RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Leinster (H) - Saturday 07th May 2022 - 5-30pm KO

Post by RagingBull »

Battles for me
Front row
Genge, Montoya, Cole v Porter, Kelleher, Furlong
How juicy is this match up! Genge V Furlong - Furlong will be fuming after the England game and will want to prove one game doesn't change the fact he's a top 3 TH in the world. Montoya IMO a top 3 Hooker in the world v IMO before injury the form european hooker, Cole v Porter is the most interesting match up Cole has had his best season in ages, Porter one of the most promising Props but he's still only played around 15 games at loosehead although showing he's international standard already is impressive.

Second Row
Chessum, Green v Ryan, Molony
Ryan is the big gamble for Leinster not played since England game, amazing talent but IMO he can be targeted here depending how up to speed he is. Molony is a rock though and will be keen to showcase his maul defending abilites. Green over Wells a interesting one shows to me how much we feel our maul game will be important to get a foothold our maul is still good but with Montoya at the back and Green controlling it's been lethal. Chessum IMO the form young lock in the league.

Back Row
Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese v Doris, JVDF, Conan
Oh boy what another match up, Liebenberg and Doris both very similar, JVDF the big point of difference his dymanic carrying is something no one else brings in both teams Reffell will need to be at his best to contain him. Wiese and Conan two sides of the same coin in terms of style.

Half Backs
Youngs, Ford v JGP, Sexton
Honestly two half back pairings that know each other very well and excuete their teams game plans to perfection.

Centres
Porter, Moroni v Henshaw, Ringrose
Henshaw v Porter is the two biggest size of gaps between the two teams, Henshaw is a master at 12 especially with Ringrose. Porter very good carrier but still questions over his game vision. Feel we will see Moroni slip in more at 12 in attack. Moroni will be key in keeping Ringrose contained.

Back 3
Ashton, Potter, Steward v JOB, Lowe, Keenan
We picked a back 3 to chase, and they need to get their chase right as the leinster back 3 are among the best counter attackers in Europe. The narrower pitch at Welford road has always helped us try and contain back 3 in open play.

Bench
Dolly, Whitcombe, Heyes v Sheehan, Healy, Ala’alatoa
Talk about two bench front rows at the different end of their careers, Sheehan and Dolly similar sort of age but th two leinster props have a combined 20 years more experience than the Leicester pairing.
Wells, Martin v McCarthy, Ruddock
McCarthy and Wells both very similar players, Martin is big as we actually have a back rower cover, Ruddock though you could argue is Leinster form back rower at club level and very unlucky not to start over Conan
Wigglesworth, Burns, Nadolo v McGrath, Bryne, TOB
Tigers gone with a lot of experience on the bench, McGrath is a veteran for Leinster starting at 9 in their 2018 final. I think Bryne and TOB could be targeted if/when they come on.

Tough one this game could go in so many directions.
As I said the narrower pitch at welford road has always been a good handicap v teams that thrive in open and counterattacking games trouble is Leinster are amazing at every aspect of the game. If we are within a score in the final 10 I would back us to win I don't think they would have played against as team as fit as we are but can we contain the Leinster juggernaut till then? I
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Question will be what happens if Porter goes off?
Potter to 12 on defence and Nadolo to shift at 13 in attack?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

LeinsterBlue wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:55 pm Only 13 of Ireland's regular starters in that Leinster 15, calling them a very good club side is simply wrong, they are a very good international team playing in club jerseys.
Not wrong at all.........a very good club side playing in a club competition with international quality players.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:04 pm Battles for me
Front row
Genge, Montoya, Cole v Porter, Kelleher, Furlong
How juicy is this match up! Genge V Furlong - Furlong will be fuming after the England game and will want to prove one game doesn't change the fact he's a top 3 TH in the world. Montoya IMO a top 3 Hooker in the world v IMO before injury the form european hooker, Cole v Porter is the most interesting match up Cole has had his best season in ages, Porter one of the most promising Props but he's still only played around 15 games at loosehead although showing he's international standard already is impressive.

Second Row
Chessum, Green v Ryan, Molony
Ryan is the big gamble for Leinster not played since England game, amazing talent but IMO he can be targeted here depending how up to speed he is. Molony is a rock though and will be keen to showcase his maul defending abilites. Green over Wells a interesting one shows to me how much we feel our maul game will be important to get a foothold our maul is still good but with Montoya at the back and Green controlling it's been lethal. Chessum IMO the form young lock in the league.

Back Row
Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese v Doris, JVDF, Conan
Oh boy what another match up, Liebenberg and Doris both very similar, JVDF the big point of difference his dymanic carrying is something no one else brings in both teams Reffell will need to be at his best to contain him. Wiese and Conan two sides of the same coin in terms of style.

Half Backs
Youngs, Ford v JGP, Sexton
Honestly two half back pairings that know each other very well and excuete their teams game plans to perfection.

Centres
Porter, Moroni v Henshaw, Ringrose
Henshaw v Porter is the two biggest size of gaps between the two teams, Henshaw is a master at 12 especially with Ringrose. Porter very good carrier but still questions over his game vision. Feel we will see Moroni slip in more at 12 in attack. Moroni will be key in keeping Ringrose contained.

