Championship rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship rugby

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So two weekends left and 3 teams can win the championship.

As it stands:

Doncaster - P 19 - Pts 72
Ealing - P 18 - Pts 70
Pirates - P 18 - Pts 69

Fixtures remaining
Doncaster:
Bye & A vs Nottingham

Ealing:
H vs Pirates & H vs Richmond

Pirates
A vs Ealing & H vs Ampthill

Despite having lost once less than Ealing, Doncaster's fate is out of their hands due to more BP's picked up by the Trailfinders who have 6 more bonus points from the season so far. Even should Pirates win vs Ealing then Doncaster have to rely on other results as Pirates would have leapfrogged them by a single point. Also worth pointing out that Ealing's points difference is something like 200 more than their rivals too, so they basically win all ties.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ealing will win the league imo
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:46 am Ealing will win the league imo
I'd be very surprised if they didn't.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

If they do it would be good to see them come up. The flip side of that is, and apologies if my London geography is off, but as the crow flies there isn’t much distance between the grounds of Ealing, London Irish and Quins. Even in London can 3 teams survive so close to each other
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:08 am If they do it would be good to see them come up. The flip side of that is, and apologies if my London geography is off, but as the crow flies there isn’t much distance between the grounds of Ealing, London Irish and Quins. Even in London can 3 teams survive so close to each other
There isn't much distance, and if you include Richmond who ground share with London Scottish and maybe Sarries, that's a lot of teams you could throw the proverbial blanket over. My thoughts on Ealing, they will probably win it but they just don't get the people through the gates. I believe no more than 500 for home games. Is this likely to increase if they were to go up ? Plus, it's another 4G pitch for players to get injured on :smt018 :smt009
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Ealing win & cuckoo up to Yorkshire?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:09 pm Ealing win & cuckoo up to Yorkshire?
Can’t imagine the locals being ok with that.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Well Ealing smashed Pirates 44-24, barring a slip up vs Richmond they'll be winning the championship.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:50 pm Well Ealing smashed Pirates 44-24, barring a slip up vs Richmond they'll be winning the championship.
……and playing Pirates and Richmond again next season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Doncaster won last night, to put the pressure on Ealing, but Ealing should be cruising to victory vs Richmond
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I was at the Bay last night. Doncaster dominant at scrum time, but apart from that and a solid defence, they didn’t impress me. They struggled to get the bonus point. If they were to go up, I’d fear for them. Vanes showed up well again.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Well done Ealing. I hope some sensible solution sees them take their place in the Premiership next season.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

teds wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:52 pm Well done Ealing. I hope some sensible solution sees them take their place in the Premiership next season.
I must admit my ignorance when it comes to watching Championship rugby but if they are admitted into the Prem how likely are they to be competitive?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wigworth wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:56 pm
teds wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:52 pm Well done Ealing. I hope some sensible solution sees them take their place in the Premiership next season.
I must admit my ignorance when it comes to watching Championship rugby but if they are admitted into the Prem how likely are they to be competitive?
I'd expect them to finish bottom, but be competitive in some games, they pushed Saracens harder than they expected last season.

Worth pointing out that with how the league is planned to be structured there's no relegation next season either so they would have a guaranteed 2 years in the league, which should make recruitment easier.

With players missing out on contracts due to ever shrinking cap space plus possible fire sales at clubs they could make some really useful signings, IF the RFU had confirmed they could go up already. As it is they'll likely have to wait for hearings etc, meaning they'll miss out on opportunities to sign players even if they are successful in their appeal. So the fact they've been rejected already is a double whammy for them.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

i'm more worried that Ealing seem to get 3 figured attendances