Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by chris111 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:08 pm
chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:46 pm

What form would you like this to take
A form that recognises the damage to reputation! I don’t want gory details, I don’t want blame, I don’t want explanations/excuses. I want something along the lines of:
“As an organisation we behaved badly, we’ve been rightly punished, and we are truly sorry that the club’s actions during that period were completely contrary to ‘rugby values’. We apologise to the whole rugby community, and we promise that Leicester Tigers will be a force for good in the future - we must be better and we will be better”.

I’ve written a few such apologies myself on behalf of my employer - for actions that I had no personal involvement with and sometimes took place before I was in office. It’s just the right thing to do.
I take your point, and different people look for different thinks. To me those things should be taken as read, and any such communique is window dressing. Again that is probably just me
If one of my children got caught doing something wrong and told me I should “take their apology as read”, it would not be well-received! I feel the same about the rugby club I support….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:19 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:08 pm
chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:05 pm

A form that recognises the damage to reputation! I don’t want gory details, I don’t want blame, I don’t want explanations/excuses. I want something along the lines of:
“As an organisation we behaved badly, we’ve been rightly punished, and we are truly sorry that the club’s actions during that period were completely contrary to ‘rugby values’. We apologise to the whole rugby community, and we promise that Leicester Tigers will be a force for good in the future - we must be better and we will be better”.

I’ve written a few such apologies myself on behalf of my employer - for actions that I had no personal involvement with and sometimes took place before I was in office. It’s just the right thing to do.
I take your point, and different people look for different thinks. To me those things should be taken as read, and any such communique is window dressing. Again that is probably just me
If one of my children got caught doing something wrong and told me I should “take their apology as read”, it would not be well-received! I feel the same about the rugby club I support….
Not sure about your analogy but that is your prerogative
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm in the camp of people not quite ready or willing to move on and forget it happened.

I don't care who is to blame, I don't need to know anything more about what has happened.

What I would like is a clear commitment from the club that it will be better in future, and action to go above and beyond in this season and future seasons to prove beyond any doubt that we are playing by the rules and in the spirit of the rules.

Some might not care about the ethics of the club they support, but the world is changing and it is increasingly important to take these things seriously. This has damaged our brand and we may feel some pain next time we are looking for sponsors or any kind of investment. It will also hurt us in attracting new fans, because young people care about ethics these days.

Also, I personally care about ethics and while I accept people make mistakes, I judge people and organisations on how they deal with their mistakes and how they try to be better in future. Simply saying it has happened and that you accept the punishment is not enough to show that you accept it was wrong and does not demonstrate any desire to be better in future.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sponsors won't care a jot if we get some silverware this season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:39 pm Sponsors won't care a jot if we get some silverware this season.
Because no club or sportsperson has ever lost sponsorship due to ethical transgressions, right?
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:39 pm Sponsors won't care a jot if we get some silverware this season.
Wrong - sponsors increasingly look at values in deciding where they put their money.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Most sponsors only care about publicity.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Will our sponsors want to be associated with a club that got caught cheating over a 5 year period.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:44 pm
Wrong - sponsors increasingly look at values in deciding where they put their money.
As Chelsea are finding to their cost, and Saracens did too. Not sure we are quite in that league.

As for a statement of we admit there was wrong doing and it won’t happen again, and we will try to act to the highest possible standards, yes you would hope the club would do all these things, and if that’s what it takes to satisfy some then it should be simple for the club to do so, even if it’s a short LTTV special. For me not necessary
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:58 pm Most sponsors only care about publicity.
The world of marketing has moved on significantly from the bad old days of “all publicity is good publicity”. The corporate world invests a huge amount of time and energy into evaluating brand values - and is very quick to move away from what are seen as a ‘toxic brand’. I’m not suggesting Tigers are toxic…but sponsors will certainly factor in this damaging publicity when deciding whether or not to invest.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:02 pm Will our sponsors want to be associated with a club that got caught cheating over a 5 year period.
There’s that cheating word again. Ignorance is no excuse but is a lot different from cheating
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:04 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:58 pm Most sponsors only care about publicity.
The world of marketing has moved on significantly from the bad old days of “all publicity is good publicity”. The corporate world invests a huge amount of time and energy into evaluating brand values - and is very quick to move away from what are seen as a ‘toxic brand’. I’m not suggesting Tigers are toxic…but sponsors will certainly factor in this damaging publicity when deciding whether or not to invest.
Very true but there is usually some company that is willing to step into the breach if the brand is strong enough, and TIGERS is a strong brand. Maybe instead of MWWR it will become We buy any car welford road
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Whilst this may be damaging to the club, the investigations have not been blocked and full cooperation has been given to those. I personally doubt that it has done the same level of damage as seen with Saracens. This could have started as a genuine oversite which was never re-dressed or a deliberate and knowing challenge to the salary cap rules........we do not know and people are making their own assumptions.
The club have not exceeded the salary cap but have not declared payments which should have been.
An investigation has been concluded and the club have accepted the findings and accepted the fine. I would have been more concerned and disappointed if the club had challenged the findings. Am sure that they will learn from this and put things right going forward.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:36 pm What I would like is a clear commitment from the club that it will be better in future, and action to go above and beyond in this season and future seasons to prove beyond any doubt that we are playing by the rules and in the spirit of the rules.
The club has stated the "We accept the decision and the acknowledgement that there was no over-run in the most recent season of the review" so we are doing better already. And I'm not sure how they go "above and beyond" other than passing each review. Seems to me it's words for the sake of words.
Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:36 pmSimply saying it has happened and that you accept the punishment is not enough to show that you accept it was wrong and does not demonstrate any desire to be better in future.
They didn't just accept the punishment they clearly say they accepted the findings. And to say they have not shown any "desire to be better in future" is just plain wrong IMO.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:06 pm
chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:04 pm
Very true but there is usually some company that is willing to step into the breach if the brand is strong enough, and TIGERS is a strong brand. Maybe instead of MWWR it will become We buy any car welford road
If I were on the MW Board I think I’d be considering the wisdom of associating a financial management company with an organisation found to be guilty of financial mismanagement 🤔