Jumping to catch the ball

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Jumping to catch the ball

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

jumping is fine but the moment you raise your knee or boot you are the person guilty of foul play no matter what happens IMO and you should be sent off
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Well given the level of discussion around this it'll be interesting to see if Tigers contest the red in the hearing.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Never saw Dusty or Andy Irvine jump that high.... JPR on the other hand, 🤣🤣🤣
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:30 pm Well given the level of discussion around this it'll be interesting to see if Tigers contest the red in the hearing.
Trouble is contesting it can lead to a longer ban...might be better to accept the card, argue the sanction. The outcome of this will genuinely be interesting/intriguing.
I would hazard a guess that Hanro was just exhausted & just wasn't concentrating till the last moment, it's also another example of our poor restarts at the moment.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:58 pm Hanro should have tried to compete with the ball and not pull out or at least catch Bassett, so whilst it would have been a penalty he wouldn’t have got the red card.
I don’t think Hanro was competing for the ball: he was pushing up in the line looking to the right and ahead where the ball was going. Bassett jumped fur the ball and landed on him. Bassett was never going to take the ball, merely getting the fingertip of one hand to it. He misjudged the flight of the ball and jumped to take it and landed on a player who never expected a player in his channel to be jumping.

It was neither a deliberate nor a reckless act on the part of either player. An error by the jumper who landed on Hanro.

The interpretation of the law and probably the law is wrong. In order to jump you should only do so if you are realistically trying to play the ball. When you do jump you should jump up, not forward with a knee up Aussie rules style. I wold argue that if you land more than 1.5m from the take off point, you are deemed to be reckless and if you get skittled, it’s your own fault and you should be penalised.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:28 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:58 pm Hanro should have tried to compete with the ball and not pull out or at least catch Bassett, so whilst it would have been a penalty he wouldn’t have got the red card.
I don’t think Hanro was competing for the ball: he was pushing up in the line looking to the right and ahead where the ball was going. Bassett jumped fur the ball and landed on him. Bassett was never going to take the ball, merely getting the fingertip of one hand to it. He misjudged the flight of the ball and jumped to take it and landed on a player who never expected a player in his channel to be jumping.

It was neither a deliberate nor a reckless act on the part of either player. An error by the jumper who landed on Hanro.

The interpretation of the law and probably the law is wrong. In order to jump you should only do so if you are realistically trying to play the ball. When you do jump you should jump up, not forward with a knee up Aussie rules style. I wold argue that if you land more than 1.5m from the take off point, you are deemed to be reckless and if you get skittled, it’s your own fault and you should be penalised.
I agree with most of what you say, specifically what I have highlighted in bold. However I don’t think the issue would be solved by making jumping forward illegal, all refs have to do is just perhaps look at the actions of the jumper in equilibrium with the actions of the player on the floor and better coaching of both in my opinion, as both Hanro and Bassett seem to be acting on instinct.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni