Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Post by RagingBull »

Murphy wouldn't still be here in all reality, from the sounds of it that's what Tigers wanted too do.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Have a good look at Leicester City,how long did Ranieri last after winning the Premiership and how many of those players are still with City? Professional soccer is a tough hard nosed business and rugby is following suit.
I agree that probably one of the roles of D.O.R is to identify and procure players required by the coaching team, we had recruited Jan McGinity to do just that, could I suggest that his track record in that department is probably better than Geordans and he may be on a lower wage.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

BrightonTiger wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:38 pm Sorry but I find all this Tigers should hang their heads in shame, a bit over the top.

Large portions of the population are struggling to keep their heads above water, many on zero hour contracts with no guarantee of income week to week. Record numbers of families are relying on food banks so their children don't go to bed hungry.

....and a very well paid ex sportsman quits his job a year early, because he didn't get what he feels he deserves and we're all supposed to feel sorry for him!
It is the board who are shaming Tigers, the loss of Murphy is just the latest in a very long line of shambolic episodes going back years, each one is a self inflicted disaster, how GM got the job as head coach was a mystery to most of us, his promotion to DOR unfathomable but GM himself is an honest hard working guy who should never have been put into that position.
So another Tiger legend finds himself leaving with bitter taste, the list of Tigers legends who would not wee on certain board members even if they were on fire is getting very long!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Redstripeman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:25 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:18 pm Personally I feel the goodwill of the club is what has been helping drag us down. Clubs are not successful on good will.
I feel that whoever is in will have too break it regardless.

In all reality say we had a different Chairman/Owner.
Do you honestly think they would have kept Murphy in his position? and

My big concern is does Tom really have a clue anymore? I'm sure he helps the club out with the money.
But the worst things for clubs IMO is when the Owners/Chairmen who have not really been that involved in the modern game starts to get involved too much in decisions.
...I would have loved King Power to have taken over the club!!
Murphy would still be here, in either an ambassadorial role or used in an administrative role like LCFC uses in the form of John Rudkin, where a "Director of" is not involved in any aspect of the team, except to liaise and procure certain players on a list agreed by the scouting network and the actual Head Coach and oversee the implementation
and facilitation of a style of play, throughout the age ranges.
There is a problem within Rugby, in as much as the duties of a DOR are subject to different interpretations and it needs to come in line with the LCFC model, so we have clear lines, into how a structure is to work, rather than the varied interpretations carried out, by individual clubs within the Rugby universe.
As for Tom, he is more than culpable for this debacle and as I have said before, Murphy put himself in this situation and left himself out on a limb, agreeing to a one year contract as DOR....crazy!!!
I see what you you say and agree with a lot of it, but I hardly think he would want an ambassadorial role. I don’t believe there’s ‘a problem on rugby’ in as much as many other clubs are managing just fine. What we don’t know and are continuing to speculate about is just why this much heralded DoR role was created in the first place if the board were not going to continue with it past a single year. Maybe it was just out of blind loyalty (that many on here accuse the club of never showing these days) that these roles were offered. Maybe the continuing cutbacks highlighted that the role is a luxury and not a necessity. We just don’t know and might never know.

I feel for Geordy, I really do. Unfortunately, having been promoted from skills coach to backs coach to head coach to DoR there really isn’t anywhere else for him to go.

What I truly crave and have done for years now is just a period of stability. It seems we have yet to get that.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

....and come on, much as a lot of us really love they guy, does anyone really believe we saw an improvement in backs play or team tactics under his regime? And before someone says he didn’t really have time, just look at what Lee Blackett has achieved in a comparatively short time at Wasps.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:54 pm Have a good look at Leicester City,how long did Ranieri last after winning the Premiership and how many of those players are still with City? Professional soccer is a tough hard nosed business and rugby is following suit.
I agree that probably one of the roles of D.O.R is to identify and procure players required by the coaching team, we had recruited Jan McGinity to do just that, could I suggest that his track record in that department is probably better than Geordans and he may be on a lower wage.
Ranieri was sacked because the club were on course to be relegated. Title winners that still play a key role at Leicester City are Jamie Vardy and Kasper Schmeichel however Wes Morgan, Christian Fuchs, Marc Albrighton and Demarai Gray are all still at the club, Robert Huth retired due to injury, some simply aged out as it was a fairly old squad that won the league, some moved on for bigger money elsewhere, in at least one case however it has ruined his career and some were sold as better players were brought in, it was 5 years ago (by the end of the current season) so not totally surprising many have left.

Gray, Fuchs and Morgan all have contracts expiring at the end of the current season, Gray will leave, Fuchs may stay and it seems Morgan will retire and take up a directorial position within the club.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If say Murphy was more lucky (because I’m yet to be convinced as to how much Wasps’ upturn is of Blackett’s making), I don’t think we would have been in the relegation zone in 18/19 but we wouldn’t have made it to the Final, like our auld enemy did this year.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Blackett was helped by injuries calming down & benching Sopanga (really not sure what's going on there, he was ridiculously good in NZ)
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The Times devoted a whole quarter page or thereabouts on a day of international rugby to Tigers and "another failed experiment".
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:36 pm The Times devoted a whole quarter page or thereabouts on a day of international rugby to Tigers and "another failed experiment".
I only read 1 paper, not the Times, so I had thought that the papers were not making too much about Murphy leaving! I'm sure most of the media knew of his failings and therefore they were expecting it to happen, sooner or later? Are we on here making too much of something which so many posters have been saying that he was not good enough at any of his managerial positions and basically hinting that we should not keep him?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I was just pointing out that in certain quarters we don't appear to be doing our reputation much good.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:17 pm I was just pointing out that in certain quarters we don't appear to be doing our reputation much good.
Like I said I only read one paper, has there been much coverage in any of the media, I dont know?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The media has never really liked Tigers: Deano and Cockerill often said, “ No one really likes us but we just get on with what we do, which mostly is win!”
It wasn’t long ago that the media had frequently said how Geordan and the team were toothless. Greenwood, Healey, Goode and Kay have regularly been very negative about the way we play and are coached.
Time to move on. Murphy has gone( great player, not so good at coaching or promoting confidence in the younger players), past glories have gone so what better time to rebuild once we get over the closure of training ground!
Good luck Steve and those left standing to play.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don’t think many are blaming Murphy for the mess: it was the tail end of a series of woeful appointments that have seen Tigers in real trouble.

If they had not converted his caretaker role into permanent in (spite of no meaningful improvement) this embarrassing tale would not have happened. It’s not his fault he simply wasn’t ready to be head coach at this level (and still isn’t)

We should have appointed a head coach/DOR for the start of last season. The board have to take responsibility for that.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tom Varndell:
He took over from Matty O'Connor and it was probably too early for him. I don't think Geordie will mind me saying this, but he hadn't been exposed to that. He is such a nice guy, he was a funny guy to play with, a great person to have around.

But when you become DOR, you automatically become the :censored:, because you're the one who has got to tell boys they are not playing. No player ever wants to be told they're not playing, every player thinks they should be the starting player. Geordie couldn't be everyone's friend, and that's a tough ask.

Because when you are a likeable guy then suddenly you've got to make that switch and demand the respect of the players, when you've been a player, or an assistant coach, or a skills coach. It's a tough one, it was unfair for Geordie to be thrown into that, in not only in a team that is under-performing at the time, but with very little experience to do that."
FWIW he also said:
He's an unbelievable skills coach, an unbelievable backs coach
Quoted from the Merc. I am not sure he is an unbelievable coach but I think that's where I see him. But the too nice to DoR rings true to me.