Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by WhitecapTiger »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:49 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:45 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:39 pm My French is awful does that say he’s off to Stade as he was rumoured to be going to Racing.
To Pau as Zack Henry is leaving for Stade
I now I have 'China in Your Hand' in my head :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Makes me want to watch Star Trek :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:50 pm The closest example to a club losing this many starting players would probably be the 2020/2021 season for us where we lost May, Thompstone, Holmes, Spencer, Thompson, Kalamafoni, Polota-Nau, Veainu, Tuilagi, Taufua and Bateman but that was due to the contract 5 and Borthwick coming in and refreshing the squad.
Turned out pretty well for us… imagine Exeter hoping to repeat it.

With the salary cap and no relegation a complete refresh does make more sense then trying to compete with France wages for the English players without a shot at England.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:50 pm The closest example to a club losing this many starting players would probably be the 2020/2021 season for us where we lost May, Thompstone, Holmes, Spencer, Thompson, Kalamafoni, Polota-Nau, Veainu, Tuilagi, Taufua and Bateman but that was due to the contract 5 and Borthwick coming in and refreshing the squad.
Looking at the demographic of the players that are leaving, could just be that Exeter see an opportunity for a big rebuild with no threat of relegation, like we did. Still pretty drastic.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:15 pm
Looking at the demographic of the players that are leaving, could just be that Exeter see an opportunity for a big rebuild with no threat of relegation, like we did. Still pretty drastic.
I think a lot of it is players - particularly those in around or close to the England fold - taking an opportunity that has presented itself post RWC and which previously wasn’t as attractive due to their age and the bigger salary cap.

To those in their mid/late 20s this is potentially now far more attractive.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Gareth Simpson soon to be announced as a new signing for Western Force.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicester Fainganuka reportedly off to France with 2 top 14 teams interested in signing him according to Ballcarrier
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:15 pm
Exeter re-signed 30 players before the Covid cap reduction deadline meaning only 75% of their salaries counted towards the cap. We're now seeing a lot of those guys come up for renewal facing much reduced contracts.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Ruben Van Heerden leaves Exeter for the Stormers on a short term deal, he'd looked like a really good signing as well.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:16 pm Ruben Van Heerden leaves Exeter for the Stormers on a short term deal, he'd looked like a really good signing as well.
Another one parting ways. Did I read Jonny Gray was heading back to Glasgow too or did I imagine that.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Kurtley Beale has been stood down from rugby immediately following allegations of sexual misconduct
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:16 pm Ruben Van Heerden leaves Exeter for the Stormers on a short term deal, he'd looked like a really good signing as well.
The rebrand should have been to Exodus Chiefs
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:04 pm
The rebrand should have been to Exodus Chiefs
Exiting chiefs…
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Harry Williams linked with a move to France. It seems the players are showing their levels of confidence in the club's financial security since announcement that the Hotel is being sold to help liquidity
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:34 pm Harry Williams linked with a move to France. It seems the players are showing their levels of confidence in the club's financial security since announcement that the Hotel is being sold to help liquidity
I think actually that this is the cost of the £5M salary cap. Chiefs renewed contacts during the pandemic (3 years ago) and the contracts that are now on the table aren’t as competitive.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The other thing with Exeter is that a lot of their first XV have been just below international level or on the fringes for England. They're all at ages now where they know England just isn't going to happen for then and it's last chance to get a bigger contract overseas.