London Irish Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish Away

Post by trendylfj »

For me, it is quite simple. The selected back row doesn't work - no true open side, They are all very very useful but as a 3 - not for me. Need Refell or Wallace to do the turnovers which are vital. Our centers are not creative as a pair and we really need to address this asap and hopefully, Moroni will go some way to addressing this. What worried me more was our lack of scrum dominance - are we really beginning to miss Boris????
Hehehehehehehehe
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:27 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:43 pm Hindsight is a wonderful thing but wish we’d started with Leatigaga instead of Bower and Barnes instead of Dickson
Would not Heyes have been on the right side of the scrum?

Oh...... And ........ Anyone instead of Dickinson...
Totally inept today....

But having taken the rise out of the Taffs yesterday about whingeing about Poite I couldn't possibly criticise Sir.... Could I?
Leatigaga can play either side
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Don’t blame the ref for poor tactics, poor selection of the back row (need complementary skills), poor kicking from hand (open play and penalties to touch).

Was impressed by Steward both the under high ball and kicking from hand. Why not use him like Scotland use Hogg (apart from that last kick against France) to kick to touch long AND accurately?

You rarely see any other team penalised 10m for backchat so which Tiger is doing it in what seems every game?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agreed Bonilla had a shocker, but he’s a good player and everyone is allowed an off day. Want to see him start against Exeter to see what he can do.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:42 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:27 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:43 pm Hindsight is a wonderful thing but wish we’d started with Leatigaga instead of Bower and Barnes instead of Dickson
Would not Heyes have been on the right side of the scrum?

Oh...... And ........ Anyone instead of Dickinson...
Totally inept today....

But having taken the rise out of the Taffs yesterday about whingeing about Poite I couldn't possibly criticise Sir.... Could I?
Leatigaga can play either side
Lucy chap! I never admitted to that.... But got caught out in the end. 😂😂
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:15 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:15 pm Oh dear. Murphy/O'Connor/Mauger/Cockers/Cohen must go. 😂
You leave Mauger out of it 😜
Why?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

publandlord wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:35 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:25 pm
publandlord wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:59 pm unfortunately neither did we look like scoring !! But you are correct a lot of the comments are over the top so early into the campaign.
I thought we looked in a good position before Bonilla threw that horror pass. All he had to do was send it back into the tight exchanges via a centre. Keep the big lumps piling in. LI were on the ropes at that point and getting on the wrong side of the ref. We had either a try or a penalty coming. Throwing a 30 metre speculative pass under pressure really wasn't the go to option.
As I said in an earlier post, ineffective big lumps and half backs. Still onwards to next week !!
Not ineffective but we've got to adapt the tactics. It's nice to see the variation in forward carry but any player carrying on their own will be targeted. Got to start having players ready to follow the runners and protect the ball or be there for the offload. That structure is what makes Chiefs so effective ball in hand. Always someone there to latch onto the forward ball carrier as well.

Half backs well. Scrum halfs were ok though a little kick heavy. Flyhalfs never got any level of control into the game.
Not a jock wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:47 pm Was impressed by Steward both the under high ball and kicking from hand. Why not use him like Scotland use Hogg (apart from that last kick against France) to kick to touch long AND accurately?
The question on all Tigers fans lips this evening. Wouldn't mind him having a crack at another ling range penalty as well. You land one of those early doors and then the opposition have it in their minds they can't take risks around halfway. Might help us get some more quick ball to attack with.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:59 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:55 pm Listening to Monye,
There's your mistake :smt002
Yep. He makes Lol look like our biggest fan. Can be pretty much guaranteed to highlight any por play by Tigers. And he was given lots of opportunities today :smt019
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:31 pm The moment Kobus van Pryk slapped the ball into touch, I knew it would not be our day. :smt013. Edit.... but we’re still in the top 6! Whoopeeeee!
Groin injury or not, he should be dropped for that moment of downright stupidity that put us on the back foot for all the first half, although we were lucky to only concédé 3 points while he was off the field. After last week’s win I think we were all optimistic for another win that would set us in good stead for Chiefs next week. Back to the drawing board!
Semper in excretia
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps the groin injury was a well deserved boot to the nuts from one of his team mates.

Back row lacked a snaffler.

Dumb penalties cost us.

Bower was undone by the opposition tight head.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

when do the Fijian boys come back?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:35 pm when do the Fijian boys come back?
Fiji play Georgia on 05 Dec so hopefully after that assuming more SI and COVID outbreaks
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Too many penalties gifted first half.
Irish got ahead and had something to defend which they did pretty well to be fair.
It got quite lateral towards the end from a Leicester perspective.
Refs are very hot on any line out contact currently.
I suspect the returns from scrums in the first half might've been different with Genge returned and Leatigaga and De Bruin both fully up to speed.
Early days.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We never threatened to score a try, big step backwards.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a "B" team next weekend.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:47 pm We never threatened to score a try, big step backwards.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a "B" team next weekend.
We never really sustained enough pressure due to the lack of basics today.
It's a new team and so very reliant on good basics.