LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by tigerburnie »

Traveller wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:09 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:22 pm I have no issue with Geordan Murphy being removed from the job of DoR and he should never have been offered - and never should have accepted - the HC role. My issue is with how he was treated - and I don't mean the last couple of weeks.

As Nick Cain put it in TRP "Geordan was laid out like a lamb to the slaughter."

Here's another way of looking at things. As with most clubs, Tigers have always been eager to welcome their former heroes back to Welford Road. Ask Geordan, Cockers, Dusty - even Simon Cohen - if they'd feel comfortable coming back for a bit of hospitality.
I genuinely don't understand what you mean by the sentence 'My issue is with how he was treated - and I don't mean the last couple of weeks'. From your knowledge what has happened to GM that reflects poorly on the people making the decision not to renew the contract that a man in his mid 30s decided to sign. If GM had informed the CEO that he would be leaving Tigers at the end of the 2021 season, would he have been letting the club down?

None of which is to say that people haven't been treated shoddily in the past.

PS. Unfortunate that Messrs Murphy, Cockerill, O'Hare find themselves in the same sentence as Mr Cohen.
Didn't O'Hare play football for Scotland?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by LE18 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:17 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:22 pm I have no issue with Geordan Murphy being removed from the job of DoR and he should never have been offered - and never should have accepted - the HC role. My issue is with how he was treated - and I don't mean the last couple of weeks.

As Nick Cain put it in TRP "Geordan was laid out like a lamb to the slaughter."

Here's another way of looking at things. As with most clubs, Tigers have always been eager to welcome their former heroes back to Welford Road. Ask Geordan, Cockers, Dusty - even Simon Cohen - if they'd feel comfortable coming back for a bit of hospitality.
I genuinely don't understand what you mean by the sentence 'My issue is with how he was treated - and I don't mean the last couple of weeks'. From your knowledge what has happened to GM that reflects poorly on the people making the decision not to renew the contract that a man in his mid 30s decided to sign. If GM had informed the CEO that he would be leaving Tigers at the end of the 2021 season, would he have been letting the club down?

PS. Unfortunate that Messrs Murphy, Cockerill, O'Hare find themselves in the same sentence as Mr Cohen.
I've racked my brain but who is O'Hare? :smt017
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The Derby County midfielder from the 70s ?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:43 pm The Derby County midfielder from the 70s ?
John O'Hare (born 24 September 1946) is a Scottish former footballer. O'Hare's clubs included Sunderland, Derby County and also Nottingham Forest and was part of their European Cup victory in 1980, coming on as a substitute in the final. O'Hare also won thirteen caps for the Scotland national team, scoring five goals.

Cracking player!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Michael O'Hare, Michelin starred chef?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

O'Hare today but gone T'Mara :smt003
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:38 pm Michael O'Hare, Michelin starred chef?
Or Michael O’Hare, Irish racing commentator?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I worked with John O'Hare in Derby, he was a regular visitor to Welford Road in the late 1990's, we used to talk rugby for hours, he was a great sport fan.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:48 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:43 pm The Derby County midfielder from the 70s ?
John O'Hare (born 24 September 1946) is a Scottish former footballer. O'Hare's clubs included Sunderland, Derby County and also Nottingham Forest and was part of their European Cup victory in 1980, coming on as a substitute in the final. O'Hare also won thirteen caps for the Scotland national team, scoring five goals.

Cracking player!
Indeed. And still alive and kicking in the Derby area. I see him quite regularly.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Have there been any names touted as potential recruits to the coaching staff? Surely SB can't be expected to lead on front row sessions indefinitely? Is Wigglesworth taking a more hands on approach to coaching the backs etc? I know that he was involved with coaching at Ealing. Surely you'd expect to hear something this week? Times a' ticking...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 am Have there been any names touted as potential recruits to the coaching staff? Surely SB can't be expected to lead on front row sessions indefinitely? Is Wigglesworth taking a more hands on approach to coaching the backs etc? I know that he was involved with coaching at Ealing. Surely you'd expect to hear something this week? Times a' ticking...
Currently the academy and Loughborough University scrum coach is helping Borthwick with the coaching of the scrum for the first team.

Matt Smith is the interim backs/attack coach but I'm sure he's utilising the knowledge Wigglesworth is bringing with him to help set up the attack for the new season. We have Bonilla as well who's played in Super Rugby and for Racing 92 who might have some ideas.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:32 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:17 pm

I've racked my brain but who is O'Hare? :smt017
Fair call. I am humbled. I meant Hare. However, on the basis that I used an O' - when I shouldn't have done. I will in future glowfully ponce in any future spolling mistucks or; grammotical errands: From other, contribucationaries.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cracking player!
I can well remember watching him play in 1973 in a Derby (euro?) fixture on the TV in our student shared house. One of our number was smoking a Big Log, and I remember the leccy giving out (money in the box then)and us sitting in the dark for a few seconds. Said frazzled smoker in regret "Oh, and O'Hare was such a lovely mover".
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Cracking player!
I can well remember watching him play in 1973 in a Derby (euro?) fixture on the TV in our student shared house. One of our number was smoking a Big Log, and I remember the leccy giving out (money in the box then)and us sitting in the dark for a few seconds. Said frazzled smoker in regret "Oh, and O'Hare was such a lovely mover".
:smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JohanK

Post by JohanK »

It is such a shame that we are going into this next season without a full complement of coaching staff because I think that although we obviously lost some quality players from the back line last season, the squad we have is incredibly exciting, particularly if the new signings we haven't seen on the pitch yet live up to their billing. What gives me the most hope for this upcoming season is that quality of team we should be able to put out when the six nations is on, something along the lines of:

Gigena/de Bruin
Youngs/Mamukahvili
Cole/Leatigaga
Lavanini/Green
Wells/Enever
Lienbenberg/Taufua
Reffell/Wallace
Brink/Wiese

Wigglesworth/White
Henry/Bonilla

Nadolo/Potter
Scott/Taute
Moroni/Porter
Van Wyk/Williams
Stewart/Murimurivalu

I don't think for a very long time have we had that kind of depth of quality. With Genge, Youngs and Ford thrown into the mix along with some of the other solid performers and development players, if and I get that that is a big IF, the coaches can just get it to gel we have the quality there to be back up in the right half of the table!!