Tigers v Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Chiefs

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Just as a matter of interest have we ever won a home match with the walking whistle C Maxwell-Keys as Referee? This is a genuine question as I cannot recall. :smt017
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Dokie wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:46 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Even when we do get Wayne, the comments are often that he isn't up to his usual standard. Unless we win, of course. There is a bit too much sour grapes on here when it comes to referees, but I guess that's just a symptom of the bitter disappointment of no longer being the best team in the country.

How do Exeter manage it? The moment that stood out for me was when one of their players had to scramble back to collect the ball, he was all alone with 2/3 Tigers bearing down on him and looked a dead cert to be turned over. All of a sudden 4 Chiefs have arrived from nowhere, at pace and from exactly the right angle to clear out and secure possession. Tigers (and many other teams) would have 100% conceded a penalty or try in that situation. It's that supreme organisation and clarity in every player's head about where he needs to be and what he needs to do. Very impressive coaching and takes a lot of discipline from the players to implement so well and so consistently.
I was trying to be charitable and say there is 1 ref that we like, but you are right we have complained about Wayne so there are Non. Oh dear where are we going to find these 100% refs who make no mistakes and don't contribute to us loosing?
Agree the sniping on here is so pathetic at times. Barnes is clearly top of the pile, followed by Pearce and Carley. Never understood the hate of some for Pearce on here. Ridley, Dickson and Makepeace are at the next level, with Maxwell, Tempest and Foley needing to be replaced. Doyle leaving made no sense along with Maxwell being given the prem final.
Give Tempest his due today. He refereed really well. On that performance, move him up with Ridley etc. Just leaves two in the dross group!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Scrummaging - Boris would have been pulling his ( literal ) hair and teeth out.
So we are now having an emphasis on lineout as a platform. OOO RR.... :smt005
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:00 pm Scrummaging - Boris would have been pulling his ( literal ) hair and teeth out.
So we are now having an emphasis on lineout as a platform. OOO RR.... :smt005
Probably the biggest issue with the flight of personnel. If, as has been indicated, it was a considerable interpersonal issue (well GM spoke to SB for about a week after his arrival apparently, so bigger than that? :smt005 ), lucky that Boris is such an amiable chap. Our scrummaging was the only light in a dark time. I have Boris' Euro shirt (charity donation) so will wear it with amused resignation when we get back to WR sometime before this time next year.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:46 pm Just as a matter of interest have we ever won a home match with the walking whistle C Maxwell-Keys as Referee? This is a genuine question as I cannot recall. :smt017
Craig Maxwell Keys at Welford Road in the Premiership:

20th Nov 2016: 25-6 vs Harlequins
29th Apr 2017: 41-18 vs Sale Sharks
16th Sep 2017: 24-10 vs Gloucester
30th Sep 2018: 19-15 vs Sale Sharks
18th May 2019: 31-32 vs Bath
5th Dec 2020: 13-35 vs Exeter

So we've won 4 and lost 2, unless I've missed any. It might be that we would have won all six if we had a different referee, but I reckon we should probably admit that Exeter are a bit better than us and that maybe Bath won because a back 5 including Worth, Aspland-Robinson, Smith, Eastmond and Blommetjies probably isn't as good as one of McConnochie, Wright, Joseph, Cokanasiga and Watson. Oh, and bringing Priestland and Rokoduguni off the bench is probably more likely to get you that last gasp winner than Hardwick and Sarto. Bath finished the season 6th and we finished 11th. It was the last game of the season, we were safe in 11th and Bath were fighting for Champions Cup qualification. When you also consider that Tigers were given more penalties than Bath by CMK, the cries of "he robbed us" were probably a bit inaccurate.

If you look back on these forums, you will find that although mockery of and contempt for CMK has been pretty much constant throughout, he influenced the result in the Bath game but not in the previous matches. Funny, that. :smt017
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Irrespective of CMK , we were atrocious Vs Bath...
Woeful Lineout and mistake compounded by mistake.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So basically unless we play atrocious or we're playing the team head and shoulders above us we tend to win when CMK is Sir.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I see Townsend has been cited - I assume that is for that clearout at the ruck on Simmons? Anyone know for sure?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

"Exeter Chiefs player Stuart Townsend will appear before appear before an online independent disciplinary panel tomorrow evening.

The scrum-half was cited by independent citing commissioner Chris Sharp following the Gallagher Premiership match between Leicester Tigers and Exeter Chiefs on Saturday.

Townsend's citing was for dangerous play in a ruck or maul, contrary to World Rugby Law 9.20a.

The independent disciplinary panel hearing will be chaired by Daniel White with Matthew Weaver and Mitch Read"

Not sure about the incident in question but I still have the recording.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Pity it wasn’t picked up in the game. Oh of course it was the Chiefs and they have invisibility cloaks 😀
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Just because we have won games with CMK blowing the whistle when told doesn't stop him being a poor ref.
I will admit Barnes was shocking when he started, but that was more to do with the flow of the game than actual decisions.
One can only hope he gets better, not sure the other option is possible, but there is an example in Dickson where it is..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I'm sure there is a correlation to be found between result and critical/appreciative comment with regard to the referee - and not just confined to this board or 'our' Club :smt002
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Watched the whole game back last night as I wasn't able to on Saturday. I was actually largely impressed.

Line out seemed to work much better - and there was a great try from a line out.
Scrum was not too bad. Two very experienced front rows going at it for much of the game.
Thought Steward was excellent.
Apart from his brain fart thought Henry had a good game.
Actually though Wells had quite a good game.
Defended pretty well in general.

I thought Yendle's try was too easily given up but given our overall red zone defence you can't complain too much.
There was a couple of critical soft penalties.
Yes, we still didn't look overly creative.

Henry pops that ball inside to Wig and it's 20-21 late in the game against the Prem and Euro champions. Let's hope we can keep this going.

No idea why people are whinging about CMK. He wasn't pitch perfect but no cause for complaint in my book.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

ourla wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:29 pm Watched the whole game back last night as I wasn't able to on Saturday. I was actually largely impressed.

Line out seemed to work much better - and there was a great try from a line out.
Scrum was not too bad. Two very experienced front rows going at it for much of the game.
Thought Steward was excellent.
Apart from his brain fart thought Henry had a good game.
Actually though Wells had quite a good game.
Defended pretty well in general.

I thought Yendle's try was too easily given up but given our overall red zone defence you can't complain too much.
There was a couple of critical soft penalties.
Yes, we still didn't look overly creative.

Henry pops that ball inside to Wig and it's 20-21 late in the game against the Prem and Euro champions. Let's hope we can keep this going.

No idea why people are whinging about CMK. He wasn't pitch perfect but no cause for complaint in my book.
Did you spot the Townsend incident?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Noggs wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:40 pm Did you spot the Townsend incident?
No I didn't and the director/commentator didn't highlight anything either.

Stated on England Rugby as "This was for dangerous play in a ruck or maul" but maybe you already knew that.