Newcastle (A) Friday night -18th March 2022 - PRC

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Newcastle (A) Friday night -18th March 2022 - PRC

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:11 am I have this recorded is it worth watching back?
Yes definitely worth watching.

1. Some good individual performances, especially from some young lads

2. Some magic here and there

I will say a few bits are frustrating to watch like our defence going missing for 15 min in tge first half, but more positives than negatives
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

Are we to understand from the season ticket renewal info that next season the Premiership Cup will be no more? Seems to me that the competition has run its course with teams such as Tigers purely using it as a development competition but others, such as Newcastle last night, stacking their sides more heavily as it is their only chance of silverware.
bendy

Post by bendy »

shanghaitiger wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:46 am Are we to understand from the season ticket renewal info that next season the Premiership Cup will be no more?
That's an interesting spot; I hadn't noticed that.

Although that said, the renewal info also seems to be guaranteeing that someone will be promoted from the Championship, so I wouldn't take it as entirely gospel...!
bendy

Post by bendy »

bendy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:03 pm KvW looks hungry and - importantly - busy in the right areas.

I've been critical of the guy in the past. I hope I have to eat my words by final whistle!

Update: no words were eaten.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:30 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:06 pm Edwards was excellent and performed better than Law. Jansen, Agbonbon, Hurd and Vanes all fronted up well.
Agree, I think Edwards is pulling in front of Law IMO. I think Edwards experience in the championship is showing whereas Law has played for Loughborough this season to have midweek games so he's available to us at a weekend if needed.
Two very different style of 9s. Edwards looks like a younger version of Wigglesworth now with his game built around good distribution and box kicking. Law is a running threat that likes to play high tempo. With our ball in hand attack stuttering Law struggled to get his game going which was a bit unfortunate. Edwards suited where we needed to be.

Championship experience might well make a difference there as the higher up the pyramid you go the better defensive coaching is and the more you learn to adapt.

Edwards certainly looked far more experienced and composed than a 19 year old should.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:36 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:35 pm You have to feel for KVW - someone give him a hug
Yep.. he never seems to get any luck
Yes a return flight ticket would be best. :smt039
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:04 pm Ideal situation is to win the PRC and give youngsters loads of experience. Of the 2 I'd say the latter is far more important.

I have no issue with anyone who is disappointed with defeat though.
I have just had a look at the appearances for the Newcastle squad and there are over 650 club appearances by last nights team.
It just shows how well the young Tigers team played ~ formed out of players from other clubs and just one training day can produce a good display even with the loss of Robinson, Taute and Brett. I hope Lancaster is ok as I would have preferred him still on the pitch on the wing rather than Kobus Van Wyk but cramp may have been the problem.
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/club/n ... ons/#squad :smt023
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Only watched part of the game. Losing Taute early doors was key , big performances from some of the young pack, Vanes and Jansen worth a mention but Agbongbon continues to impress whenever I see him only 20 so just going to get better, a real one to watch
Not sure why KVW is still here to be honest.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I understand peoples disappointment at losing, be lovely to win every match, but bigger picture is that for any club from Wasps below this is there only chance of silver wear so with no relegation will look more to wards this, and at present this is a development comp for Tigers as there are bigger fish to fry

Is qualification for the semi 3 league winners plus best 2nd place
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:45 am I understand peoples disappointment at losing, be lovely to win every match, but bigger picture is that for any club from Wasps below this is there only chance of silver wear so with no relegation will look more to wards this, and at present this is a development comp for Tigers as there are bigger fish to fry

Is qualification for the semi 3 league winners plus best 2nd place
Yep that's it. If we'd retained the LBP at the end there then we'd have been top
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's all about performance in this competition.
Not seen the game yet, did it look like Taute had properly done himself again & was it pitch enhanced?
Sounds like the youngsters made an impression, does Jansen look worthy of a contract in the context of overall squad depth going forward?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Impressed by last night's efforts. Better than a lot of our 1st 15's efforts in the previous 4/5 'naughty years'.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I can’t say Taute ‘s injury was due to the pitch and I feel so sorry for him and the team as he went off at about 16 minutes we lost our defensive organiser so leaked 3 tries, one maybe two due to realignment after his injury. Newcastle only had a few first teamers in but their bench had more experience . We lost players to injuries at crucial times and at the end had a hooker playing 8 and Van Wyk cramped up as he took a pass resulting in him giving a penalty away which resulted in the comeback in the last 5 minutes. Just a night when the luck wasn’t with the young team.
I’m off to Newcastle in May so hope we can turn the tables in the Premiership!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:34 am It's all about performance in this competition.
Not seen the game yet, did it look like Taute had properly done himself again & was it pitch enhanced?
Sounds like the youngsters made an impression, does Jansen look worthy of a contract in the context of overall squad depth going forward?
It was his ankle I think and no I don’t think it was the pitch. The rueful smile at the end said it all really. Ref Jansen physical presence put in some big shots. Not sure what his preferred position is. Agbongbon looked good again appeared to be everywhere and just has that something about him
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

We learned a lot more than an overly experience Newcastle side. They are not using this competition for development but as a way of securing silverware. I would have not been celebrating the win as Newcastle did at the final whistle.
The future is bright. Well done for competing. Well done for holding them for 72+mins. Well done for BP.
Van Wyk - I don't think his future is at Tigers.