Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:14 pm Worcester have announced the signing Duhan van der Merwe, another blow to the Scottish rugby clubs but for me a panicky statement signing from Warriors that could backfire on them.
I wonder if there’s big of influence from McGinity; a few players he brought to Scotland beginning to leave for the Prem (and Wuss, his old club)?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

More like Worcester are making him one of the highest paid wingers in the league.
Actually might be pretty much the highest depending on what position you think Radradra plays.

It will happen to all the players who join a scottish club to become a scottish international once they get capped they will look to earn their £.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:02 pm More like Worcester are making him one of the highest paid wingers in the league.
Actually might be pretty much the highest depending on what position you think Radradra plays.

It will happen to all the players who join a scottish club to become a scottish international once they get capped they will look to earn their £.
Exactly this. If you're a Saffa/Kiwi/Aussie who can't get capped down under:

Move to Scotland.
Become "Scottish".
Get international recognition.
Move somewhere else for more money.

Similar story with Wales and Ireland too, although the latter can pay enough to keep them there. Even England to a lesser degree too. Hopefully the 5 year residency rule will eliminate a lot of this. If you're lucky and have some British ancestry it's a much quicker process.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:02 pm More like Worcester are making him one of the highest paid wingers in the league.

The move first speculated by Neil Fissler a couple of weeks or so back in 'The Rugby Paper' , he put the salary as an estimated £300,000 per season.
Worth coming south for...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Jon Welsh back to Falcons short term :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55530297
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

John Mulvihill head coach of Cardiff Blues has left with immediate effect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55537214
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:45 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:14 pm Worcester have announced the signing Duhan van der Merwe, another blow to the Scottish rugby clubs but for me a panicky statement signing from Warriors that could backfire on them.
If they loose Weir and Hougaard without adequate replacements they are really gonna struggle, they were talking on Rugby Tonight about too many teams have too much cap space taken up by luxury wingers and this strikes me as another case of that
Yes the rumours are Hougaard to Japan and Weir back to Glasgow, correct?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:35 am
kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:45 pm
If they loose Weir and Hougaard without adequate replacements they are really gonna struggle, they were talking on Rugby Tonight about too many teams have too much cap space taken up by luxury wingers and this strikes me as another case of that
Yes the rumours are Hougaard to Japan and Weir back to Glasgow, correct?
Weir to Glasgow sounds like it's done.

Hougaard might stay I think but is rumoured to Japan. He will be the first marquee at Worcesteer with Duhan the second so salary cap wise Solomons could afford to offer him good money, presumably the funds are there for that if Duhan has fetched £300k pa.

Worcester are a different side when Hougaard plays. Arguably there isn't a single player more important to their teams performance in the Premiership. Ford is probably a close second there but Henry will hopefully nullify that a bit more.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Andrew Davidson to Gloucester from Edinburgh :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55545405
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Edinburgh seem to be losing a few, can we speculate about how this might affect De Bruin signing for them after this season....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Worcester add to their coaching staff :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ex-wales ... worcester/
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

ads wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:36 pm Edinburgh seem to be losing a few, can we speculate about how this might affect De Bruin signing for them after this season....
Davidson didn't settle there sadly and they have 6 other locks in contract with Ferreira's short term deal possibly getting extended.

Edinburgh have Berghan and Nel both coming out of contract so I'd guess one might be off with de Bruin replacing them. My prediction would be Berghan.

The big issue for Edinburgh is having Jaco van der Walt, Jamie Ritchie, Hamish Watson and Billy Mata out of contract still. If Taufua goes then I'd take Ritchie or Watson in a heartbeat.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I’d take Ritchie - he’d be my starting 6 for the lions if they tour

Doubt we’d be able to afford him though
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:03 am I’d take Ritchie - he’d be my starting 6 for the lions if they tour

Doubt we’d be able to afford him though
If Taufua goes there will be a marquee spot free.

Hamish Watson has re-signed for Edinburgh. Excellent work from Cockers to get that over the line.