Super User
Super User

Re: GP / Six Nations plus others - w/e 04-06th February 2022

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sack Jones and promote Cockers
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

I would give Marcus a bit more credit than some for that try. One of his many assets is a quick mind and just as the ball became visible at the back of the mail he spotted more space on the blind and went for it straight away Ben caught him with a glance to his left and gave him the inch perfect pass. Job done. Deceptively easy but imo all about quick thinking and timing. On a very different point I wonder if in (say) ten years time when Ben White is about to hang up his boots he will look back and think that first half cameo and try was the high point of his career.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:47 pm sack Jones and promote Cockers
Is that a serious suggestion 🤔
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:58 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:47 pm sack Jones and promote Cockers
Is that a serious suggestion 🤔
the first part is, should have been done after the last 6N
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Why didn't LCD just let winger catch the ball and smash him into touch?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Cowan-dickie was in a position to try and play the ball legitimately and this a penalty try should not have been an option. Had he failed to catch it, or lost it backwards, could it be certain a try would not have occurred? No. Thus no penalty try. The penalty had to be awarded.

Jones should have been pushed after the last 6N.

To many excuses in the press about players. Any half decent coach with the options available to Jones would have picked a side and tactics to win that game. Stubborn, arrogant and over stayed his welcome. The best players of 2019 are no longer the best players in 2022. Daly..... I rest my case.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

So Finn Russell’s last four games against England are three wins and a draw
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Have to admit I called what was going to happen before the game! It was obvious that back line was never going to get us over the gain line. Daly shouldn’t have played and I thought Marchant and Malins both playing was the wrong call we lacked any real pace on the outside. Even if a centre isn’t used to get you over the gain line it’s needed to fix the defence and today it was just so easy to read what we were gonna do in the backs. Can’t argue with the forwards today I thought they all played well! As for the great messiah at 10 I’m still really unconvinced with him at international level I thought his game management was poor today and the game was crying out for Ford much earlier on I understand he wasn’t really helped with that back line but I thought he had a poor game. As for Eddie I’ve always been sceptical of him but I really do think he’s lost the plot this time around some of his selections are beyond bizarre and his game plans are just as bizarre we seemed to kick too much ball away today but knowing the RFU they will stick with him for far too long as usual
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Exactly LE18. Stand back let him catch it and then tackle winger into touch. Can only assume he thought he could get there and misjudged it.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Goshengareth wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:51 am Exactly LE18. Stand back let him catch it and then tackle winger into touch. Can only assume he thought he could get there and misjudged it.
Or at least force the touch down to be as wide out as possible to make the conversion as tough as possible.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:48 pm Cowan-dickie was in a position to try and play the ball legitimately and this a penalty try should not have been an option. Had he failed to catch it, or lost it backwards, could it be certain a try would not have occurred? No. Thus no penalty try. The penalty had to be awarded.
He was in a position to play it legally. However he made no attempt to do so. Given he makes no attempt to legally play the ball it should be disregarded the fact he was in a position to do so and therefore the ref needs to consider it asif he's not there.

If LCD isn't there it's an easy take and try.

All Cowan-Dickie needed to do was attempt to catch the thing and whatever happened it probably wouldn't have been a try, even with a knock on, however he had a brainfart and tried something illegal and it cost England dearly!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Smudge wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:16 pm Eddie Jone's record recently is not acceptable. OK he wasn't on the pitch but it was his selection, his tactics and the buck stops with him. As for the lineouts and scrums? Who is the forwards coach? Why Cockers, of course.
Time to bring in Baxter from Exeter and let him pick his own assistants. I watched the game in my local club house and we were all a bit miffed! Not that we lost but how we lost and who to. Time to go Eddie.
Cockers isn't the forwards coach, Proudfoot is.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:48 pm Cowan-dickie was in a position to try and play the ball legitimately and this a penalty try should not have been an option. Had he failed to catch it, or lost it backwards, could it be certain a try would not have occurred? No. Thus no penalty try. The penalty had to be awarded.

Jones should have been pushed after the last 6N.

To many excuses in the press about players. Any half decent coach with the options available to Jones would have picked a side and tactics to win that game. Stubborn, arrogant and over stayed his welcome. The best players of 2019 are no longer the best players in 2022. Daly..... I rest my case.
IMO you have that completely wrong. Would a try have been scored had LCD Not been there yes in all probability, the ball wasn’t sailing into touch the winger would have caught it. LCD basically volleyball pushes the ball into touch therefore a penalty, and a penalty offence which caused a try not to be scored, a penalty try. Was as obvious as you see not even Brian Moore tried to give an English argument and you could hear Nigel Owens nodding in agreement
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Thoughts on Simmonds ? Probably needs a bit more of a run but my view is still that he’s a very good club player and not an international starter. Dombrandt offers more in terms of skill set and link play.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I think this game showed the limited class that England have at centre. Not convinced Slade has the playmaking or leadership skills to play 12, no matter who is at 13. And not convinced there is anyone else at 12 putting there hands up at club level.