Bristol in the mire

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Bristol in the mire

Post by fentiger »

Report in the Telegraph (behind pay wall) that Bristol have got themselves in trouble with the salary cap (maybe no surprise to some?).
Apparently due to the rule that allowed the signing of extended contracts two years ago to circumvent cap overspend. They then failed to release certain players early enough and the salaries weren't offset!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bristol in the mire

Post by Tigers86asw »

Oh dear Pat…these words have not aged well.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/50576659.amp
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tigers86asw wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:57 pm Oh dear Pat…these words have not aged well.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/50576659.amp
:smt044 :smt044
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

You can view the article minus the paywall here

https://archive.ph/xUoJg
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So Genge is staying then? 😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:08 pm So Genge is staying then? 😜
Probably not; but if it really is just family rather than the rugby perhaps we could offer a helicopter to Briss airport whenever he needs it.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Relatively speaking 400k is not that much....

However
1) It's over the overrun at which point points deductions come in
2) the lateness of this means many clubs have mostly balanced books so no big holes.
3) Why would a player with a contract be willing to reduce it now, so they're likely to have to let go people who's contracts are expiring whether they want to or not.

We'll see if that leads to an unbalanced squad as they may have no real say what position the players they're losing play.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Ellis, do the right thing for your home town club and offer to stay at Tigers. Be a true Bristol hero :smt044
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bristol Bears are being forced to enter a fire sale owing to a salary-cap blunder.

Second row Dave Attwood on Thursday signed for his former club Bath as Bristol struggle to balance the books. Several other top players, including centre Antoine Frisch and wing Luke Morahan, are being linked with departures to ensure the club stay under the Premiership salary cap for next season after a major administrative error.

When the Premiership clubs voted two years ago to reduce the salary cap from £6.4 million to £5 million for the 2021-22 season, a lot of clubs, including Bristol, took advantage of a clause that allowed them to count 75 per cent of existing contracts against the revised cap.

In Bristol’s case, the majority of players signed “two plus one” deals, which is a two-year contract with an option of a third on the same terms unless either party decides to pull out by a set deadline. It is understood Bristol intended to release six players, whose contracts were worth an estimated £400,000. However, they missed the deadline, meaning the third-year extensions had already kicked in. A club spokesman declined to comment on Thursday night.

Even if those players are paid off, it is understood that would still count against the salary cap, so Bristol are now having to make savings wherever they can. Including their marquee players, Bristol had one of the biggest wage bills in the Premiership and an emergency board meeting was convened when the mistake came to light in March. They have also committed to signing England prop Ellis Genge and Sale fly-half AJ MacGinty for next season.

Yet offloading players is no simple matter. Many other clubs are struggling to balance the books with the “existing contract” clause coming to an end. It is estimated that up to 30 players could be left without a club this summer.

After winning the Challenge Cup two years ago and finishing top of the Premiership last season, Bristol are experiencing a difficult campaign and are 10th in the league.

Losing Attwood, who was born in Bristol and is one of the club’s most consistent performers, will be seen as another blow.

“Dave has been an excellent servant during his time with the club,” Pat Lam, the director of rugby, said. “He’s been a key part of our leadership group and a positive ambassador for our team culture.

“We are grateful to Dave for everything he has contributed and he can be proud of what he has achieved in a Bristol shirt. Dave leaves with our best wishes at the end of the season and we know he will be fully invested in helping us finish the campaign strongly.”
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

How is it possible that a professional club could make such a basic contractual error? This isn’t a violation (yet, and aware that Tigers are in a bit of a glass house on that front!), it’s just rank incompetence. That Genge video looks worse and worse with every second.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Hehehehehehehehe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Imagine being one of the 6 and knowing that for something you didn't cause you're likely to face resentment...
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I’m beginning to wonder if Lam had too many concussions when he was playing. First, he couldn’t remember why he’d subbed his prop, then he couldn’t remember the laws of his profession, now he has problems remembering important dates.

If it helps, I find a reminder in my phone is useful.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Was obvious Bristol had done this so was expecting them to have to shed a few players for next season.

Other clubs could be Exeter (already seen a number of leavers), and maybe Saracens

Surprised they’ve cocked it up - don’t Bristol fans always boast their owner is an accountant or am I making that up (?)

Overall another salary cap fiasco isn’t a good look for rugby and wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t the last.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

isn’t a good look for rugby
Honestly I don't think these salary cap breaches have any effect on how rugby is viewed. I mean its not like all other sports are squeaky clean is it. Finacial fair play rules in football, 'doping' in athletics and cycling, F1 making up the rules as they go along, Tennis stars refusing to play by the covid rules. I'm pretty sure every sports person and team out there is bending the rules as far as they can to gain an advantage. Get too close to the line and someone is going to break it every now and then. Either on purpose on accindentally.

Rugby is not and has never has been the lovely clean, virtuous, family sport that people like to think it is. Even in the amature era, remember the 99 call or aparthiede....

Edit: Please don't think I'm condoning any breach of the salary cap. I just don't think it has bearing in the wider sports world.
Last edited by ads on Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.