Away vs Bath 18th April

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Away vs Bath 18th April

Post by kk20gb30 »

Key for me is battle for supremacy up front in what could quite possibly be a dress rehearsal for European honours....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think both head coaches are working to a similar blueprint. They want forward dominance and good set piece to be the cornerstone of their game. So it will be intriguing to see who is making the better progress at this stage.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Share on Twitterteve Borthwick has named the Leicester Tigers matchday squad to travel to Bath in Round 16 of the Gallagher Premiership season.
Tom Youngs captains the side alongside Ellis Genge and Dan Cole in the front row, with Tigers Academy graduates Harry Wells and Calum Green included as the Leicester locks.
George Martin, Tommy Reffell and Jasper Wiese complete the Leicester pack in the back row.
“This is a Bath team high on confidence, who are bringing very good form into Sunday’s fixture after an impressive run of results in both the Premiership and Challenge Cup.”
Ben Youngs, in just his second Premiership appearance of the season, is named alongside George Ford as the Tigers half-backs, with Dan Kelly partnering Matías Moroni in the Leicester midfield.
Borthwick has named an unchanged back three from last weekend’s European outing for the trip to The Rec with Freddie Steward at full-back, and Kini Murimurivalu and Harry Potter as the wings.
Charlie Clare, Luan de Bruin, Joe Heyes, Tomás Lavanini and Luke Wallace are the forwards replacements and Richard Wigglesworth, Johnny McPhillips and Matt Scott are the backs on the bench.
Speaking ahead of Sunday’s fixture, the Tigers head coach said: “Bath is a well-resourced club who have invested heavily in this squad and their rugby programme.
"They are a well-coached side, led by an experienced coaching team and boast internationals throughout their squad.
“This is a Bath team high on confidence, who are bringing very good form into Sunday’s fixture after an impressive run of results in both the Premiership and Challenge Cup.”
Leicester Tigers XV
[club appearances in brackets]

15 Freddie Steward [27]

14 Harry Potter [12]

13 Matías Moroni [11]

12 Dan Kelly [13]

11 Kini Murimurivalu [14]

10 George Ford [100]

9 Ben Youngs [255]

1 Ellis Genge [81]

2 Tom Youngs (c) [208]

3 Dan Cole [256]

4 Harry Wells [116]

5 Calum Green [54]

6 George Martin [10]

7 Tommy Reffell [42]

8 Jasper Wiese [11]

Replacements

16 Charlie Clare [26]

17 Luan de Bruin [12]

18 Joe Heyes [63]

19 Tomás Lavanini [31]

20 Luke Wallace [14]

21 Richard Wigglesworth [10]

22 Johnny McPhillips [17]

23 Matt Scott [18]
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Underhill & Muir return.

Bath Rugby side to face Leicester Tigers
15. Anthony Watson, 14. Joe Cokanasiga, 13. Jonathan Joseph, 12. Cameron Redpath, 11. Will Muir, 10. Josh Matavesi, 9. Ben Spencer; 1. Beno Obano, 2. Jack Walker, 3. Will Stuart, 4. Josh McNally, 5. Charlie Ewels ©, 6. Taulupe Faletau, 7. Sam Underhill, 8. Zach Mercer

Replacements
16. Jacques du Toit, 17. Juan Schoeman, 18. Henry Thomas, 19. Mike Williams, 20. Miles Reid, 21. Will Chudley, 22. Orlando Bailey, 23. Alex Gray
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Stuart Hooper has made three changes for Bath Rugby’s Round 16 Gallagher Premiership match against Leicester Tigers on Sunday.

Josh Matavesi is back in the side at fly-half following a spell on the sidelines with injury and is joined in the backline by wing Will Muir who has scored three tries in his last two league games.

After missing the Challenge Cup quarter-final win over London Irish, Sam Underhill returns to the back row alongside Taulupe Faletau and Zach Mercer.

Ben Spencer continues at scrum-half and the centre partnership of Cameron Redpath and Jonathan Joseph also remains.

England international Anthony Watson and Joe Cokanasiga keep their places at full-back and wing respectively.

The front row of Beno Obano, Jack Walker and Will Stuart is consistent as is the second row pairing of Josh McNally and captain Charlie Ewels.

With Matavesi’s inclusion, Senior Academy fly-half Orlando Bailey is the only new addition to the bench.
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Looks to me like both teams have out as strong a starting XV and bench as they can.

