The next England Coach.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: The next England Coach.

Post by trendylfj »

Having read most of the posts in this thread, it is clear that EJ made too many wrong decisions for anyone to be happy with his performance. Let's start with the starting XV - front row - OK - 2nd row - OK - back row - OK - H/B - OK - centers - poor (don't think many would agree that Daly is a good choice - should have been Atkinson) - wings - poor (Nowell plus either Malins or Hassell-Collins would have been my choice) - FB - perfect. I was disappointed that no place could be found for Barbeary but understand why. Now to the substitutions - absolute madness both in timing and who he took off - Ford for Smith - crazy - Dombrant for Ludlam - equally crazy - if you wanted Dombrant on then Simmonds had to come off. Not sure of the law regarding the yellow card and the opportunity to replace without it being a tactical replacement
Hehehehehehehehe
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

EJ is, like Gatland, past his prime. Alas, no obvious replacement.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

A identifies good/great coach identifies quickly who steps up from being a consistently good club player to a seasoned international.
Not just in Rugby.
My problem is EJ has his own ideology of what an international team consists of. Without naming names some of his selections have proved he is unable to make this assessment. Lets not stick with "but injuries dictate selection"
We have the Biggest pool of players to choose from in the British Isles if not Europe.
He has to go sooner rather than later - A nearly man.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:42 am EJ is, like Gatland, past his prime. Alas, no obvious replacement.
Except an obvious one who used to be EJs number 2 and in a short time has turned around a team living on past glories and at the bottom of the prem into title contenders, and beaten European finalists (who don’t look out of place playing the big boys. If he can do that with 20 year youngsters and a restrictive cap, imagine what he can do with Englands finest. Now that would be exciting.

I won’t mention his name as I’d quite like him to stay in his current job for at least a while
yet :smt023
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Not read all this but after next World Cup .. what about Andy Farrell?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Bit like Edwards in France why would Farrell leave Ireland given the player pool at his disposal and his ability to control how many games they play
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:07 pm Bit like Edwards in France why would Farrell leave Ireland given the player pool at his disposal and his ability to control how many games they play
because the chance to be head coach of your national team and work alongside your son is too much to turn down. For me, being english and having the change to be head coach of England is more appealing than coaching another national team.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Oh I can see why Farrell would potentially leave Ireland for England.

But I don’t think he would till Owen leaves England

My hope is potentially post RWC someone like Joseph.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:20 pm Oh I can see why Farrell would potentially leave Ireland for England.

But I don’t think he would till Owen leaves England

My hope is potentially post RWC someone like Joseph.
Good shout on Joseph RB! 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Rob18C wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:09 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:07 pm Bit like Edwards in France why would Farrell leave Ireland given the player pool at his disposal and his ability to control how many games they play
because the chance to be head coach of your national team and work alongside your son is too much to turn down. For me, being english and having the change to be head coach of England is more appealing than coaching another national team.
Imo that is becoming less important now, and if we’re saying EJ shouldn’t be picking jnr on form imagine the uproar if his dad started doing it
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Rob18C wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:09 pm
I fully expect Farrell to be England Head coach one day, but unless Ireland win the WC he's definitely got another 4 years left with them (cycle wise not job security wise). Even if England did come calling I'd expect him to want to finish the job he's started.
CharlieTheTiger

Post by CharlieTheTiger »

I would be shocked if the RFU don't try to appoint Borthwick as the next England Coach.

I think we need to target a coach with a similar winning mentally and a coach who probably wants to become a national head coach one day.

This points me in the direction of Paul O'Connell who seems to be getting the best out of the Irish forwards currently.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

CharlieTheTiger wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:06 pm I would be shocked if the RFU don't try to appoint Borthwick as the next England Coach.

I think we need to target a coach with a similar winning mentally and a coach who probably wants to become a national head coach one day.

This points me in the direction of Paul O'Connell who seems to be getting the best out of the Irish forwards currently.
I can see an attempt to poach our entire coaching set up. The only thing that makes me think that Borthwick would decline it is because I am not sure how he would work under that level of media scrutiny and the need to appease the press.

Anyone else noticed how vocal Baxter has been on a number of issues recently as well. Never seen him so outspoken on rugby issues as he has been over the last few weeks, especially regarding Worcester. With players heading off from Exeter and the state of the club game, could be be looking at the England job.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:46 pm
CharlieTheTiger wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:06 pm I would be shocked if the RFU don't try to appoint Borthwick as the next England Coach.

I can see an attempt to poach our entire coaching set up. The only thing that makes me think that Borthwick would decline it is because I am not sure how he would work under that level of media scrutiny and the need to appease the press.

Anyone else noticed how vocal Baxter has been on a number of issues recently as well. Never seen him so outspoken on rugby issues as he has been over the last few weeks, especially regarding Worcester. With players heading off from Exeter and the state of the club game, could be be looking at the England job.
Baxter has moved to more of a DOR role at Exeter now, with Hepher taking over the coaching, so may explain his more vocal style.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Dan McFarland from Ulster would be my choice, although he was recently extended until 2025 at Ulster which most likely rules him out.