Sale (H) 23rd October 2021 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sale (H) 23rd October 2021 - 3pm

Post by Postiger2 »

Another superb win, incredible defence and desire. I'm gutted for Hanro though, I love the man, it's a cliché but he is an absolute warrior. I was in that corner and it looked like a dislocation to me but it happened very quickly and obviously I haven't seen a reply.

We need him back as he epitomises the dogged determination of this 'new' side.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Sale's Tactics were just plain dull.

The SH kept every ball at the base of the ruck/scrum for 5 seconds a time.
Then they mainly kicked to Steward who missed nothing.
Or they gave it to Manu who ran straight. every. time.

So predictable I would be infuriated with Sale's tactics If I was a Sale fan.

Ford was exceptional today. Continues to deliver and control.
2nd half territory stats tell the story, Sale had major struggles there.
We lost notable yardage in their half in the first half on attack.

Have to say, felt Sale were a bit dirty on the tactics if I am honest. T Curry himself laughed at some of the calls Dickson gave him which were clearly bad. Sale were sealing off alot at the breakdown too Tigers intelligent no to compete where limited value.

Great game to be at.
Last edited by speedski on Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

6 from 6 says it all.

Some of those tackles by both sides today where brutal! A defensive masterclass.

Loved the Genge v Curry handbags.

Hope Hanro is okay but looked like something pretty serious.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Strikes me the Sale game plan was to wind up Gengey, leading with Tom Curry with his cheap shots backed up by Manu with his childish head rubbing and shoulder patting. Seems the TMO was completely disinterested in the tackling techniques of Manu and Van Rysenburg and in the first half directly in front of me ignored a blatant head role on Coley by Ross. Still enough about them that game was about us defence, tenacity, togetherness, effort and the desire to win was epic and truly inspiring.

Next week Saints it does not get any easier just hope those that played can recover quickly and refocus as they have really had to.

Any one know what was going off in the Goldsmiths stands which started with yelling from that stand as George Ford ran up to take a penalty kick at goal?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Seen a few posts on Twitter about an incident in the stands with fans calling for police and possibly a punch having been thrown.

I really hope that if punches have been thrown they make it clear that they are not welcome at Welford Road again
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:51 pm Another superb win, incredible defence and desire. I'm gutted for Hanro though, I love the man, it's a cliché but he is an absolute warrior. I was in that corner and it looked like a dislocation to me but it happened very quickly and obviously I haven't seen a reply.

We need him back as he epitomises the dogged determination of this 'new' side.
He was moving his arms around in some discomfort. If it was just the one shoulder I'm not sure why he was moving both around gingerly. I though maybe pectoral as he stretched to put the ball down and the Sale players landed on top of him?

Either way I hope he's back soon. One of our best singings in many years.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:17 pm Seen a few posts on Twitter about an incident in the stands with fans calling for police and possibly a punch having been thrown.

I really hope that if punches have been thrown they make it clear that they are not welcome at Welford Road again
+1
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

chris111 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:21 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:17 pm Seen a few posts on Twitter about an incident in the stands with fans calling for police and possibly a punch having been thrown.

+1
Mattioli Woods stand? There was a disturbance but the stewards were right on it!

+1
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Resilient, tense, gritty not pretty but we looked in control throughout ..a good, solid performance ✊
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LittleBigG wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:29 pm
chris111 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:21 pm

+1
Mattioli Woods stand? There was a disturbance but the stewards were right on it!

+1
https://twitter.com/ShaunGibson19/statu ... xWj1A&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
parkerd1968
Tiger Cub

Post by parkerd1968 »

I loved how the whole team charged at their kicker for their conversion to try and put him off. He was either poor or it worked. Either way, happy days 😁
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:20 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:16 pm No idea on Brink pretty sure he was in some training pics but not 100%
6. Chessum
7. Reffell
8. Brink
Would do a job IMO. But really bare potentially.
Agreed. Might be wrong but we should have MVS and Wiese for the Saints game it’s just Bath that we will be missing them. Might even have the England lads on the bench for Saints too. Unless I’ve got that wrong. Have Evans available too if Brink isn’t fit
Borthwick said on radio Leicester that the England contingent will be unavailable next week
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Hard earned win with lots to be proud of. Hanro injury a huge blow and I’m not sure how we will cope v Saints and Bath with so many international call ups!
Always seems a shame that the local derby and a Bath games are on International weekends!
Thought Sale came, (like the days under Diamond, ) with a plan to niggle, not in a way many teams would do with deliberate patting on the head of our players, hanging onto the ball when Dickson had already blown for their infringing and trying to get players carded but from where I was watching at least 2 Sale players lucky not to get yellows! Dickson typically inconsistent for both teams but TMO and touch judges missed neck rolls and blatant blocking.
Last edited by Ian Cant on Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

England camp all week.
But England do sometimes release players who they might not be intending to play in the next game.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Just finished watching the full match as was out earlier.. my thoughts:

Cracking defensive effort from the lads once again. Sale are a really well drilled, physical and powerful team and until the Dickson charity show in the last 10 minutes they couldn't find a way across the whitewash. Bit surprised they didn't tap and go from 5m out early on when they got that first penalty. Guess it shows that they weren't getting through the solid defensive line!

Dickson.. had a reasonable game.. 6/10 which by his standards is a fantastic performance. He missed a few forward passes and a really cheap shot in the first half where Manu came flying in to Nadolo who was lying on the floor.. nothing given, nothing from Kitty in the van who funny old thing remained silent but seemed identical to Kelly's citing and the one Manu got away with last week. What I did like from Dickson was he wasn't having any back chat and actually marched Sale back 10 twice in the same conversation for players giving him stick.. good to see although he gave their young 9 such an easy ride allowing him way more than 5s nearly every single ruck! Oh well, it's Dickson and to be honest he wasn't too bad today so no real complaints from me in this department aside from the cheap shot by Manu.

Sale half backs definitely impacted the game. With Faf and AJM I feel that would have ben a very different game. Sale must have turned down 4 or 5 shots at goal which with a kicker of Macginty's quality I wonder if they might have taken the points. Either way we definitely pressured their half backs into a fair few mistakes today.

Really like seeing Nadolo charging up the centre. Puts in a lot of work both out wide and coming inside looking for that crash ball. Very smart use of the big man.

Incredible offload by Wiese and what a finish by Liebenberg for our try. Reckon the injury looks like a dislocation. He didn't look comfortable when he went off but was moving it and wasn't in agony by any stretch.. hope he's ok and isn't out too long.

Ford was exceptional again today; the way he controlled the game, his delayed passes and near perfect off the tee. Steward was also outstanding and was perfect under the high ball. Must've taken something like 15 out of 15!

Some massive turnovers in there by the usual suspects but a really key one late on by Wells and my favourite was the one by Cole! He never gets rewarded but is always getting stuck in at the breakdown!

So the commentators said we haven't won our opening 6 games of a season since 1994! 27 years and here we are.. and those 6 matches included Sarries, Exeter and Sale and a few tricky away fixtures. Huge credit to the entire squad and SB for getting it spot on once again today.

Not the prettiest match but a gritty determined display that we dominated for large parts. Managed to play the officials out of the game and cancel out the threat posed by Sales massive centre partnership and even took apart their powerful scrum on a few occasions. Very well deserved win and to deny Sale a LBP at the death was a thing of beauty :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!