Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale game moved - Teams up

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:00 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:56 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:43 pm The law needs changing, a deliberate slap down of the ball is cynical play and should be penalised. If van Wyk slaps it out on the full it’s a yellow card, but you slap it down in open play it’s fine? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Scott played some of his best rugby in a Tigers shirt thus far, whilst Montoya provided an exciting 35 minute stint.
No different to a slap back in a lineout, if it's back towards your line it's fine, deliberately slapping it off the field isn't.
As for the deliberate knock on by Sale, it saved another shocking pass from our "esteemed experienced 9" If White is available next week he has to start.

As for Nemani, his mate is leaving, & Mrs N is back in Oz.. played well.
I did not think that they were allowing entries into Australia at the moment, only returning nationals.
Doesn't Nemani have an Aussie passport, if so Mrs Nadalo could have one too?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:00 am The last time we played Sale at home in the Premiership with Murphy as Head Coach.... we WON 19-15.
In a game we only won because Faf de Klerk was kicking for the sticks.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:11 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:43 pm The law needs changing, a deliberate slap down of the ball is cynical play and should be penalised. If van Wyk slaps it out on the full it’s a yellow card, but you slap it down in open play it’s fine? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Scott played some of his best rugby in a Tigers shirt thus far, whilst Montoya provided an exciting 35 minute stint.
No different to a slap back in a lineout, if it's back towards your line it's fine, deliberately slapping it off the field isn't.
As for the deliberate knock on by Sale, it saved another shocking pass from our "esteemed experienced 9" If White is available next week he has to start.

In my view, the slap back in the lineout is just competition in the air, same as if two fullbacks go for the ball in open play for example. But in my view deliberately slapping the ball of the field and slapping on the ground to cynically prevent a certain try should be treated the same.

The pass from Wigglesworth was always affected by the deliberate knock on, so how can you deem it shocking apart from your frankly silly dislike of the guy?
I think that’s it.. any chance to take a cheap shot at Wigglesworth.. getting a bit repetitive now
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wigglesworth was playing his first game in nearly two months....expect him to start against Worcester with Bonilla at Fly half.......
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:11 am

In my view, the slap back in the lineout is just competition in the air, same as if two fullbacks go for the ball in open play for example. But in my view deliberately slapping the ball of the field and slapping on the ground to cynically prevent a certain try should be treated the same.

The pass from Wigglesworth was always affected by the deliberate knock on, so how can you deem it shocking apart from your frankly silly dislike of the guy?
The pass was missing the biggest target on the field, it was hardly a massive change of direction.
Is it silly to think picking a 37 year old who has got worse every outing for us in front of younger players who might actually develop?
Personally I would of preferred the club not to of employed him for various reasons, but regardless he should still of been banned last night anyway.
Slapping the ball off the field of play is against the rules, on the field it's a knock back, how would you differentiate between a flick on & a knock back, we have refs who can't count to 5 or spot blindingly obvious knock ons, anything interpretation based is beyond all "Sirs" bar Wayne & Nigel.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:00 am The last time we played Sale at home in the Premiership with Murphy as Head Coach.... we WON 19-15.
That's true. I think it was one of the 10+/- games he won out of the 40+/- that he was in charge.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A knock on, like a forward pass is a technical error. A deliberate knock on is a penalty. The one handed knock on interpretation is to make it easier to distinguish a deliberate act from an attempted catch that goes wrong. If you get two hands two it there is no doubt you could have caught it. One handed whilst running? It’s not a cricket ball!

To make a knock back into a penalty would be nonsensical. It’s no different to tip back in the line out or for that matter a pass that goes astray off both hands.

Fundamental rule of rugby of both codes is that the ball can go back off any part of the body. From the hand it has to be backwards.

Slapping the ball out, like deliberately passing it out is a penalty. The direction the ball travels in is irrelevant. If you want to get the ball off the pitch you have to carry it out or kick it off.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:21 am Wigglesworth was playing his first game in nearly two months....expect him to start against Worcester with Bonilla at Fly half.......
At best, Wigglesworth is the fifth choice scrum half at the club, and also is the one with least potential. If Borthwick selects him to start next week - and I suspect you are right - it will tell us more about the deficiencies of the coaching team than anything else.

