Formerly of this parish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Formerly of this parish

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:34 pm I still do not believe it was their decision to involve Sam Burgess and that was where things went wrong for them
Certainly didn't help. Crowbarring him in to the midfield as a desperate attempt at a Manu replacement only made matters worse.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Facundo Gigena has signed a one-year contract with Pau.
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Henry Purdy signs with Agen
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jake Kerr has allegedly signed for Watsonians in the FOSROC Super 6 competition.
Semper in excretia
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:56 pm Jake Kerr has allegedly signed for Watsonians in the FOSROC Super 6 competition.
What did he do to his career? Capped by Scotland in 2019 but then released two years later. You have to wonder if he was one of those players who allegedly left a poor impression with Borthwick on the latter's first day. He played in 8 matches, 5 off the bench after that; only 2 of them in 20/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:09 pm
Robespierre wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:56 pm Jake Kerr has allegedly signed for Watsonians in the FOSROC Super 6 competition.
What did he do to his career? Capped by Scotland in 2019 but then released two years later. You have to wonder if he was one of those players who allegedly left a poor impression with Borthwick on the latter's first day. He played in 8 matches, 5 off the bench after that; only 2 of them in 20/21.
Looked like he was a future first teamer when he first broke into the squad but dropped down the pecking order dramatically under Borthwick and then went to Bristol and suffered similarly. All a bit odd really.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Jake Kerr was never good enough for us,he was behind Poletau Nau and Tom Youngs, O' Connor had got rid of Thacker and McGuigan we recruited Clare who frankly was better than Kerr. Jake got capped by Scotland who let's face it did not have many players to pick from but I think it was just a one off, he went to Bristol where he was once again third choice behind Thacker. I am afraid it is a fact of life in professional sport, once you are no longer considered young enough to be an improver you need to be first team or close to it. Kerr is a good player but at best Championship quality.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:10 pm Jake Kerr was never good enough for us,he was behind Poletau Nau and Tom Youngs, O' Connor had got rid of Thacker and McGuigan we recruited Clare who frankly was better than Kerr. Jake got capped by Scotland who let's face it did not have many players to pick from but I think it was just a one off, he went to Bristol where he was once again third choice behind Thacker. I am afraid it is a fact of life in professional sport, once you are no longer considered young enough to be an improver you need to be first team or close to it. Kerr is a good player but at best Championship quality.
I think at the time of his Scottish cap they had something like 5 hookers unavailable
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Kerr is definitely good enough for the GP. He's had some very good performances whenever I've seen him. Who knows what the problem could be. Niggles,fitness problems,attitude,mental health issues perhaps. Who knows? It happens to players
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:35 pm Kerr is definitely good enough for the GP. He's had some very good performances whenever I've seen him. Who knows what the problem could be. Niggles,fitness problems,attitude,mental health issues perhaps. Who knows? It happens to players
I agree with Scott, though Kerr was going to be a regular starter for us, and play more for Scotland. Just seemed to drop off a cliff..
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Although Kerr had about 30 Premiership.appearances for us he only started 7 or 8 times, it was not his fault but the majority of games he played in we lost, we probably at that time lost most of the games he didn't p!ay in.. I don't think he got many starts.or much game time at Bristol either.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I cant think of that many front rower players who have developed in the tight that much under Lam, yes the likes of Thacker has moved on their games in the loose but have they developed many players I'm the tight. Those who have thrived there have been players who have solid tight games and had their loose games developed
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:28 pm I cant think of that many front rower players who have developed in the tight that much under Lam, yes the likes of Thacker has moved on their games in the loose but have they developed many players I'm the tight. Those who have thrived there have been players who have solid tight games and had their loose games developed
Has Harry’s game developed or has he been put in a better environment to showcase his talents
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

TFS has a point I feel Genge has gone backwards since returning to Bristol and Sinkler has certainly not kicked on as a scrumager.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Thacker good around the field but poor scrummager hence Bristol scrum being average despite Genge and Sinckler as props. Not even as good as Dolly and nowhere near Montoya.
A2O