Back 3
Ashton, Potter, Steward v JOB, Lowe, Keenan
We picked a back 3 to chase, and they need to get their chase right as the leinster back 3 are among the best counter attackers in Europe. The narrower pitch at Welford road has always helped us try and contain back 3 in open play.

Bench
Dolly, Whitcombe, Heyes v Sheehan, Healy, Ala’alatoa
Talk about two bench front rows at the different end of their careers, Sheehan and Dolly similar sort of age but th two leinster props have a combined 20 years more experience than the Leicester pairing.
Wells, Martin v McCarthy, Ruddock
McCarthy and Wells both very similar players, Martin is big as we actually have a back rower cover, Ruddock though you could argue is Leinster form back rower at club level and very unlucky not to start over Conan
Wigglesworth, Burns, Nadolo v McGrath, Bryne, TOB
Tigers gone with a lot of experience on the bench, McGrath is a veteran for Leinster starting at 9 in their 2018 final. I think Bryne and TOB could be targeted if/when they come on.

Tough one this game could go in so many directions.
As I said the narrower pitch at welford road has always been a good handicap v teams that thrive in open and counterattacking games trouble is Leinster are amazing at every aspect of the game. If we are within a score in the final 10 I would back us to win I don't think they would have played against as team as fit as we are but can we contain the Leinster juggernaut till then? I
RB! Shhhh… stop giving away all our tactics :smt005

Well summed up and should be some fantastic matchups and 2 very good sides going head to head
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:32 pm Really don't get having WW on the bench, not exactly a player if you need to chase the game, otherwise pretty much as expected, but having Nemani on the bench is a risk.
That Leinster side is stacked, if Reffell shows up well against that back row he will force Pivac's hand surely....
Agree regarding Nemani. Thought he'd probably start, but obviously the coaches are content with the options at centre if we lose Porter or Moroni at any point.
LeinsterBlue

Post by LeinsterBlue »

Many clubs have players of international quality, how many can field a side with 13 players who are all currently first choice for the same country. Make no mistake if Leicester win they will have beaten Ireland, that's the size of the challenge that faces them tomorrow. And yes of course they will be well up for it, as will Leinster, bring it on...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:28 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:32 pm Really don't get having WW on the bench, not exactly a player if you need to chase the game, otherwise pretty much as expected, but having Nemani on the bench is a risk.
That Leinster side is stacked, if Reffell shows up well against that back row he will force Pivac's hand surely....
Agree regarding Nemani. Thought he'd probably start, but obviously the coaches are content with the options at centre if we lose Porter or Moroni at any point.
Surprised not to see Scott in there, given Porter is definitely able to cover the wing, but IBWT
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

jgriffin wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:58 pm
ads wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:56 pm I'm confident this Tigers team can beat Leinster, especially as we are at home, but they are definitley favourites still. I mean its Ireland!

COYT!
My sister's message to me ":censored: that's the Ireland team!" :smt030
The good thing about that is Ireland don't have the best record when it comes to quarter finals 😉
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Excitement building for the Tigers v Ireland playing under a different name :smt026

Just to let my prediction be clear

Heart says Tigers will win
Head says Tigers will win

My only genuine worry is the referee deciding the game. The breakdown and scrum always seems a bit Wild West under Raynal. And he seems to be a real shoot from the hip guy with cards. It’s going to be fascinating how the Captains try to deal with him. The first few scrums are sooooo important.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:40 pm
Surprised not to see Scott in there, given Porter is definitely able to cover the wing, but IBWT
Is Scott available? I thought he was injured or suspended? Or have I dreamt that?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Is Scott available? I thought he was injured or suspended? Or have I dreamt that?
Not suspended, has been seen in a lot of the training videos this week so assuming he's fit.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:06 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Not suspended, has been seen in a lot of the training videos this week so assuming he's fit.
That is a bit of a surprise then, I would think he'd be a dead cert at 12 with no Kelly. Maybe SB has a cunning plan...

Porter is perhaps the more powerful ball carrier, beats more defenders than Scott (helps being at 13 or on the wing though) and, perhaps crucially, gives away far fewer penalties - 0 vs 9 in the Premiership this season from almost identical number of minutes.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My feeling on the Scott v Porter call is that Porter has a massive engine and my gut says Tigers are going to try and stick to what we did v Bordeaux kick and absorb and Porter work rate suits that more than Scott's especially after his time out.

My biggest worry is that Leinster do to us what Bristol did to us for their first try, and catch Porter in no man's land in a position he's not familiar with.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:23 pm My feeling on the Scott v Porter call is that Porter has a massive engine and my gut says Tigers are going to try and stick to what we did v Bordeaux kick and absorb and Porter work rate suits that more than Scott's especially after his time out.

My biggest worry is that Leinster do to us what Bristol did to us for their first try, and catch Porter in no man's land in a position he's not familiar with.
Porter is a quick learner and is becoming more and more vital to our team, I expect lessons have been learned and Super Kev will have a plan set for Leinster.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don’t think I’ve ever been as excited/nervous about a game!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer