BT Sport Coverage of Quins vs Sale .... Why Oh Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: BT Sport Coverage of Quins vs Sale .... Why Oh Why ?

Post by JP14 »

kend wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:31 am I thought Monye's contribution was excellent.

It’s interesting that rugby seems to be struggling with the response to BLM, whereas football didn’t. As far as I saw, the football teams took a knee without much debate. The lack of unity apparent in the Sale team can’t do much for team cohesion. If you were a BAME player in that team, would you feel supported by your teammates?

I thought the Tigers decision, in the context of a diverse city like Leicester, was a strong response.

I’m puzzled that people think BLM has been somehow 'hijacked by a political agenda'. Of course it has a political agenda. All activist led movements do because the only way to effect change is by applying political pressure on legislators: “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will”.

The fact it splits on left/right lines (which is, by and large, also true of environmental groups) isn’t so much a function of the movement as of the nature of political discourse in the UK and US.
Players were given an individual choice, and that is how it should be, the fact that Daniel du Preez put his hand on Marland Yarde's shoulder when he took the knee showed team solidarity in my opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

SimonP in Surrey wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:43 am Game covered elsewhere, but I was truly flabbergasted and annoyed to see BT Sport choosing not just mention but heavily feature the BLM initiative and to a lesser extent the CoVid / NHS content in the prematch buildup. We wait months for our rugby to return then they chose to force us to listen to their virtue signalling politicised views!
Going back to the original post and whilst Simon P clearly has the right to his opinion I for one certainly did't see the BT coverage of either issue as '..singling politicised views..'. These are matters that the rugby fraternity, alongside other sports, has decided should be highlighted at the beginning of games in order to allow the players to express their support or otherwise for the issues. As such it is part of the televised event and naturally should be covered in the broadcast. The viewer can agree or not agree with the sentiments expressed and if feelings against are strong there is always the 'off' button. End Of :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Sport is a huge part of our society. The issues in sport reflect the issues in our society. As we seek to reduce racism, sport is one way of creating awareness and increasing education. To think therefore that TV sports coverage should not include this is nonsensical, and v much misses the point.

The experience of South Africa over the last 40 years only goes to show the role of sport, whether thru the boycotts due to Apartheid or the symbolism of Mandela celebrating the world Cup victory with the team.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

This topic has been well discussed over the last few days and it is generally accepted that this needed to be covered and raise awareness in the sporting environment.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk