Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Redstripeman

Re: Geordan Murphy

Post by Redstripeman »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:41 pm Murphy had a Stella playing career with Ireland and Tigers but was way out of his depth as a coach and DOR, sad to to see anyone lose their job but the board should have made this decision a couple of years ago.
It’s good to see that we a now recruiting coaches etc outside of the so called Tigers family, we should have done it years ago.
..let's not get carried away here, it was the Board that got us in to this mess!!!
Am I sorry that he has left the club, yes....but not sorry that he has vacated positions he was just not suited for.
Borthwick is now in charge, but the Board still makes decisions and they do not have a good track record recently.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Post by Crivvens »

I'd like to place on record (for what it's worth) my gratitude to Geordan for all the good he's done for this club, mainly as a player but also steadying the ship when thrown in at the deep end as a coach. I'm certain we'd have shipped a lot more players than we have had it not been for him. A lot of what has gone on off the pitch over the last few years has been thrown at him but in reality I suspect only a small portion is down to him.

His loyalty as a player when he could easily have gone back home to play must not be forgotten, and I'm always going to remember him as an exceptional player and a brilliant man.

Thank you Geordie.
Blimey...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Firstly, and most importantly, MASSIVE thank you to Geordan Murphy for his service to the club. A genuine legend as a player and has done a very difficult job for the last few years.

Agree with most of what has been said above. If Borthwick was Peter Tom's appointment and one he will live or die by, then I suspect he is backing his man 100% - if Stanko doesn't like it he can leave, if Taylor doesn't like it he can leave... etc. It was probably felt that GM was slowing or blocking progress under Borthwick. Maybe that's what Borthwick told Tom, maybe that's what Tom decided himself. The point is, we've put all our eggs in Mr Borthwick's basket... and that's probably the right call.

Really, we've got what most of us wanted - out with the Tigers old boys, in with the likes of Borthwick and Wigglesworth who are proven winners. We may struggle short term due to all the change (my first thought on hearing the news was "why are we doing this so close to the start of a season again?!"), but I wouldn't be surprised to see quicker improvement under Borthwick than would otherwise have been the case.

So... thanks again to Geordan, a true Tigers legend and I will be the first in the queue to buy him a beer if I ever bump into him. Now bring on the new world under Borthwick. :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:25 pm Firstly, and most importantly, MASSIVE thank you to Geordan Murphy for his service to the club. A genuine legend as a player and has done a very difficult job for the last few years.

Agree with most of what has been said above. If Borthwick was Peter Tom's appointment and one he will live or die by, then I suspect he is backing his man 100% - if Stanko doesn't like it he can leave, if Taylor doesn't like it he can leave... etc. It was probably felt that GM was slowing or blocking progress under Borthwick. Maybe that's what Borthwick told Tom, maybe that's what Tom decided himself. The point is, we've put all our eggs in Mr Borthwick's basket... and that's probably the right call.

Really, we've got what most of us wanted - out with the Tigers old boys, in with the likes of Borthwick and Wigglesworth who are proven winners. We may struggle short term due to all the change (my first thought on hearing the news was "why are we doing this so close to the start of a season again?!"), but I wouldn't be surprised to see quicker improvement under Borthwick than would otherwise have been the case.

So... thanks again to Geordan, a true Tigers legend and I will be the first in the queue to buy him a beer if I ever bump into him. Now bring on the new world under Borthwick. :smt023
Excellent post!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I just want to remember Geordan for what he was really good at, he was a great player thank you Geordan for that and the very best wishes for the future. Forget the other things, remember him as a great player.

I have to say I am very concerned at what is happening at our fine club, lets hope its for the better but I do have serious concerns, especially financial worries at this trying time, can the club survive? The outward signs do not leave one with too much optimism? :smt017
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I'm flabbergasted at this news! Another day, another departure!
If you have listened to Peter Tom and Geordan together in the LTTV interviews and hear how supportive Tom has been with the direction Smurph has been taking the Club, then it just doesn't stack up. Either that, or Tom is totally two-faced.
Add to that the timing of this - why now? Why not at the end of last season?

Most of the current squad have either 'grown up' with Smurph at the Club, or have been brought here by him. What must they be thinking now, especially those away with the international teams?

Tigers must look to everyone in the rugby world like a complete joke. How do they expect to attract quality coaches and players while the Club seems to be in utter turmoil?

So who next to leave?
Ben Kay?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

To me it looks like Murphy was told that his contract would not be renewed when it ends in 2021 and Murphy and the Club have agreed to part ways.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

MurphysLaw wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:44 pm I'm flabbergasted at this news! Another day, another departure!
If you have listened to Peter Tom and Geordan together in the LTTV interviews and hear how supportive Tom has been with the direction Smurph has been taking the Club, then it just doesn't stack up. Either that, or Tom is totally two-faced.

