New captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

New captain

Post by tigerburnie »

With Tom Youngs retiring thoughts turn to the clubs replacement, Hanro Liebenberg is currently vice captain and for me seems a logical choice, but then there's Montoya and maybe Wells, are they also in the frame? I'd like to see Wells as a vice captain with maybe Steward as vc from the backs as we had this season.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New captain

Post by RunTigerRun »

I’d like to see the captain available all year round so Hanro for me.

With Montoya, JVP and Guy Porter in the frame for VC.

Montoya - Puma captain and you can see the passion the guy has.

JVP - captained a few times in the Prem cup and with England U20s, also likely available all year round.

Guy Porter - bit left field but captained Sydney Uni, likely to be here all year round and again always gives 100%.

Difficulty for JVP and Porter is they’re not necessarily nailed on in the 23 with quality around them. But future captain Material there in my eyes. If Porter stays with Tigers (which I really hope he does for a long time!), I can see him being given a leadership role.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

For me there's two real candidates

1. Liebenberg
2. Montoya

Personally I'd go with Liebenberg and have Montoya as VC based primarily on the amount of the season Montoya may be away.

Other outside candidates

Youngs - don't see it happening but has captained a few times this year

JVP - clearly seen as having leadership potential given he's captained us a number of times this year, but until he's a no.1 pick each week I don't see it happening.

Can't see either Steward or Wells being one of the tbh.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

For me only one choice - Liebenberg
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hanro for me,Wells VC
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Captain has to be one of the 1st names on the team sheet when picking your strongest side and ideally available throughout the season. Only 1 name for me Liebenberg.
VC can be taken from your leadership group and who is available, or on the paddock, when the skipper isn’t.
Knowing the way SB likes to develop the younger squad members, I think there is plenty of candidates in the likes of JVP, Reffell, Chessum, Martin, and one who stands out for me Kelly, though he needs to stop the back chat and the arm waving first
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Hanro for me and I like the idea of Wells as a VC

I agree the Montoya is an outstanding candidate but I think he has a lot on his plate with the pumas and him not being here for a chunk of the first half of the Season.. let him concentrate o being the outstanding player he is when he returns to the squad.. he leads by example.

We’ve had some outstanding Hookers over the years but this fella really stands out .. he’s the player who I hoped Gheraldini would have been but it never quite came off for us.

Hanro for skipper .. here all the time .. pretty much guaranteed a place unless rested .. great discipline and never seems to have a bad game
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not convinced about Wells being in that leadership group, or even being in the starting match day 15. Doesn’t seem to have that natural standing for me, as committed a player as he is. Seems very quiet and Chessum and arguably Snyman are now ahead of him
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Hanro all day for.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:05 am Not convinced about Wells being in that leadership group, or even being in the starting match day 15. Doesn’t seem to have that natural standing for me, as committed a player as he is. Seems very quiet and Chessum and arguably Snyman are now ahead of him
Wells has started 22/28 games across all competitions this season. Always leads by example and is arguably one of our most improved players,and he has that dog. Snyman 13/20 and Chessum 13/21.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:49 pm For me only one choice - Liebenberg
Agreed. Lots of very good candidates but Hanro hands down for me
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:34 pm I’d like to see the captain available all year round so Hanro for me.

JVP - captained a few times in the Prem cup and with England U20s, also likely available all year round.

Guy Porter - bit left field but captained Sydney Uni, likely to be here all year round and again always gives 100%.

Difficulty for JVP and Porter is they’re not necessarily nailed on in the 23 with quality around them. But future captain Material there in my eyes. If Porter stays with Tigers (which I really hope he does for a long time!), I can see him being given a leadership role.
For me not Porter the captain has to be a certain starter for me and Porter isn't quite at that level yet
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ads wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:41 amHanro all day for.
Ditto
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:56 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:05 am Not convinced about Wells being in that leadership group, or even being in the starting match day 15. Doesn’t seem to have that natural standing for me, as committed a player as he is. Seems very quiet and Chessum and arguably Snyman are now ahead of him
Wells has started 22/28 games across all competitions this season. Always leads by example and is arguably one of our most improved players,and he has that dog. Snyman 13/20 and Chessum 13/21.
And how does all that give him leadership material, Chessum has been injured and away with England, I would argue that Snyman has improved, certainly in the 2nd half of the season even more.
It’s an opinion Scott everyone is entitled to them without you jumping on your Stats soap box
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:44 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:34 pm I’d like to see the captain available all year round so Hanro for me.

For me not Porter the captain has to be a certain starter for me and Porter isn't quite at that level yet
Agreed on Porter not being captain - why I said in with a shot for VC given he isn’t a nailed on starter. I can see in a couple of seasons him being there though with 12/13 of Kelly and Porter and him having a strong leadership role.

Hopefully in a couple of seasons time!