Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: GP Round 1 thread

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:36 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 pm When I look at Saints I see Tigers when Mauger was in charge.

So not very good then :smt003
As Mauger was in charge for about 80mins difficult to tell surely.
As for Boyd, think maybe the Canes was more Plumtree?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Despite valiant efforts by Quins and Saints ultimately it was business as usual. Chiefs and Sharks will have good seasons. We need to be better than the likes of Quins and Saints as a starting point.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Are we still 6th? :smt048
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm
fentiger wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:07 pm So, I know they're good players but the BT Sport Simmons bros love-in does get on my nerves! :smt015
I agree, at the end of the day a hat-trick and a Number 8 gassing a winger is still good (don’t get me wrong) but it’s really irritating when they’re just being praised purely for putting pressure on Eddie Jones.
If only gassing a wing was the Number 8’s main job! It’s worth noting his 3rd try from short range was being pushed by two of his mates and against the Quins number 23 and Marcus Smith; hardly revelatory material!

I think in the first half we saw why EJ sticks with Farrell and Ford too. Just because you’re the 10 of a championship/Euro winning side doesn’t mean you have divine right to international honours; was it 2005 Andy Goode was eventually capped? :smt001
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 pm
fentiger wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:07 pm So, I know they're good players but the BT Sport Simmons bros love-in does get on my nerves! :smt015
I agree, at the end of the day a hat-trick and a Number 8 gassing a winger is still good (don’t get me wrong) but it’s really irritating when they’re just being praised purely for putting pressure on Eddie Jones.
If only gassing a wing was the Number 8’s main job! It’s worth noting his 3rd try from short range was being pushed by two of his mates and against the Quins number 23 and Marcus Smith; hardly revelatory material!

I think in the first half we saw why EJ sticks with Farrell and Ford too. Just because you’re the 10 of a championship/Euro winning side doesn’t mean you have divine right to international honours; was it 2005 Andy Goode was eventually capped? :smt001
No one has the divine right but why is he behind Malins and Umaga?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:44 pm

No one has the divine right but why is he behind Malins and Umaga?
Malins and Umaga have more creative talent. Simmonds is a very good player, very accurate, very reliable, very consistent. But we already have Ford and Farrell for at least a few more years, so what does Simmonds add to that? Umaga and Malins have the potential to give England something they don't already have, that's the appeal. I think if Ford and Farrell were both unavailable, you might suddenly see Simmonds leapfrog the others into the starting jersey.

Back on topic, worrying times for Quins, I thought they looked very underwhelming. At least Saints made a game of it and finished with a respectable scoreline away to a very good side.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yeah true, but Simmonds does have that Neil Back quality about him of always being in the right place at the right time though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I remember Simmonds v Ireland and Wales. Not an international BR for me,too late to make him into a 12 too. Suits Chiefs game plan well though.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Bath 7-0 Newcastle
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

I thought Bath would beat Newcastle by a lot and at the moment looks like the Bath players thought the same. Going for too many 50-50 offloads, still expect them to pull away in last 20.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

7-5
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Caterpillar needs to be banned QUICK!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Newcastle winning 12-7
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Looked like Bath were going to run away with it early on, but Newcastle have been impressive. Gary Graham is having a huge game and the team looks organised and well drilled. They have a decent mix of experience and youth and there are promising signs that they at least won't go back down without a fight.

Bath youngsters have been really poor, Redpath had one moment of brilliance but while you can see his obvious talent he appears to be either incredibly naive or incredibly cocky, depending on your interpretation, and he needs to grow up if he's going to get anywhere. I'm not sure why De Glanville is so highly rated, very average today. Cokanasiga can't seem to work out how to use his abilities effectively. The only exception is Mercer who has been his usual excellent self, that guy has so much energy and such surprising power.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mercer rumoured to be leaving Bath.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni