Expectations - 2021/2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Expectations - 2021/2022

Post by westwinds31 »

What does "good" look like then for this season ? Are we expecting to cement a Top 6 place and build or will fans be disappointed if we don't challenge for Top 4 maybe, or is it too soon for that ?

I still have Borthwick's initial interview in the back of my mind, where he said that it was a long road back, and that it would be a slow process to bring Leicester Tigers back up to somewhere near where they should be.

Whilst we're missing some key players who would ordinarily cause some damage, in terms of getting us on the front foot, I'm confident that because the wider squad have had a decent break and now have a full pre-season with Borthwick, Aled and now Kevin Sinfield, that we should be in prime shape to hit the ground running and put a strong marker down on the Premiership. The squad is decent enough now in all positions to kick-off and maintain a strong challenge, even with internationals away for large periods.

Assuming fitness is as good, if not better than last season, we will be fighting for the full 80 again in every game. Set piece and forward play should improve from last season, with Borthwick driving the standards and our driving maul should pay dividends again, especially if Ford/Burns can exploit the new 50/22 law. The main improvement that I think we're all hoping for is in attack. Players will know each other by now and have a better understanding of who can do what and what they're strengths etc are, so if we can get even 20% better in that department, we should be looking good.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Expectations - 2021/2022

Post by kpj tiger »

Minimum should be 6th, 5th would be good and 4th great, I would have said top 4 minimum but with Saracens back the league will be the strongest its ever been
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I would be more than satisfied with a top 4 finish - reasonably happy with a top six. More than happy to get to the quartes of the champions cup, and anything more is a bonus. There can't be many fans who are unhappy with the squad we have assembled but the difficulty will be how we function during the international windows and the players we lose to that. Now that some of our overseas players are still involved in internationals and will need a rest period when they eventually get back, the 2nd strings are more vital than ever and IMHO our 2nd strings are the strongest we have had for some years.
Hehehehehehehehe
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Fortress Welford Road would do for me, win all our home games and the rest will come.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:55 am Fortress Welford Road would do for me, win all our home games and the rest will come.
Quite right! Invincibility at home would be a good objective for the new season, and a place in the top 4 would be nice.
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think top 4 is a realistic target, but finishing top 6 I think is the minimum target.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

If we see similar progress to that we saw last season the play offs should be achievable.

I believe we are building a strong squad and whilst there are new players still to settle in we have excellent backroom support which is always a prerequisite of a successful team. I fondly remember the days when victory at home was a 'gimmie' and the question was only the margin of the win. The game has moved on since then and I don't expect ever to see a repeat of those days but I will be happy if we see a team we can be truely proud of which win a lot more than they loose.

Can't wait :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Top 6 and win our home games in Europe. Make WR a fortress again. That would be good progress. Bringing through the younger players and seeing them take a step up would also be good. I'd like to see us target bonus points more regularly as well as that has been a real failing in recent years.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

And let's not forget we will start the season with a fit and rested England international pairing at half-back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Less than top 6 will be disappointing, top 4 should be the aim.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Top 6 as a minimum, ideally top 4 and progress out of the group in Europe
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

For me the fitness and availability of our internationals will determine where we finish. The reason I believe Quins did so well last season was they didn’t pick up many injuries and hardly had any international call ups. Most teams have recruited well: Wasps will be strong as I cannot see them being hit so hard with injuries.
Exeter, Sarries, Bristol top 3 then any of the rest to fight for 4-6!
Key players for us, Genge,Montoya, Hanro, Martin, Reffel, JVP, Moroni and Ford.
Worries: love Freddie but not sure he’s an improvement on Henry and McPhillips.
Lack of speed on the wings.
Not sure about the new rules either: could result in more kicking!
Good luck Tigers.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Top half of the table, so at least 6 or 7 (given that there are now 13 teams). I am not sure any higher is realistic.
I think overall team quality and depth has definitely improved, and as the team better resembles what SB wants (rather than what he inherited) then getting players to play well together under pressure will be the main challenge.
My other expectation is a lot less player turnover than in the last few years. With some exciting quality younger players in the team, alongside some veterans I am hoping that in 12 months time many if not all of these will provide a stable core going forward. So, no dramatic improvement.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Agree with the fortress Welford Road* thing. Also top 6 knocking on the door of the playoffs will do for me. Get into the top 4 I will be well happy, get to the final I'll be ecstatic, win it I reckon I'll burst!!

*I can't bring myself to add the Matiolillilili woods bit....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Keeping expectations low but hopes high - other sides are looking to improve also.A hard season is in store , but hopefully a fruitful one.Taking nothing for granted as nothing will be given to us..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....