With Bonilla the issue is different. He needs game time, but not in the first team. That’s a really tough one.
A bench spot may be waiting, with McPhilips to start. Who’d be a selector?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ross defensive was trurely outstanding.
Why in the world Cohen and Glynn didn't sign him when Cockers and Ross both wanted him to be at Tigers I will never know.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

So where do we go from last night?
Our starting front row was quite dominant in the scrums, so it was surprising the props were changed so early. Really hope we keep hold of De Bruin. Second row is a worry. Wells is inconsistent and I'm not sure what Green offers. Calling the lineouts isn't enough on its own! Lavanini with one of the young locks might be the way forward. Back row is well stocked, though I feel Brink needs to show more.
We need to give JVP his head, to find out where he's at in terms of being a starter. The ten shirt is starting to look like an issue. I'm guessing Bonilla wasn't involved because of the foreign player restrictions. With Kolpak and with Argentinians rumoured to have Italian passports, it would be good to know which of our players actually fall into that category. If Bonilla does start next week, who will that result in leaving out?
Perhaps the biggest discussion point, though, is the outside backs. During lockdown, we've signed Porter, Moroni, Nadolo, Potter, Murimurivalu, Van Wyk and Williams. All are known for their threat with ball in hand. Yet, we persist in kicking the ball for them to chase, rather than playing to their strengths, however good they may be in the air.
Surely the gameplan should reflect the strengths of the players! Am I wrong in thinking that the makeup of our squad lends itself to a strong set piece, with good ball carriers and breakdown operators, which should result in a plentiful supply of quick, front foot ball for our backs to utilise through a mixture of tactical kicking and ball in hand?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Next two weeks we will know for sure if progress is being made as we face two teams similar in stages of development as ourselves.
Yes, we will be without more players than Worcester or Quins but that’s always been the case.
As for Zac Henry ( and to be honest George Ford) I want Borthwick to give them licence to play what’s in front of them. Trouble is Eddie Jones and Borthwick are intent on insisting their fly halves kick more ball away than they pass!
I will always support Tigers but admit I enjoy watchingNewcastle, Bristol and Wasps far more!
Yes, some games you have to win “ugly” as Johno’s Tigers did but that team had Oz, Goode and Howard who played with a freedom that both Deano and Johno gave them.
Sale had a lot of players missing last night but, not surprisingly played as a team.
Those who have warp the Sale this season will also know they always step up in the second half, that’s why we needed a strong start to the second half. It didn’t happen.
Let’s hope we mix our game up v Worcester or we will lose again as Worcester has butchered many scoring chances this season and I doubt if they will continue to do that!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

We were the dominant team in the first 30 and the last 10. Problem was they got a breakaway try while we were dominant and in the ½ of the game Sale were the better team they spent 20min with a man advantage. So given that it was a tight game.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:16 am
In a game we only won because Faf de Klerk was kicking for the sticks.
Ever heard of confirmation bias?
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

We were well and truly in the game first half despite a soft pass against a very flat and rushing defence line. Pack leadership was non-existent in the second half, resulting in poor co-ordination and stupid errors/penalties. They looked like individuals in the second half. Because Wigglesworth was so slow Henry had little to work with, kicking it away was often his get out of jail card. All a bit disjointed at times.

Sort out the pack leaders and sharpen both half backs and we're back on the road again.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicester started well playing with lots of energy and had Sale under pressure and were looking fairly solid.
What was potentially looking like 15-0 quickly became 8-10 at half time, that's the game right there.
Sale had good numbers pressing and it was a proper Leicester mix up for the intercept.
It was a moment that required a better tactical decision, possibly a big call for some depth and either attack the outside edge ball in hand or a chip over or grubber kick and bundle the deeper Sale defender into touch.
It was possibly coming at some point and you have to give credit to Sale for working a way out as Leicester's attack was becoming a bit predictable.
It's probably something that'll take some time to come.