Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Robespierre »

Christian Wade has resurfaced - but not in England!
He's going to play 7s for Racing92 and could also be a medical joker replacement for league winger Regan Grace.
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:23 pm Christian Wade has resurfaced - but not in England!
He's going to play 7s for Racing92 and could also be a medical joker replacement for league winger Regan Grace.
Suspect a move to Wasps fell through based on his tweets before they got into difficulty
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I see Gloucester have confirmed Zach Mercer for the season after this one. Cracking signing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:55 pm I see Gloucester have confirmed Zach Mercer for the season after this one. Cracking signing.
Good move for Eddie Jones too as he will be a Gloucester player by RWC and therefore selectable
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:07 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:55 pm I see Gloucester have confirmed Zach Mercer for the season after this one. Cracking signing.
Good move for Eddie Jones too as he will be a Gloucester player by RWC and therefore selectable
On current form (last season’s), he’ll be a shoo-in, leap-frogging Dombrandt. We’ll all be watching to see if his form continues in the new Top14 season(for those of you who don’t read the French rugby thread 😏, it begins this weekend and Montpellier travel to Bordeaux/Bégles!)
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Totally agree Robespierre. Billy V had a decent summer tour, but Dombrandt hasn’t taken his chances and IMO Simmonds has missed the boat now.
The great thing about Mercer is that although 8 is his best position he can genuinely play right across the back row.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

wonder if Hanro would have a shout on residency grounds in a couple of years?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:12 pm wonder if Hanro would have a shout on residency grounds in a couple of years?
Apparently because of when he played for South Africa u20 they were graded at a certain level he is unable to play for another country. I’m sure someone can explain it better than me.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:01 pm Totally agree Robespierre. Billy V had a decent summer tour, but Dombrandt hasn’t taken his chances and IMO Simmonds has missed the boat now.
The great thing about Mercer is that although 8 is his best position he can genuinely play right across the back row.
Oops! I’d forgotten about Billy V! However, he must be nearing the twilight of his Test career, I’d have thought.
Semper in excretia
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:09 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:12 pm wonder if Hanro would have a shout on residency grounds in a couple of years?
Apparently because of when he played for South Africa u20 they were graded at a certain level he is unable to play for another country. I’m sure someone can explain it better than me.
Until 2018 the Junior 'Boks/U20 were the nations designated second team, and as such he is "captured" as a SA player unless he has an English family connection to allow him to switch allegiance.

I believe that regulation changed at the same time as the other residency/qualification criteria, to stop nations "locking in" young players at that age.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:01 pm Totally agree Robespierre. Billy V had a decent summer tour, but Dombrandt hasn’t taken his chances and IMO Simmonds has missed the boat now.
Oops! I’d forgotten about Billy V! However, he must be nearing the twilight of his Test career, I’d have thought.
At 29 he's most definitely past it! :smt002 :smt003
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Would he not be eligible via the 36 month stand down? Folau, Fekitoa, Piatau played tier 1 internationals but have been allowed to go back to play for Tonga due to standing down.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:22 pm
Is he only 29? Sorry BV, thought you were well into your 30s!
Semper in excretia
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:23 pm
Would he not be eligible via the 36 month stand down? Folau, Fekitoa, Piatau played tier 1 internationals but have been allowed to go back to play for Tonga due to standing down.
Playing for a second nation after that stand down can only be due to birth, parent or grandparent rules rather than residency so Liebenberg is tied to SA. Tier 1 or tier 2 has nothing to do with the rules though they were of course largely brought in to aid tier 2 nations.

SA's designated second team was their U20s but you are only tied if playing against another designated second team. Hence some players are U20 capped but not tied. Liebenberg did play for the SA U20s against another designated second team so he's tied in.

Hanro has got to be one of the best players around without a full cap. Jacques du Plessis, another fantastic South African blindside in the same era as Pieter-Steph du Toit, is another in that bracket. Injuries have sadly held him up since his return to the Bulls but he was consistently brilliant for Montpellier for a long time. An absolute beast.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:28 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:22 pm
Is he only 29? Sorry BV, thought you were well into your 30s!
He broke through so early it's easy to think so. Scary to think it's more than a decade ago now that a younger, lighter Billy was making bullocking breaks for Wasps.