Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:20 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:59 pm https://twitter.com/jameswhile/status/1 ... 4LQXw&s=19

Falcons may have got rid of their DOR
Would be a good attack coach pick up
7 points off their points haul from last season in 16 games compared to 24. Walder has done a decent job there and if he'd been allowed to keep overhauling the squad they could have gone further.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... ee/1385815 It seems as if Jack Willis has said a temporary au revoir to his England career by signing an extension to his contract with Toulouse, unless he knows something we don’t that maybe England Rugby are extending the exceptional circumstances of eligibility?
Semper in excretia
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:30 pm https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... ee/1385815 It seems as if Jack Willis has said a temporary au revoir to his England career by signing an extension to his contract with Toulouse, unless he knows something we don’t that maybe England Rugby are extending the exceptional circumstances of eligibility?
..or that, ultimately, he doesn't feature in Borthwicks plans?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I cannot see how there can be anything but change in the England approach. Realistically the clubs cannot afford to pay the big wages (reports say Nowell was offered double what Exeter could pay) and with that in mind, even the annual top up with England match fees may not get close to what can be earned abroad. Rugby is a short career and so, until the Premiership comes up with a way of actually making enough money, the players are going to have to look at all options.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

fentiger wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:42 pm
Robespierre wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:30 pm https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... ee/1385815 It seems as if Jack Willis has said a temporary au revoir to his England career by signing an extension to his contract with Toulouse, unless he knows something we don’t that maybe England Rugby are extending the exceptional circumstances of eligibility?
Yes, that's a possibility, but a remote one in my point of view as I would think he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Semper in excretia
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

What clubs could really afford him? I am guessing most would already have already had plans as to what they wanted to do in the coming offseason before the two the clubs blew up so would have had to pivot hard to try and sign him. The only club that really springs to mind is Exeter and Baxter has said they are tightening the purse strings for the coming seasons.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:46 pm
Yes, that's a possibility, but a remote one in my point of view as I would think he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet.
He is, undoubtedly, a very good player but I wonder if there's something holding him back on the international stage?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

fentiger wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:19 pm

He is, undoubtedly, a very good player but I wonder if there's something holding him back on the international stage?
Or maybe he's only thinking of his financial gain!
Semper in excretia
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Tom Curry obviously first choice. After that Tom Pearson probably in the conversation. Has Willis done much of merit in an England shirt, not against top rare opposition he hasn’t.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:23 pm

Tom Curry obviously first choice. After that Tom Pearson probably in the conversation. Has Willis done much of merit in an England shirt, not against top rare opposition he hasn’t.
At present, Jack Willis only has seven caps so not much opportunity against top opposition. True that he didn’t shine against France, but who did?, but will hopefully keep his place for the Irish. I’ve not seen Pearson play but from what I’ve read he may well be included in the World Cup squad
Semper in excretia
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Dillon Lewis joining Quins. Good pick up for them.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rob Simmons of L Irish has signed for Clermont on a two-year contract.
Semper in excretia
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

wigworth wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:18 pm What clubs could really afford him? I am guessing most would already have already had plans as to what they wanted to do in the coming offseason before the two the clubs blew up so would have had to pivot hard to try and sign him. The only club that really springs to mind is Exeter and Baxter has said they are tightening the purse strings for the coming seasons.
Down in Exeter for the weekend (Mum's 90th) and lots of talk how far down the financial swannee Chiefs were going until they flogged a lot of their assets, Rowe paying the losses has run out. The crowds are thinning out as well, probably given the prices. My siblings gave up their STs last year but remain fans. My youngest brother, who lives 50m from the suspension bridge into Sandy Park, has moved in with his girlfriend and rented his house out to Chiefs - billeting 3 Chiefs women there and lining his pockets with £££ :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:57 pm
wigworth wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:18 pm What clubs could really afford him? I am guessing most would already have already had plans as to what they wanted to do in the coming offseason before the two the clubs blew up so would have had to pivot hard to try and sign him. The only club that really springs to mind is Exeter and Baxter has said they are tightening the purse strings for the coming seasons.
Down in Exeter for the weekend (Mum's 90th) and lots of talk how far down the financial swannee Chiefs were going until they flogged a lot of their assets, Rowe paying the losses has run out. The crowds are thinning out as well, probably given the prices. My siblings gave up their STs last year but remain fans. My youngest brother, who lives 50m from the suspension bridge into Sandy Park, has moved in with his girlfriend and rented his house out to Chiefs - billeting 3 Chiefs women there and lining his pockets with £££ :smt005
I wonder how much the Saracens issue affected Tony Rowe's love of the wider sport. From his perspective, what's the point in investing if you can cheat, be punished but still keep the trophies (and I appreciate the last point is not black and white, is far more nuanced etc).

But you can see how, particularly so off his main company, he'd be less willing to put his hand in his pocket as often.