very young. I wonder if that’s why Ilione isn’t getting the game time many would hope for
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:26 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:23 pm

It’s a very good point about player expectations. He is an established premiership player, but very young. I wonder if that’s why Ilione isn’t getting the game time many would hope for
I think Ilione was used to being physically dominant at age grade level and is having to adapt his game now he's got to senior level. He played lock and 8 for England under 20s and there's no chance he could that at senior level. He looked a very good linking openside off the bench Vs Glaws but got tackled into touch which will have frustrated him. He's nearly there.
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

Heard from someone in the know that Pepper was offered double what Falcons were paying him by Exeter last season but decided to stay under the guidance of Mark Wilson, will welch and Sean Robinson but now as Wilson has set his own gym up and the others have retired it’s the right time for him to move on.

Falcons continue as the feeder club
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jonny Gray leaves Exeter with immediate effect
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:56 pm Jonny Gray leaves Exeter with immediate effect
Hasn't played all season so makes sense for him to head over to Bordeaux earlier if it suits all parties.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Edwards signed by Bristol. Apols if already posted on another thread. Given his early release he'll probably score the winning try against us on Saturday
As Good As It Gets