Formerly of this parish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Formerly of this parish

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nice to see Geoff Parling being interviewed as the Rebels assistant coach, during half time in their game. Still hasn’t lost the North East accent
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Force bring in Kurtley Beale for the injured Harry Potter who is out for the season
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:07 pm Force bring in Kurtley Beale for the injured Harry Potter who is out for the season
At 35 bit past his best but now exonerated in court he could add an awful lot to a stuttering Force outfit.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:45 pm Always was in 2 minds about Manu. At his best he was a star for the club and responsible for one of my favorite nights at Welford Road (V South Africa with my now passed dad). but the way that he left after having spent so much of his time at the club on the sidelines still rubs a bit raw.
Yes, this youth player (Manu) and one of the Notts players double tackled anything in a green shirt that touched the ball. Manu’s Phasers were set to kill that night.

Sensational atmosphere. And, for one night only, Tigers could claim they were the best side in the world.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

mol2 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:38 am
GB72 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:45 pm Always was in 2 minds about Manu. At his best he was a star for the club and responsible for one of my favorite nights at Welford Road (V South Africa with my now passed dad). but the way that he left after having spent so much of his time at the club on the sidelines still rubs a bit raw.
Yes, this youth player (Manu) and one of the Notts players double tackled anything in a green shirt that touched the ball. Manu’s Phasers were set to kill that night.

Sensational atmosphere. And, for one night only, Tigers could claim they were the best side in the world.
Craig Hammond I imagine you're thinking of re the Notts player. He replaced Brett Deacon very early from memory. The definition of a stalwart for Notts. He captained them in well over 200 games I believe.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Alex Lewington retiring from rugby at the end of the season. Seems to be playing well this season hope it not due to any kind of injury.
Last edited by Stephen18 on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Stephen18 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:20 am Alex Lexington retiring from rugby at the end of the season. Seems to be playing well this season hope it not due to any kind of injury.
Sorry do you mean Lewington
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:46 am
Stephen18 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:20 am Alex Lexington retiring from rugby at the end of the season. Seems to be playing well this season hope it not due to any kind of injury.
Sorry do you mean Lewington
Yeah I did I’ve edited it now, I don’t even know how I didn’t spot that
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Stephen18 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:20 am Alex Lewington retiring from rugby at the end of the season. Seems to be playing well this season hope it not due to any kind of injury.
Wouldn't have thought it was a injury he scored for Sarries on Saturday
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Brilliant match but, unfortunately, probably peak Manu. That and his role in the demolition of NZ at Twickenham in 2012.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

When Alesana was on the pitch, Manu was 100%, he seemed to drop right off after he left, as if Manu needed pushing to perform and was a bit lazy.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Don't think he was lazy but injuries took their toll. Alesana was a huge presence that made room for others to exploit but when he left we went some time without crash ball threats other than Manu. A series of journeymen back rows offered no threat in attack.

Add to that fairly limited game plans at Tigers and England which consisted of "Chuck it to Manu" meant sides learned to commit more defensive resources to stop him. In theory that would mean more space for others to exploit but that wasn't done.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Manu was also integral in the 2019 RWC run as well. Yes, they came up short in the final. It was still a terrific performance across the tournament though. The demolition of Australia in the QFs was a great day I had the pleasure of being there for. Then the performance against NZ in the SF was outstanding.

It's not often mentioned, but injuries don't only prevent players playing, they also prevent them developing due to that. Ma'a Nonu was just as much a blunt instrument as Manu early in his career. A monster in contact from wing/13 but little else. Over Nonu's career he developed a excellent passing game and useful kicking game. We will likely never know how Manu might have developed if not for the injuries. The years when a centre would usually be building their game were spent on a physio table. It's a great shame. He's forged a marvellous career nonetheless.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Gopperth has extended his career in France
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

My equal most memorable match TBH, not the standard of play but the atmosphere was unbelievable. The other was being merely feet away when Julian dobbed Sheridan.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.