Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: 20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:06 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:47 pm Who the leader is doesn't matter near as much as the team playing like leaders.
Full respect to OTY for carrying the baggage through rough times but I'd bet that he is enjoying rugby a lot more now.
Who the captain is reflects on the club as a whole.
I have never been a fan of OTYs on field captaincy, off field a different matter.

The lack of genuine captaincy material in the run on XV (& maybe the squad) is worrying, think back to the Johnson era the team was packed with leaders & captains.
To be fair I thought they were pretty good against Wasps and with a man sent off the Leicester of a couple of years ago might've capitulated.
The performances reflect on the club more and they are getting better.
The Johnson everyone remembers was the peak.
I have family who are Bristol supporters and they are concerned about playing us, relieved that Wiese and Liebenberg might be missing but still a bit concerned about Leicester turning up.
No one was concerned about playing Leicester last season or the one before.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Getting feisty:

Blackett has hit back at Steve Borthwick, the Leicester director of rugby, who claimed Wasps players were calling for red cards during a match that saw the Tigers win 27-8. Leicester players Jasper Wiese and Hanro Lienbenberg plus Wasps Kieran Brookes were sent off and Blackett said: “It is an emotional sport and I have too much respect for other clubs to talk about what other clubs do.

“I wouldn’t be using the media to get a point across to another club.”
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ourla wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 am Getting feisty:

Blackett has hit back at Steve Borthwick, the Leicester director of rugby, who claimed Wasps players were calling for red cards during a match that saw the Tigers win 27-8. Leicester players Jasper Wiese and Hanro Lienbenberg plus Wasps Kieran Brookes were sent off and Blackett said: “It is an emotional sport and I have too much respect for other clubs to talk about what other clubs do.

Tbh it's a bit Wendyball from both of them, the relentless creep of this type of thing into the game is disappointing, it won't be long before the players will be doing the imaginary card show...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 am

Tbh it's a bit Wendyball from both of them, the relentless creep of this type of thing into the game is disappointing, it won't be long before the players will be doing the imaginary card show...
Creep?
Did you forget cockers post match?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Was trying to be generous...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:02 pm
Redstripeman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:53 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:25 pm Only shame was Henry’s kicking otherwise we could’ve chased the TBP.
. We did, just that we were poor in the red zone too often!!!
We had the opportunities for the bonus points, it wasn't Henry you was to blame in those circumstances.
You missed my point mate. If he hadve kicked his points off the tee our lead would've been great enough to go for the corner more often instead of just making sure we had an untenable lead.
Yes and no Scotty. After a conversion attempt, the restart is always on halfway, but with a penalty, if successful, restart on halfway, if unsuccessful, restart with 22 drop out. So if he had been successful with either missed penalty, the game would have restarted from a different place, leading to a completely different game, guaranteed (but not necessarily a different result). Being successful with either conversion might have led to a different game but probably not much. 9
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Let's hope that those who do will see their own yellow card almost immediately!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Well what does Blackett expect.
Anyone with any sense isn't going to get confrontational as they might complain to the officials! :smt005
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Maybe Beckett should focus on pulling his forward's shorts up after the hosing they got by our pack at the weekend rather than try to make pretty meaningless jabs at Borthwick's comments?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:11 pm

+1

I'd like to see soccer refs doing that now. The down side of the soccer yellow card is that recipient doesn't get to sit on his behind for ten minutes.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:40 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:11 pm

+1

I'd like to see soccer refs doing that now. The down side of the soccer yellow card is that recipient doesn't get to sit on his behind for ten minutes.
Soccer refs could help themselves out no ends by doing simple things.

They could cut out most diving by giving fouls when players do stay on their feet, but never do so a player is an idiot if they don't go down.

Show yellow, second yellows and straight reds for dissent, players adjust quickly and they would soon cut it out.

Also stop acting like a public schoolmaster, instead of simply telling a player to go away tell them what the foul was for, even if they don't agree they would accept it
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:25 pm Only shame was Henry’s kicking otherwise we could’ve chased the TBP.
We had the opportunities for the bonus points, it wasn't Henry you was to blame in those circumstances.
You missed my point mate. If he hadve kicked his points off the tee our lead would've been great enough to go for the corner more often instead of just making sure we had an untenable lead.
...we did go for the corner numerous times and either turned it over or was pinged.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Redstripeman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 am

...we did go for the corner numerous times and either turned it over or was pinged.
It’s a combination of both. We took a shot at goal if my memory serves me correctly when we were 16 points ahead having scored 2T. That was a strange decision and why not press for the extra BP. Yes our conversion rate in the red zone wasn’t great this week and we did try the rolling maul a few times with varying success but I would definitely like to have seen a few more go into the corner with a sizeable lead
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!