London Irish Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish Away

Post by sam16111986 »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am Don't understand the criticism of Dickson. He gave us 7/8 penalties on the bounce. We just screwed up.
He should have given us several in the first half. The frustration is more that there is little consistency in his decisions and some of his breakdown penalties don't comply with the world rugby new interpretations. He gave several against and some for us where the hackler was in no way supporting their weight and trying to lift the ball. The two warnings about mounting penalties to LI in the second half was frustrating as well.
Fish8ter

Post by Fish8ter »

Yesterday was really disheartening, especially after the previous week. It was a game played by two very poor sides, who on that performance will both struggle this year. Our only potential saving is that we have some key players to comeback into our backline, as Steward aside, they were truly woeful and offered no viable threat. Kicking from hand was aimless and to miss touch from a penalty once was bad, three times an amateur team would hang there head in shame and prevented key attacking opportunities, as our catch and drive looked our best attacking option.

However, from the start our pack looked unbalanced with three really big units in the pack row, we really need a more dynamic seven in place and holdback one of the Saffer big units to come on with 25 to go. Bower did struggle and for me is way down the pecking order, however we don't yet seem to trust to play Leatigaga from the off.

Next week will be tough, but I feel with a better balance, Jordan at 7, Leatigaga from the off, we will have some grunt upfront to better compete with Exeter. All I ask from our backline is to be solid, reduce some of the aimless box kicking and make touch when given the opportunity.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Reducing aimless kicking would require a reversal of a minimum 5 year trend. I think our centres need a serious upgrade then perhaps they may see some ball.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think the most frustrating thing is yes both teams were poor, however we had a period in the second half when we should have gone on and won the game or at least secured a LBP. Yet we came away with nothing and hopefully lessons will be learnt.

Agreed the backrow looks unbalanced without playing an openside. Against Exeter want to see us be competitive for the full 80 minutes and target coming away with something, either LBP or 4 tries. Hopefully Wallace is back fit for some fresh legs and try Taufua at 8. I’d rest Wiese and Liebenberg and give them some time on the bench. Start Bonilla and see what he’s made of.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Maybe we should be called Leicester Lemmings; running over the cliff. A nightmare performance.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Was last week a false dawn?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 am Was last week a false dawn?
I certainly hope not!! :smt013
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 am
ourla wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am Don't understand the criticism of Dickson. He gave us 7/8 penalties on the bounce. We just screwed up.
He should have given us several in the first half. The frustration is more that there is little consistency in his decisions and some of his breakdown penalties don't comply with the world rugby new interpretations. He gave several against and some for us where the hackler was in no way supporting their weight and trying to lift the ball. The two warnings about mounting penalties to LI in the second half was frustrating as well.
Regardless of the what the ref did or didn't do, the Tigers were back to their woeful self - wayward in every sense. They allowed a mediocre LI side to dominate which they did because they had a 10 to organise their game.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

Re Bonilla - if he struggles to find touch why not let Steward take the penalties, something England do with Slade. Team and coaches need to start thinking and using what strengths we have.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

It was a very bad performance.

But, this wasn't going to fully change overnight. Brush ourselves down and go again.

Need more balance in the back row, for sure. Bower also looked out of his depth.

Bonilla was playing his first game in a long time, let's give him a chance. Henry has been very good until this game too. Neither were getting front foot ball to play with.

Also need to remember we essentially had 15 strangers out there, with little pre season and training restrictions that's going to result in some totally off key performances.

Terrible performance, terrible result but IMO it's to be expected.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TheTigerKing wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:08 pm It was a very bad performance.

But, this wasn't going to fully change overnight. Brush ourselves down and go again.

Need more balance in the back row, for sure. Bower also looked out of his depth.

Bonilla was playing his first game in a long time, let's give him a chance. Henry has been very good until this game too. Neither were getting front foot ball to play with.

Also need to remember we essentially had 15 strangers out there, with little pre season and training restrictions that's going to result in some totally off key performances.

Terrible performance, terrible result but IMO it's to be expected.
Same could be said for LI they are a new team and one of the teams we need to be beating if we are to stay up, but I do concede that it is early doors and we still have a lot of players to come back from international duty
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

How about a monetary penalty for players at Tigers for stupid penalties/ same penalty week in week out, until we get the message.
Give it to a deserving Charity.

I know in the heat of battle "muscle memory" takes over and we are overcome by desire.
Jackling on knees or not supporting weight has been in for two seasons and is punishable.
Making contact at line out punishable.

What are we doing in training which allows this muscle memory to continue. Its just dumb and not open to Ref interpretation.
Compound this with poor kicking, and, any front foot from set piece is lost.
Sorry - how many players were committed this week to the break down. Against those numbers last week?

If SB is serious about players only representing and wearing the shirt who deserve it then hard decisions are needed.
Likewise I see a third string team up against Chiefs, not to learn but to save blushes.
As you can guess IAM NOT A HAPPY FAN/SUPPORTER.
Individuals need to look inward because this is reminiscent of the past two-three seasons display with differing personnel
Second verse same as the first............
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I was confused by Dickson's handling of the game. Irish conceded 7 penalties in a row in a short period of time and he didn't give any warning.

He then waited until the 76th minute of the game (by which point Tigers were the ones on a run of conceding penalties) to warn Irish that the next one was going to the bin, after a fairly innocuous offside in our half.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not much to say really,poor all round and looking like there will be pressure on the Newcastle game now.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My biggest bug bear with Murphy was he didn't seem to learn from his mistakes.
Sometimes he would double down on them.

I guess we will see if Borthwick learns from his now.