Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Formerly of this parish

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:00 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:52 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:29 pm

Be a good move for him, feel a little sorry for him at present having to play 10 in a poor Gloucester side.
I will never forget him singlehandedly taking on Ospreys at WR years ago, and only being denied a shot at winning the match by a duff reffing decision.
Started due to a number of injuries late on as I recall. Craig Newby ended up in the centre ?
That's the one, Newby looked ridiculously comfortable at 12.
As for 36 we really shouldn't have let him leave Tigers.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

ads wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:27 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:16 pm Jordan Olowofela wins try of the week in the Champ.

https://twitter.com/Champrugby/status/1 ... 5RsvQ&s=19
That does not look like good running conditions!!
I was at that game and the conditions were indeed horrendous! How on earth we won by the margin we did I have no idea.

Jordan and Ryan have both been immense for us at Notts this season. I’ll be stunned if we manage to hold onto them.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Personally I thought Jordan Olowofela was developing quite well for us but he became part of Borthwick's clearout, we were not well blessed with wingers but I think at the time there was a small group of younger players who had questionable attitudes and Jordan rightly or wrongly was lumped together with them.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:22 pm Personally I thought Jordan Olowofela was developing quite well for us but he became part of Borthwick's clearout, we were not well blessed with wingers but I think at the time there was a small group of younger players who had questionable attitudes and Jordan rightly or wrongly was lumped together with them.
Didn’t he spend some time in Australia?
McKellar might like what he sees hypothetically. I don’t think it was ever a question of ability, more desire and commitment
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Freddie back in the Highlanders team! :smt001
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:34 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:22 pm Personally I thought Jordan Olowofela was developing quite well for us but he became part of Borthwick's clearout, we were not well blessed with wingers but I think at the time there was a small group of younger players who had questionable attitudes and Jordan rightly or wrongly was lumped together with them.
McKellar might like what he sees hypothetically. I don’t think it was ever a question of ability, more desire and commitment
Jordan played a season at the Force and scored some good tries. A pretty impressive spell for him. A little surprised that highlight reel didn't get a good contract offer.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

And Nephi straight onto the bench for his new club
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:36 am
Jordan played a season at the Force and scored some good tries. A pretty impressive spell for him. A little surprised that highlight reel didn't get a good contract offer.
That to me is the question. Why weren’t there contract offers from other premiership clubs. What are professional coaches seeing that we keen fans aren’t?
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:33 am What are professional coaches seeing that we keen fans aren’t?
His defence.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/MelbourneRebels/sta ... _AAYw&s=19

Geoff Parling staying at Melbourne Rebels
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:37 am And Nephi straight onto the bench for his new club
Bit of a time lag between his actual release & Tigers announcing it.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:33 am

That to me is the question. Why weren’t there contract offers from other premiership clubs. What are professional coaches seeing that we keen fans aren’t?
Was he one of the 5/6 from that first training session? Mud sticks after all, and I suspect the coaches do a lot of talking to each other.

Of interest, the French player who he lost out to in the 2018 U20 RWC Player of the Tournament vote will be playing in ProD2 next season, unless he gets a move.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:13 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:33 am What are professional coaches seeing that we keen fans aren’t?
His defence.
Exactly this. Plus general lack of physicality in every part of his game. Loads of talent but too many weaknesses... literally. It would be great if he's fixed this, but to me he still looks far too lightweight. It's one thing chipping over defences in the Championship, but it's simply not possible to do that regularly in the Premiership against better defences.

Pace is wonderful, but it can't be your only quality if you want to make it at the top level.

The fact that he hasn't bulked up over the last year or two screams of a lack of desire to me. Maybe that's unfair, but surely that's what every Premiership coach would want from him?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:06 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:33 am

Was he one of the 5/6 from that first training session? Mud sticks after all, and I suspect the coaches do a lot of talking to each other.

Of interest, the French player who he lost out to in the 2018 U20 RWC Player of the Tournament vote will be playing in ProD2 next season, unless he gets a move.
I don't know if he was one of the group sent home... However he was rumoured to be one of Hardwick's closest mates in the squad, and hasn't played since that infamous Gloucester game which was Hardwick's last game also.

Borthwick worked hard to make sure he was on loan for as much of the remainder of his contracted time at the club, I think even when he left for Nottingham that was before his contract ended, and was just they had actually negotiated him going.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:39 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:13 am
His defence.
Exactly this. Plus general lack of physicality in every part of his game. Loads of talent but too many weaknesses... literally. It would be great if he's fixed this, but to me he still looks far too lightweight. It's one thing chipping over defences in the Championship, but it's simply not possible to do that regularly in the Premiership against better defences.

Pace is wonderful, but it can't be your only quality if you want to make it at the top level.

The fact that he hasn't bulked up over the last year or two screams of a lack of desire to me. Maybe that's unfair, but surely that's what every Premiership coach would want from him?
100% agree with you both. Just not good (strong) enough for Tigers.