LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by ads »

I'd be gutted if he goes as well. He's world class. But, I think we're getting good enough to cover it. Either from within or attracting a new 10. I'm not gonna begrudge him the money now he's not getting England wages. Saying that though 1.6m over 3 years is only just over 500k a year, isn't he on something similar here?

If he WANTS to play for us for the rest of the season, then I'd play him, but if his form does start to drop or he isn;t giving 100%, then yes, I'd drop him. If we're challenging for silverware at the end of the seaon, we need players who want to win with us.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I trust Steve and the team to find a quality replacement if Ford does go, it would be a shame to see him go as he could have cemented himself as the greatest Tigers 10 if he'd been here longer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:29 am
ads wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:23 am😘
Hahaha 👍 I'm just venting that's all! I wouldn't have minded if he were going to France or Japan but its a kick in the nether regions!
I think we all realise that Scott1 - it's a head v heart thing.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:57 pm Ford might stay. If he doesn’t Hegarty could well be an answer and get McPhillips back.
On the other hand, get Genge on board (Bristol sniffing around) and Ford will want to stay to add to what I be,I eve is his only winners medal, with us V Saints.
What will be will be!
Hegarty and Mcphillips are simply not good enough to fill any void left by Ford, for me if he leaves we lhave lost the best fly half in the premiership.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Whatever happens I'd be confident that George Ford is professional enough to give his all in every match he plays for Tigers.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A deal to move to Sale does look inevitable.Hope I am incorrect:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-6217211
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

1. Lets not panic, Borthwick is not Sanderson, he won't be playing out our recruitment in the media, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a plan.

2. Ford is say going for est. 1.6m over 3 years, if true, I wonder how much is stacked up for the last year when be can be marquee?

3. Let's face it whilst he has been key to our success, it's not entirely down to him. We have good 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice fly halves. We need to sign one new player.

4. Ford leaving does open the marquee slot up, this gives us flexibility, the likes of Lozowski or Simmonds we can probably afford in the cap, which would mean we may be able to have a big name signing coming in.

5. The speed of this announcement after the AJ switch, smacks to me of actually some desperation, things were not rosy and Sale needed a win in their fans eyes, lets not be concerned about a period without knowing the plan. IBWT
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think it does seem inevitable that Ford is going. That is the way of rugby now. We can’t change it and have to live with it. However, when one door closes another one opens, so I am not going to have a melt down over this.
I think Ford has been world class this season without a doubt and a real catalyst to our improved play and league position.
I have faith in Bothwick and his staff. I don’t think Ford popped into lunch yesterday after training and dropped this bomb. I am sure he would have told the management he was going for a meeting with Sale.
When he goes at the end of the season I hope it with another league winners medal.
I am sure that the irons are in the fire and we are scouting new fly half’s….I heard that after the weekend Barrett is thinking of leaving NZ for pastures new…..
There is never any points for 2nd place...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:26 am
2. Ford is say going for est. 1.6m over 3 years, if true, I wonder how much is stacked up for the last year when be can be marquee?
I'm pretty sure the salary cap does not allow for this otherwise they'd be all sorts of shenanigans going on with front or back loading contracts.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Just had a notification that George is off. Informed Tigers yesterday apparently. Alia iactus est.

Just hope his head stays with us until the season ends.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
arickett

Post by arickett »

The day fords dad left it was obvious he was leaving its the family plan, more interested in who we may get to replace him
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 pm Borthwick will have a plan IF this is true.

Be that a marquee 10 like Pollard

OR

Bringing in a marquee lock like Kruis (others available) and signing a new 10
Not sure that Kruis would be worthy of a marquee slot like an Itoje would. Good player he may be but we perhaps need depth at lock more than a big name.

Wonder if we may be/have signed Simmonds at fly half, might explain why he, their captain, has been out of favour at Exeter? Scapegoat when their issues are more in the front row.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:03 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 pm Borthwick will have a plan IF this is true.

Be that a marquee 10 like Pollard

OR

Bringing in a marquee lock like Kruis (others available) and signing a new 10
Not sure that Kruis would be worthy of a marquee slot like an Itoje would. Good player he may be but we perhaps need depth at lock more than a big name.

Wonder if we may be/have signed Simmonds at fly half, might explain why he, their captain, has been out of favour at Exeter? Scapegoat when their issues are more in the front row.
Interesting point regarding Simmonds 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:00 am Just had a notification that George is off. Informed Tigers yesterday apparently. Alia iactus est.

Just hope his head stays with us until the season ends.
It certainly is, and was since his Dad left. I honestly don't feel concerned about it. We have Freddie as a solid, known quantity (I was a little surprised we signed him but maybe SB knew what was coming), we have Dan Lancaster as up and coming and I was impressed with Bryce Hegarty at the weekend. Players leave and teams move on and all our chatter will be digital chip paper in no time at all.
As Good As It Gets
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Well it’s seems the ink is dry and Ford is off….now onto who we are getting to replace him. I think the management team will pull something great out of the the bag.
There is never any points for 2nd place...