Frank Murphy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Frank Murphy

Post by chappie »

Just watching Quins v Cardiff, must say I’ve seen our Frank Ref quite a few games know and I must say what a fine Official he’s turning out to be.
Very fond memories of Frank at scrum half, happy times. :smt038
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Frank Murphy

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

just posted this in the games thread, more general than just about Frank but I'll post it here too.

they have to do something about the length of the advantage, Quins just went virtually the length of the Cardiff half of the pitch as were still playing with the advantage over, that's just not fair with how many metres they had gained, I feel if you gain 15-20 metres it should be advantage over where as it seems like its advantage until you score in Rugby.
Last edited by Jimmy Skitz on Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:32 pm just posted this in the games thread, more general than just about Frank but I'll post it here too.

they have to do something about the length of the advantage, Quins just went virtually the length of the Cardiff half of the pitch as were still playing with the advantage, that's just not fair with how many metres they had gained, I feel if you gain 15-20 metres it should be advantage

over where as it seems like its advantage until you score in Rugby.
It’s funny how we are all Refs and we see things so differently to the actual man that holds the whistle, it’s all to easy to be a armchair Official! :smt002
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Bit like driving from the back seat! 😂😂😂
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I knew I recognised him! :smt005

Whether he had a good game or not depends on your point of view - some might say he missed or overlooked a lot of infringements, others that he enabled the game to flow. It was certainly a more enjoyable spectacle than those where there is a penalty every 30 seconds...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I thought he handled the game well, checked what needed to be checked and worked well with his assistants. It was an enjoyable game of rugby that flowed nicely which he helped without ever making himself centre of attention. Job well done.

I mean rugby is complicated so there's always going to be some calls people just don't agree with. After all two different people can watch the same ruck and spot two different offences and still both be technically correct and the ref can give neither.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

:smt015
chappie wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:29 pm Just watching Quins v Cardiff, must say I’ve seen our Frank Ref quite a few games know and I must say what a fine Official he’s turning out to be.
Very fond memories of Frank at scrum half, happy times. :smt038
Not watched today’s game yet but I’ve seen him many times, mostly in the pro14 but also in Europe and think he, and Adamson, who has also been afforded lots of opportunities, are truly dreadful.
As a yardstick, in comparison, Dickson is amongst the worlds elite!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Some refs are more capable than others.
He is one of the better ones.

They all make mistakes but the match should not be about them.
TigerSID

Post by TigerSID »

I thought he was good, consistent. Thought the first half yellow card for Cardiff was a little harsh but the defender didn't really use his arms then when he was arguing as he left the field loved the way Sir said if he wanted more then just keep talking! Clear direct and decisive.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerSID wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:17 pm I thought he was good, consistent. Thought the first half yellow card for Cardiff was a little harsh but the defender didn't really use his arms then when he was arguing as he left the field loved the way Sir said if he wanted more then just keep talking! Clear direct and decisive.
that wasn't why he was yellow carded he was done for it being dangerous despite the fact the attacker jumped into the tackle, which was illegal, so Frank made an error and was then arrogant about it
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I still can’t understand why Dayglo didn’t become a ref after he retired from playing, given that he refereed every match he played in.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

CJ wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:03 pm I still can’t understand why Dayglo didn’t become a ref after he retired from playing, given that he refereed every match he played in.
He wanted to be a coach but they hadn't got enough seats to fill his mouth :smt044
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CJ wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:03 pm I still can’t understand why Dayglo didn’t become a ref after he retired from playing, given that he refereed every match he played in.
Considering how little Dayglo seems to know about the laws in commentary I'd suggest he might struggle to get a go at social level.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:48 pm
TigerSID wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:17 pm I thought he was good, consistent. Thought the first half yellow card for Cardiff was a little harsh but the defender didn't really use his arms then when he was arguing as he left the field loved the way Sir said if he wanted more then just keep talking! Clear direct and decisive.
that wasn't why he was yellow carded he was done for it being dangerous despite the fact the attacker jumped into the tackle, which was illegal, so Frank made an error and was then arrogant about it
He was yellow carded because the player went past the horizontal and landed on his head. It was mitigated down to yellow because the ball carrier was off balance with one foot of the ground at the time of the tackle which was a little generous given the whole thing comes about because the Cardiff player doesn't both wrapping his arms.

The player didn't jump into the tackle he twisted his body around very quickly to move the ball on before the hit. That isn't against the rules and wasn't done to gain an advantage in the collision bar the ball no longer being there.

I thought Murphy did well there and not allowing the pathetic back chat either.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

And this whole thread shows how tricky the job of a ref is