Away vs Quins Sat 13th Feb

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Away vs Quins Sat 13th Feb

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

My initial thoughts are mixed. Good to see JvP getting a start but think our centre pairing is a bit weak and not sure at all about our back row. Huge loss not having Wiese in the 23, not a massive fan of Brink at 7 either so all in all I think we will struggle to win this one with that team. Also very weak backs on the bench. No Porter or Potter is a blow.

I hope I'm proved wrong but not feeling that confident about this one anymore..
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

tigercub21 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:31 am Anyone know why we are training at Leicester Forest rugby club?
Probably because of the recent weather my guess is that conditions there were better than at Oval Park?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:02 pm Moroni at 14? 🤔
Played wing for Argentina a number of times
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

Really not confident about this one, where is Wiese? the back row looks really unbalanced
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Quins team:

HARLEQUINS HAVE NAMED THE SIDE TO HOST LEICESTER TIGERS AT THE TWICKENHAM STOOP IN THE GALLAGHER PREMIERSHIP ON SATURDAY.

Second row Matt Symons is set to make his 50th appearance for Harlequins this weekend having been named in the Club’s starting line-up to face East Midlands side Leicester Tigers.

Quins’ coaching team opt for an almost unchanged side for a third week in a row, with one change to the starting line-up as tighthead prop Simon Kerrod starts in the three jersey in place of Springbok Wilco Louw, who takes up a spot on the bench.

There are two further changes to the matchday 23, as fly-half Brett Herron takes up the 22 jersey on the bench, joined by Wallaby centre Ben Tapuai, who will wear 23.

Alex Dombrandt

On the hunt for a third consecutive Premiership win for the first time since the 2018/19 season, Quins look to secure a first home win of the season, having gone unbeaten against Leicester Tigers in the last three encounters between the two clubs.

Commenting, Lineout and Defence Coach Jerry Flannery said: “It’s been a cold training week in Surrey but make no mistake we’re fired up to play at home again this weekend.

“It’s been great to play some running rugby over the last fortnight, and we look forward to testing our mettle on Saturday.

“Leicester will offer us a stern challenge in the tight, the kicking game and at set-piece time. They’re a well-drilled team and we’re ready to face a different challenge this week.”

Harlequins Starting XV
1. Joe Marler (210)
2. Scott Baldwin (27)
3. Simon Kerrod (35)
4. Matt Symons (49)
5. Stephan Lewies (23)
6. Archie White (34)
7. Will Evans (30)
8. Alex Dombrandt (61)
9. Danny Care (291)
10. Marcus Smith (95)
11. Aaron Morris (56)
12. Andre Esterhuizen (10)
13. Joe Marchant (98)
14. Louis Lynagh (6)
15. Mike Brown (342)

Impact Players
16. Elia Elia (61)
17. Santiago Garcia Botta (28)
18. Wilco Louw (13)
19. Glen Young (29)
20. Richard de Carpentier (3)
21. Martin Landajo (24)
22. Brett Herron (15)
23. Ben Tapuai (34)
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Surprising selection to be honest, but Taute is now a proven leader and Moroni has played international rugby on the wing. Great to see JVP get his more than deserved start. Liebenberg more than demonstrated his ability to play at 8 last season so no concerns for me in that regard.

I would have thought one of Porter or Potter could have got a look-in this weekend but never mind.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Missing Wiese, Wigglesworth & Van Wyk in addition to the injured Nadolo.

Wonder if we're just resting them or we've had a couple of positive tests?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Perhaps the selection of Taute is to counter the threat of Esterhuizen?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:02 pm Moroni at 14? 🤔
Played wing for Argentina a number of times
Thanks!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Big moment for JV-P, hope the lad goes well as a starting 9!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Wiggs absence could be down to rotation. Ben needs to get a run out if we are to keep him. JV-P is worth a start based on performance so far.

Nice to see Reffell on the bench which seem very strong in terms of forwards, particularly the front row.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Granted Quins are putting out a strong team, but I don’t think our 23 is as weak as some people are making out.

We’ve got two international centres and Moroni got the majority of his caps playing 14. Strong bench, especially in the front row. Yes it’s going to be tough away but will do well if we fight out a LBP or TBP.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

Last time we played Quins we had a full strength squad and they did not, yet they still beat us. This time it’s the other way around and they are also in a rich vein of form. The absence of Wiese really worries me, not because I doubt Leibenburg but i just really don’t like it when we play our best players out of position. I can really see it being a nasty day for us at the stoop if things don’t go our way. However if we do show the same dominance at the set piece then I would be slightly more confident. Just shows how a few injuries can throw off a whole team, feels like the old times during the international breaks.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Noggs wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:11 pm Wiggs absence could be down to rotation. Ben needs to get a run out if we are to keep him.

Nice to see Reffell on the bench which seem very strong in terms of forwards, particularly the front row.
Strong forwards bench, weak backs bench. Perfect opportunity for Porter and with Kelly at 23 I imagine he must be injured or unavailable. Would sooner see Cole starting as it will be a real battle upfront and I'm not sure Heyes is quite up to the task (albeit a huge potential and solid player) but I guess some players need a rest and others need opportunities.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Looking at Cole on the bench suggests to be a degree of rotation in the selections at least.
I get the feeling Potter and Porter are most likely still injured or not 100% fit.