LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by RagingBull »

Prob my favourite clip of his I have seen
https://twitter.com/ScottOtten/status/1 ... 2010097667
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by fentiger »

Found this of Cracknell from a couple of years ago when he was at Ospreys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJK0TFAL8I
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Makes lots of sense to sign a 6/8 if Martin, Chessum, MVS and Weise are all going to be in and around international squads.

Let's face it Liebenburg could still be a left field selection as well.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:13 am Makes lots of sense to sign a 6/8 if Martin, Chessum, MVS and Weise are all going to be in and around international squads.

Let's face it Liebenburg could still be a left field selection as well.
I would be very surprised if Jones, or who ever is in charge of England, did not look at Liebenberg when he qualifies for England
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:37 am Got to say after yesterday I'm more confident in Whitcombe being capable in a no. 1 shirt without Genge.

It was also noticeable how Sarries only started getting on top of our scrum after Leatigaga came on.

We definitely need some depth at Tighthead more than Loosehead IMO...
Yes and no - Cole and Heyes are arguably the best “pair” of tight heads available to any Prem Club. Both internationals but not regularly picked by Jones, both academy grads so highly unlikely to be flight risks. And - most importantly, Tight Heads are ruinously expensive! Leatigaga, for a third choice, is decent I think. But he’s not ideal as the bench option - so a lot probably depends on Cole’s durability and Heyes’ international prospects.

Whitcombe’s development is hugely encouraging though, and would probably allow a lot more cap flexibility post Genge, for whom there probably isn’t a like for like available on the market!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

WildGoose wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:05 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:37 am Got to say after yesterday I'm more confident in Whitcombe being capable in a no. 1 shirt without Genge.

It was also noticeable how Sarries only started getting on top of our scrum after Leatigaga came on.

Yes and no - Cole and Heyes are arguably the best “pair” of tight heads available to any Prem Club. Both internationals but not regularly picked by Jones, both academy grads so highly unlikely to be flight risks. And - most importantly, Tight Heads are ruinously expensive! Leatigaga, for a third choice, is decent I think. But he’s not ideal as the bench option - so a lot probably depends on Cole’s durability and Heyes’ international prospects.

Whitcombe’s development is hugely encouraging though, and would probably allow a lot more cap flexibility post Genge, for whom there probably isn’t a like for like available on the market!
Coley 35 in May so probably has another 2 seasons in him looking at Afoa as a comparison, Heyes is 22 I think so I would say that there is no desperate rush. Hurd has looked good when I’ve seen him and Rowntree jnr coming through the ranks I believe is also a tight head.
Agree totally that Whitcombe meteoric rise has softened the blow of Genge departure. Below him Van Wyk is a more than able replacement with Richardson behind him, who I’m afraid I don’t know much about.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:27 pm

Coley 35 in May so probably has another 2 seasons in him looking at Afoa as a comparison, Heyes is 22 I think so I would say that there is no desperate rush. Hurd has looked good when I’ve seen him and Rowntree jnr coming through the ranks I believe is also a tight head.
Agree totally that Whitcombe meteoric rise has softened the blow of Genge departure. Below him Van Wyk is a more than able replacement with Richardson behind him, who I’m afraid I don’t know much about.
https://mobile.twitter.com/nemani_nadol ... 84?lang=en

There's this lad coming through as well. He's played at various clubs for experience so far this season. That Tweet is two year old as well so he'll have kept growing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Thanks Sam looks like he’s at Nottingham. 19 years of age 123 kg, just over 19 stone in old money
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:27 pm

Also Coley has a natural successor in Heyes, and is probably one of the best paid players in the league I imagine, excluding marquees? Expecting Heyes to be as good is probably a stretch but Coley had to play with some pretty average loose 5s over the years so there’ll be a good balance to the pack I think. Hopefully SB will help Cole finish with some trophies which he richly deserves.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Whitcombe is clearly a very promising prop but as a player the only thing he has in common with Genge is the number on his shirt. Genge offers a lot more around the pitch. Hopefully it's something Whitcombe can develop but no signs of it yet.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:43 pm Whitcombe is clearly a very promising prop but as a player the only thing he has in common with Genge is the number on his shirt. Genge offers a lot more around the pitch. Hopefully it's something Whitcombe can develop but no signs of it yet.
Welcome to the party Mr. Positive
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Also Genge is basically a freak - I reckon the most talented NH prop since Jenkins, I don’t think anyone should fixate on a direct replacement because it won’t happen. Whitcombe’s “fundamentals” appear solid which means he can work on other aspects of his game. Cole wasn’t exactly a turnover king in 2009-10…
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:48 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:43 pm Whitcombe is clearly a very promising prop but as a player the only thing he has in common with Genge is the number on his shirt. Genge offers a lot more around the pitch. Hopefully it's something Whitcombe can develop but no signs of it yet.
Welcome to the party Mr. Positive
Just stating the truth Mr Negative :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Whitcombe's primary roles are to scrummage, tackle himself silly and lift at the lineout. If he can do those basics well 99.9% of the time then anything over and above that is a bonus for me at this stage in his career.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:54 pm Whitcombe's primary roles are to scrummage, tackle himself silly and lift at the lineout. If he can do those basics well 99.9% of the time then anything over and above that is a bonus for me at this stage in his career.
This maybe Sapajo didn’t realise that his loose game can’t be compared with one of the most destructive runners at prop in the northern hemisphere