Formerly of this parish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Formerly of this parish

Post by RagingBull »

I think peoples idea of player age and development has massively skewed recently.

He’s 22 and already you are writing him off as just a steady prem squad potential man max, would I have him over Chessum or Henderson of course not but wasn’t what I said either.

And senior academy doesn’t mean anything outside wage on the whole
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:46 am I think peoples idea of player age and development has massively skewed recently.

He’s 22 and already you are writing him off as just a steady prem squad potential man max, would I have him over Chessum or Henderson of course not but wasn’t what I said either.

If I remember rightly he was let go at the same time as Chessum and Henderson were brought in. Harsh maybe because I like Cam Jordan in his few appearances for us but the club seem to be vindicated in their choice.

Jordan could well kick on and become more than a Prem squad man, Wells did when Borthwick came in and it's hard to see that far in advance but the budget only covers so many players wages. I'd also point out that good squad players often make the difference between mid table and top four so that wasn't a slight.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Jordan Taufua to make his Samoa debut this weekend
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:46 am I think peoples idea of player age and development has massively skewed recently.

Happened ages ago, I remember people absolutely losing their minds over Andy Forsyth not getting game time, when he'd played more than Matt Smith or Dan Hipkiss at the same age. That would have been 2012. Did his move to Sale "to be first choice" or whatever the spin was at the time, really work out for anyone? You can really see why coaches are keen to dampen expectation, people lose their heads over 20-22 year olds all the time.

Cam Jordan is developing nicely, with hindsight he would have been a better choice than Manz to keep on, but then Jordan could have got the injuries & Manz been spurred on by the rejection & developed more.

I'd certainly be keeping a dialogue with Jordan as a possible signing to replace Wells or Green in 2-3 years time if he continues to develop as he is doing, and assuming Manz doesn't develop in the mean time.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sk 88 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:22 pm

Happened ages ago, I remember people absolutely losing their minds over Andy Forsyth not getting game time, when he'd played more than Matt Smith or Dan Hipkiss at the same age. That would have been 2012. Did his move to Sale "to be first choice" or whatever the spin was at the time, really work out for anyone? You can really see why coaches are keen to dampen expectation, people lose their heads over 20-22 year olds all the time.

Cam Jordan is developing nicely, with hindsight he would have been a better choice than Manz to keep on, but then Jordan could have got the injuries & Manz been spurred on by the rejection & developed more.

I'd certainly be keeping a dialogue with Jordan as a possible signing to replace Wells or Green in 2-3 years time if he continues to develop as he is doing, and assuming Manz doesn't develop in the mean time.
In three years Wells will be all of 31. Chessum and Henderson will be mid twenties, Chessum Jnr and Carnduff early twenties. Unless the last two don't progress how we hope or we lose somebody that's us fairly well stocked. Snyman would also be late 20s if we needed another body.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Yes, and Green will be 34, and players retire at all sorts of ages, and who knows what might have happened in the mean time. It was a single example not an exhaustive one. The alternative to keeping in dialogue is completely ignoring, which is fine if some bridge was burned, but assuming not keeping options open is always a decent long term strategy.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Matt Toomua is leaving Australia, not sure his next destination is known yet
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:49 pm Matt Toomua is leaving Australia, not sure his next destination is known yet
I'd suspect Japan rather than Europe. Unless he's linking up with Mauger in Super Rugby
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Brendon O'Connor named MLR Forward of the Year

https://www.majorleague.rugby/news/bren ... -the-year/
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Bad news for Stade Français. Telusa Veianu will be out for 6 months with a ruptured cruciate ligaments.
Semper in excretia
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:58 pm Bad news for Stade Français. Telusa Veianu will be out for 6 months with a ruptured cruciate ligaments.
Wasn't he released by Stade?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:03 pm
Robespierre wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:58 pm Bad news for Stade Français. Telusa Veianu will be out for 6 months with a ruptured cruciate ligaments.
Don’t think so.
Semper in excretia
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:14 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:03 pm
Don’t think so.
My mistake
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Matt Toomua leaving Aus.
Suspect a season in Japan then maybe France.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e3eb ... a483daf1cd

Sanderson is targeting Ford's return for our game vs Sale in December.

Most importantly though, he thanks Tigers for pushing through his surgery in a fast manner even though he was leaving us.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.