Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SAINTS AT HOME 24TH APRIL 2021

Post by Crofty »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:28 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:25 pm
drc_007 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:22 pm

Not just him, I've lost count of the number of stupid penalties given away when there was no need to do so.
You can't count to a maximum of 9? Our discipline, for the most part, was fine...
He prob meant in the whole season.

(When 2 of those pens meant playing with 14 men for 20 minutes it's hardly fine though)
One of the yellows really wasn't given they'd waved off worse by Saints earlier, the other one was marginal at best for me...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:12 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:09 pm I’m happy to blame the ref. Or lack of it. There has been key moments, including in our last attack, where the wrong decision by the ref stopped what was a most likely a try.

Dismissing a head shot by Saints and obvious red / yellow.

Allowing a one side blinkered TMO to make the calls and effectively reverse his decision.

Allowing Saints to come, not just in the side of the rolling maul, but in one case running around the back and preventing what would have been a try.

Not policing Saints players keeping hold of the ball on the ground.

Completely disregarding the offside.

Selective decision making on the line out. Not all Saints line outs were straight.

In a game of fine margins that’s at least 2 obvious tries worth = win

Do you want me to go on

Livid
ref didn't even look at the hit on Kelly, TMO told him it was unavoidable and play on, that alone should see the TMO suspended.

It was a shot with the shoulder with force to the head, mitigation down to a yellow and he didn't even get the ref to check it
It was off the ball too, wasn't it?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Still got carded though...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not sure what Green did wrong to be singled out for today's loss...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Let's see.........

1) Bone dry, virtually windless, perfect rugby weather, and we coughed up the ball fifteen times at least.

2)Gifted them points and territory because of woefully indiscipline that also resulting in us playing a quarter of the game a man down.

3) Failing to convert multiple times while camped on their try line.

No mystery then that we lost. Recent improvements put into perspective I think. We are better than we were that is true, but that was from rock bottom, and there is clearly still much to do.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Man for man, I’d say only Liebenberg and Wiese were as good as, or better than their opposite numbers in the pack. I expected us to boss the scrum, but we only really gained an edge after we made changes. Ribbans was far more involved than either of our locks.
Saints backs were far more dangerous, looked to targets outside edges rather than direct, and promoted the ball well. I thought Youngs and Ford were quiet, Scott was bit error prone. We missed Kelly’s enthusiasm and directness with Moroni’s guile and grit. Van Wyk was anonymous, Potter offers far more energy.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Poorest game for me. We were always playing catch up. Looked a bit like headless chickens.
Lots of effort lots of poor handling errors and in general poor decision making.
The only thing that flattered us was the 5 point score difference allowing us a loosing BP.

Or have we a bigger eye on Friday -v- Ulster.

Agree, some players coming back into the team who were not match fit.
Don't agree the ref and TMO were to blame. In general offside line being broken by most refs for the last two seasons.
We make bad judgements and are punished for it. Time we learnt to adjust to Sirs.
However only one team getting punished for high tackles.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

We weren’t good enough today. Ref was worse in the second half but we still had plenty of opportunity to win.

We lost by 1 point last week and 5 this week, with five wins before that. Admittedly, the losses were mostly our own doing but it’s hardly the abject disaster.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I just don’t think the ref was very good for either side.
Scott should have been sent off. One Saints player was given a yellow for doing nothing wrong- they deserved a yellow but I didn’t really see the offence as that. He does not inspire any sense of competence.

The thing that hindered tigers the most was the refereeing of the maul which was, almost always, incorrect. The fact this was a major weapon for us limited our attack significantly- the one at the end on Nadolo was ridiculous. However we still butchered numerous chances and our general play was very poor until the final 25 minutes.

Tigers seem very good off first phase but from there our timing seems off. I thought we really missed a trick not going through the guts around the ruck when we were going forward. It would have also exposed the fact they were offside.

The season comes down to Ulster now.
Both last week and this week are games we should have won. It is all a matter of accuracy.

It is so frustrating and I am sure the players feel that way even more.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:33 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:12 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:09 pm I’m happy to blame the ref. Or lack of it. There has been key moments, including in our last attack, where the wrong decision by the ref stopped what was a most likely a try.

Dismissing a head shot by Saints and obvious red / yellow.

Allowing a one side blinkered TMO to make the calls and effectively reverse his decision.

Allowing Saints to come, not just in the side of the rolling maul, but in one case running around the back and preventing what would have been a try.

Not policing Saints players keeping hold of the ball on the ground.

Completely disregarding the offside.

Selective decision making on the line out. Not all Saints line outs were straight.

In a game of fine margins that’s at least 2 obvious tries worth = win

Do you want me to go on

Livid
ref didn't even look at the hit on Kelly, TMO told him it was unavoidable and play on, that alone should see the TMO suspended.

It was a shot with the shoulder with force to the head, mitigation down to a yellow and he didn't even get the ref to check it
It was off the ball too, wasn't it?
Late tackle as Kelly offloaded
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Second row is now worrying me for next season. We’ve got two great prospects in Martin and Henderson, but will probably be too young to rely on week in week out next season. Chessum I can see being a great premiership standard lock like McNally, but again next season will probably be too soon.

Therefore, will probably be more of the same with Wells, Green and Snyman. Good squad players, but lack some quality when compared to like Ribbans.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:34 pm Not sure what Green did wrong to be singled out for today's loss...
It’s more what he hasn’t done since being back here, he’s not being blamed for the loss but people are commenting on how he just doesn’t seem to be good enough to be first choice
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:44 pm Second row is now worrying me for next season. We’ve got two great prospects in Martin and Henderson, but will probably be too young to rely on week in week out next season. Chessum I can see being a great premiership standard lock like McNally, but again next season will probably be too soon.

Therefore, will probably be more of the same with Wells, Green and Snyman. Good squad players, but lack some quality when compared to like Ribbans.
Hadn’t really thought about it but we actually missed Martin today - his tackle rate and work rate was missed with Wells and Green below par
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:44 pm Second row is now worrying me for next season. We’ve got two great prospects in Martin and Henderson, but will probably be too young to rely on week in week out next season. Chessum I can see being a great premiership standard lock like McNally, but again next season will probably be too soon.

Yes it doesn’t inspire confidence at all unless we hit the jackpot with Snyman. Let’s hope we have a lock up our sleeve
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

We missed Reffell as well, tackling machine