Sarries and Ealing to be promoted

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Sarries and Ealing to be promoted

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Sarries getting a free promotion is unsavoury, but the prospect of Ealing being able to purchase their place in the Premiership is rotten.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:46 am Sarries getting a free promotion is unsavoury, but the prospect of Ealing being able to purchase their place in the Premiership is rotten.
We'll all have to get over it, it's not about the fans any more, nor 'rugby values', but £££.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:46 am Sarries getting a free promotion is unsavoury, but the prospect of Ealing being able to purchase their place in the Premiership is rotten.
How do you think every other club got there?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

If the punishment for Saracens is to be demoted and barred from playing in the Premiership for a season and the 2020/21 season is cancelled, then they should spend the 21/22 season in the Championship.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm with you Old Hob.

However we all know money talks and Sarries will be back up for the 21/22 season.

As for Ealing getting promoted? If they win promotion on the pitch then so be it assuming the ground passes the minimum legal requirements.

By legal requirements I mean those required by the Govt and local authorities. I don't like the idea of sides being denied promotion because they don't meet the Premiership's requirements, when existing premiership sides are allowed to continue with grounds that don't comply. (These are fewer than in the early days).

As for sides "buying" promotion we have to accept that the gulf between the top two divisions is substantial and unless well backed promoted sides are doomed to failure.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Much as I hate it, I would much rather have a league of 14 than 13. Money is going to be so important to all clubs assuming, which I do, that fans will not be back before January at the earliest. We have to find a way through this and TV and sponsors will be the only thing which keeps the game going unless "Owners" cough up a lot of money. Let's just hope that the regulator does the job better than before and protects the non-cheating clubs.
Hehehehehehehehe
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Question .A season down. No games plyed. With most of the squad in tact. Are they still in breach?

If they are to be promoted without playing a game on what premise are they given the nod over say Cornish Pirates
(Exeter academy)
Are we to assume that their accounts will be scrutinised or are we looking at a FIFA type dodgy deal.

And then where's the punishment? Oh I forgot Igmonie? Plus time off for good behaviour.
Something smells a bit ORF
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Frankly, it's ridiculous to think the Sarries wouldn't win promotion back to the premiership at the first attempt without even breaking a sweat. A season with no revenue or sponsor exposure is worse than the punishment they were going to get. I have no issue if they come back in for the 2021/22 season. I'm unconvinced by the Ealing argument but 14 teams will be a help.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I guess if that does come to fruition then the Tigers will avoid the drop again next season too?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Rugby turned professional in 96/97 and since then Falcons, L.Irish, Bristol, Worcester, L.Welsh, Exeter, Leeds, Saints, Quins and Rotherham all earned promotion through either a play-off or winning the league.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:58 pm A season with no revenue or sponsor exposure is worse than the punishment they were going to get.
But this is the punishment all premiership teams are receiving.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:58 pm Frankly, it's ridiculous to think the Sarries wouldn't win promotion back to the premiership at the first attempt without even breaking a sweat.
That said, Ealing invested heavily in their squad this summer to mount a better challenge this season.

Let’s face it, you need someone’s money to burn to operate a Premiership team.

At the moment, those teams *were* the 13 PRL teams and Ealing. Whether you like Ealing’s model or not (I’ve been very critical of them and both their fans in the past), they are the ones in a position to be viable in the Prem.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It is an interesting thought - how can any side be promoted if no games take place? No side in the league can be higher or lower than the other unless alphabetical order is a criteria.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:20 pm It is an interesting thought - how can any side be promoted if no games take place? No side in the league can be higher or lower than the other unless alphabetical order is a criteria.
I think the difference comes with the Prem being the PRL product and the Championship being the RFU, as opposed to the French model of Top14/ProD2. Essentially the former can invite whoever they like into their league.

And in extremis they’d just use 19/20 positions.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:42 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Rugby turned professional in 96/97 and since then Falcons, L.Irish, Bristol, Worcester, L.Welsh, Exeter, Leeds, Saints, Quins and Rotherham all earned promotion through either a play-off or winning the league.
They earned promotion by paying higher salaries and therefore having better squads.