A titanic battle looks in store!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If we win this one we really are back on the road to recovery.

I think Bath will win by 10.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Bath 4 point favourites with the bookies.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Betfair have Bath favourites at 1/2
Leicester are 9/5
Draw 20/1

Handicap betting - 5 points between Bath and Leicester
www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tiger's team near full strength, personally I might have gone for JVP on the bench instead of Wigglesworth as I think he represents a fresh dimension when he comes on against tired legs and minds but this team will give a good account of its self against a strong Bath squad. It should be a good game, I think we can win but I will not be betting my house on the result.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Bath always target this as one of, if not their biggest games of the season just like Saints. This will really test just how good we now are and for Bath, well, at some point they will have to rest their internationals, particularly Watson!
I would have liked JVP in because I now believe he is better, and certainly more dangerous than Wigglesworth and White: attacking scrums have to be really well defended by the opposition when JVP is playing. For Bath, Spencer is a huge player for them and another who hasn’t rested.
I think not having Hanro, Clyde and Nadalo out will prove massive.
Bath, with that team should beat anyone but pressure does as we know, do strange things to teams!
Hope I’m wrong but I see Bath winning by 7-12 points.
Main thing is not getting injuries or reds before the crucial home games.
The good news is Tigers now believe they can beat any side and IF we do win another away game it will be a huge statement.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:14 pm Tiger's team near full strength, personally I might have gone for JVP on the bench instead of Wigglesworth as I think he represents a fresh dimension when he comes on against tired legs and minds but this team will give a good account of its self against a strong Bath squad. It should be a good game, I think we can win but I will not be betting my house on the result.
Agree with all this - their strike runners in the backs are probably more dangerous than ours and can create from nothing.

If we can put the squeeze on up front and win the territorial battle forcing them to play from deep then i can see us win a few penalties and opportunities from driving mauls and then build scoreboard pressure. If they win territory and get good ball for that backline they'd back themselves to run in a few tries I imagine.

Expect lots of box kicking and Fordy's spiral bombs so hopefully our back 3 are going to put in strong a kick chase to go with it.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Good bench, back line looks strong and mobile, Bath team looks powerful, would have kept Clare at Hooker, if the tigers pack gets on top then I think we will sneak the win.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Leicester Tigers XV

15 Freddie Steward - First choice

14 Harry Potter - First choice

13 Matías Moroni - First choice

12 Dan Kelly - First choice for me although close call with Scott who is on the bench

11 Kini Murimurivalu - Close second behind injured Nadolo although an exciting talent who links well with Potter and Steward

10 George Ford - First choice

9 Ben Youngs - First choice

1 Ellis Genge - First choice

2 Tom Youngs (c) - Second choice behind injured Montoya although huge experience and used to playing in this front row

3 Dan Cole - First choice

4 Harry Wells - First choice

5 Calum Green - hugely experienced and sensible choice giving Henderson a rest

6 George Martin - Will be a huge loss not having Liebenberg but Martin had an outstanding game at 6 last week

7 Tommy Reffell - First choice

8 Jasper Wiese - First choice

Replacements

16 Charlie Clare
17 Luan de Bruin
18 Joe Heyes

All have been very impressive lately and will add considerable impact around the 45-50 minute mark.

19 Tomás Lavanini
20 Luke Wallace

Again great options to bring on off the bench. Experience, big carrying and great breakdown options respectively.

21 Richard Wigglesworth - Would like to have seen JvP here as he adds real pace and urgency to the game and targets tiring players well and seems to find the gaps. Wigglesworth is a good starting option for me when Youngs is away but I prefer the youngsters on the bench.

22 Johnny McPhillips
23 Matt Scott

Real solid back up 10 and centre to bring on if required.

Very happy with this side. Only real absentees for me would be Montoya, Liebenberg and Nadolo otherwise we are pretty much at full strength. No Preistland at 10 is a big loss for them although they have a quality side and this will be an absolute cracker. Their back row is immense (although next season a potential Tigers back row of Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese would be an tasty match up) but we have some great jacklers in Reffell and Wallace and hopefully Mr Pearce will officiate fairly and allow for a good game.

Too close to call for me but a great opportunity to measure our progress. Can't wait for this one.. :smt023
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:27 pm Main thing is not getting injuries or reds before the crucial home games.
Agreed