Most of the current squad have either 'grown up' with Smurph at the Club, or have been brought here by him. What must they be thinking now, especially those away with the international teams?

Tigers must look to everyone in the rugby world like a complete joke. How do they expect to attract quality coaches and players while the Club seems to be in utter turmoil?

So who next to leave?
Ben Kay?
...and that - right there - is the most pressing rugby problem we have right now. We have a new and thoroughly deserved reputation for bringing people in, chewing them up and spitting them out - players and coaches. Against this we need quality coaches - scrum and attack immediately - who can thrive in the intensity of our Head Coach. It will not be a long list, I fear.

A professional leader recognises that being a good employer with a reputation for a strong, values driven approach to its people and stakeholders lives quite happily alongside a determined, focused plan for success. We should find such a leader.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Gutted! I am beyond words - one week before the new season starts!! At least let him have had the chance to finish his contract and let him go at the end of the season. How the hell are we ever going to climb the table with all the changes going on. This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Understand that we haven't had results but FGS let's see how the Borthwick, Murphy combination was going to work before Christmas! :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:09 pm Gutted! I am beyond words - one week before the new season starts!! At least let him have had the chance to finish his contract and let him go at the end of the season. How the hell are we ever going to climb the table with all the changes going on. This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Understand that we haven't had results but FGS let's see how the Borthwick, Murphy combination was going to work before Christmas! :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
Tigers say the decision to part company was taken mutually after the 42-year-old was told his contract, which expired in 2021, would not be renewed.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:02 pm
MurphysLaw wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:44 pm I'm flabbergasted at this news! Another day, another departure!

So who next to leave?
Ben Kay?
...and that - right there - is the most pressing rugby problem we have right now. We have a new and thoroughly deserved reputation for bringing people in, chewing them up and spitting them out - players and coaches. Against this we need quality coaches - scrum and attack immediately - who can thrive in the intensity of our Head Coach. It will not be a long list, I fear.

A professional leader recognises that being a good employer with a reputation for a strong, values driven approach to its people and stakeholders lives quite happily alongside a determined, focused plan for success. We should find such a leader.
That is a very real danger.

On the other hand, most of the other coaches in professional rugby will have been looking at Murphy recently and asking how he hadn't already been sacked. All this tells them, if we're being brutally honest, is that after a couple of years of failure Tigers will eventually sack you. What it might also tell people is that we are no longer a club who always sides with the Old Boys, that disregards ideas from outside and people who aren't part of the Tigers clique, that we're now open to the very best coming here and helping us be better. A meritocracy at last, no longer an old boys club.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:12 pm

So who next to leave?
Ben Kay?

On the other hand, most of the other coaches in professional rugby will have been looking at Murphy recently and asking how he hadn't already been sacked. All this tells them, if we're being brutally honest, is that after a couple of years of failure Tigers will eventually sack you. What it might also tell people is that we are no longer a club who always sides with the Old Boys, that disregards ideas from outside and people who aren't part of the Tigers clique, that we're now open to the very best coming here and helping us be better. A meritocracy at last, no longer an old boys club.
Yes but, sadly, we'll find it much harder to recruit the best when we have a well-earned reputation for treating people very shabbily - even those who do need to go.

As to the Murphy / Borthwick dynamic, we didn't need to "give it to Christmas" - it's not worked from the off.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Billb »

My last post has strangely disappeared. I put forward the view that it’s about time for a clear out at the top of the board and a introduction of someone who will put a lot of money into the club, not hotels.
Why have Boris, Rory, and now Geordan been shown the door. What is the background to all these departures when we were given the story that there was a ‘vision’ for the new season. That vision was supposed to have been developed by Geordan. Is there a new’vision’ and if so , what is it.
BillB
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I wait to be convinced by the HC...we are Leicester Tigers not Sarries, I don't want to be a version of them.
Klopp was an outsider into Liverpool FC but from the get go, understood the team & the city & engaged with people, that's what we are needing maybe at Tigers, the difference is Klopp was already an experienced coach, our head coach isn't particularly, if Dossers lad goes then that will be telling.
Bet Bondi has got a sweat on.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:17 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Yes but, sadly, we'll find it much harder to recruit the best when we have a well-earned reputation for treating people very shabbily - even those who do need to go.

As to the Murphy / Borthwick dynamic, we didn't need to "give it to Christmas" - it's not worked from the off.
Possibly, you obviously have more inside knowledge than I, so I can't comment on how people have been treated. I am surprised you say that Murphy/Borthwick didn't work from the start, because 2 months ago (after they had worked together for 2 months) you told me very in no uncertain terms that Borthwick only wanted to be here if he got to work for GM.