thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Autumn Nations Cup

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:56 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:36 pm
thebearisstilldeano wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Hear, hear. The last thing we need is more aimless kicking of the ball away which (IMHO) is Farrell's go to tactic.
I think you’ll find that’s England’s go to tactic. If you listened as half time the pundits stated the clear tactic was not to play in their own half and kick the ball back to them and force a mistake. And most of that kicking was by George Ford and Elliot Daly.
The kick placing isn't random or aimless either. They kick down the centre to try and bring the back three towards the middle of the pitch and then when they take the return kick they kick to the corner. Apply the pressure on the kick to the corner and look to get a poor kick return providing the territory to start attacking from. Entertaining no but mindless certainly not.

Farrell was shocking throughout. A waste of space and well below the expected level. Ford was the source of all our attacking play, just imagine if he'd had a strike runner in the backline.
My apologies for referring to the kicking as aimless.

( Does anyone know what to call a tactic that is clearly not working but is persisted with none the less? Asking for a friend?)
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Haha just read what Hartley said,elite trolling! Said tier 2 teams like Georgia,Romania and Wales will benefit playing tournaments like this. Did anyone catch it live? 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:36 pm Haha just read what Hartley said,elite trolling! Said tier 2 teams like Georgia,Romania and Wales will benefit playing tournaments like this. Did anyone catch it live? 😂
Yes, and it was definitely tongue in cheek, and fully intended as humour/banter.

He clarified he was joking and meant no offence (bit sad he has to do that as it was quite obviously a joke) but that won't stop the morality police from castigating him for having an English superiority complex.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I can’t wait for WOL upcoming rebuttal 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:16 pm Billy player of the tournament,outstanding at times. Excellent cameos by Earl puts the Simmonds nonsense to bed once and for all! Pack is there or there abouts. 9,10,12,13 needs completely ripping up and starting again,one of F or F,not both and certainly not with Slade outside them. Nothing to worry about from the wingers but Daly needs to be binned,play him as a winger or on the bench as the utility player. Is it too early for Steward? Game plan is shocking too,very good when it’s against phase play teams like against Ireland but aimlessly kicking to teams with a bit about them is asking for trouble. Feel desperately sorry for France but another trophy for us. Thoughts?
:smt023 the backs need a complete re-think, seem lost without Manu but probably won’t see him again in an England shirt!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:46 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:16 pm Billy player of the tournament,outstanding at times. Excellent cameos by Earl puts the Simmonds nonsense to bed once and for all! Pack is there or there abouts. 9,10,12,13 needs completely ripping up and starting again,one of F or F,not both and certainly not with Slade outside them. Nothing to worry about from the wingers but Daly needs to be binned,play him as a winger or on the bench as the utility player. Is it too early for Steward? Game plan is shocking too,very good when it’s against phase play teams like against Ireland but aimlessly kicking to teams with a bit about them is asking for trouble. Feel desperately sorry for France but another trophy for us. Thoughts?
:smt023 the backs need a complete re-think, seem lost without Manu but probably won’t see him again in an England shirt!
I would suggest tactics as well as personnel, but for me I would have May and Jack Nowell on the wings and Anthony Watson at full back, combined with a more attacking mindset. And like others I too have doubts about Slade as well.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:36 pm Haha just read what Hartley said,elite trolling! Said tier 2 teams like Georgia,Romania and Wales will benefit playing tournaments like this. Did anyone catch it live? 😂
Missed that but good lad.. :smt005
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:44 pm I can’t wait for WOL upcoming rebuttal 😂
WOL??
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:40 pm
WOL??
Sorry,Wales Online. It’s a horrible habit I have 👍
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:45 pm
WOL??
Agreed, reading Wales Online is a horrible habit :smt002 :smt002 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:08 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:45 pm
WOL??
Agreed, reading Wales Online is a horrible habit :smt002 :smt002 :smt023
On the ball today mate 😂
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Don't recall 36 having a bad game for England nor was he sublime.

So i don't think the Slade comparison is fair.
Yet to see Slade having a sublime game at international level.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I didn't say I want Farrell at Tigers, just that EJ might want it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:09 pm Don't recall 36 having a bad game for England nor was he sublime.

So i don't think the Slade comparison is fair.
Yet to see Slade having a sublime game at international level.
I don’t mean the game as a whole,I meant that at international and club level they will both do something incredible and incredibly bad in the same game. Lots of fans I’ve spoken too have agreed. In fact a saying between us when another player has a mixed game is “he/it had a touch of the 36 about him/it.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

In many way agreeing. Both are quality at club level but unable to translate that into the international arena where there is less time to think and space to run or kick into.

The same applies to Danny Care and Danny Cipriani. Am beginning to think that might be said of Launchbury too.