LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Dangerous4 »

Knightonian wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:25 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:19 pm
Knightonian wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:02 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/Argentina_20 ... 7704024064

Rumor: Matías Moroni to Leicester Tigers.

Interesting thread with other rumours Jaguares of to Gloucester etc

Could have credentials:
Follow
Paul Tait
@Argentina_2027
EDITOR / ARGENTINA / SOUTH AMERICA of
@americasrugby
Convinced of Flag of ArgentinaArgentina as RWC Host.
It looks like the guy just saw that article and assumed it was a rumour
2 out of these 3 rumours have come true - here’s hoping on a hatrick with Moroni to Leicester
i UNDERSTOOD HE HAD BEEN SIGNED FOR THE SEASON AFTER NEXT.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by ay2oh »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:29 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:19 pm

It looks like the guy just saw that article and assumed it was a rumour
2 out of these 3 rumours have come true - here’s hoping on a hatrick with Moroni to Leicester
No that is Montoya
A2O
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:31 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:29 pm

No that is Montoya
Yes, I realized that a few moments ago.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Interesting reading one view that we will really miss MT, sorry I beg to differ.
His game is very one dimensional (crash bang) and his defensive quality has always been in question ( stepping up in the line).
I’m sure who ever we get will have a more of a balanced all round game.
Very exciting and interesting times ahead.
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

chappie wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:20 pm Interesting reading one view that we will really miss MT, sorry I beg to differ.
His game is very one dimensional (crash bang) and his defensive quality has always been in question ( stepping up in the line).
Yes 100%, if I was a good team I would be targeting him at 13 on the outside all day long! There is a massive reason why England play him at 12. Unlike Nonu, he’s also never developed a kicking or passing game.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 pm
chappie wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:20 pm Interesting reading one view that we will really miss MT, sorry I beg to differ.
Yes 100%, if I was a good team I would be targeting him at 13 on the outside all day long! There is a massive reason why England play him at 12. Unlike Nonu, he’s also never developed a kicking or passing game.
Agree with the above. It's as if the game has moved on and MT hasn't really. Given the shape of the current squad as we go into next season if I had the choice of MT or Henry Slade I'd definitely go for Slade. Has a superb all court game and is a brave player in so far as he trusts his skill under pressure.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:54 pm
Agree with the above. It's as if the game has moved on and MT hasn't really. Given the shape of the current squad as we go into next season if I had the choice of MT or Henry Slade I'd definitely go for Slade. Has a superb all court game and is a brave player in so far as he trusts his skill under pressure.
Slade every time for me. I was chatting to a Munster fan on twitter, who also supports Exeter, and agreed with the vfm comments re Manu, saying he couldn’t remember him doing anything against Exeter recently. Probably because Slade has marked him out of the game.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We shouldn’t blame the backs for our lack of attack in recent times. (Be that Youngs, Ford, Tuilagi or May)
We seem to lack a coherent game plan with running lines, support play and so on. Manu, like May is a player who can conjure something out of nothing but if we don’t have players around them even a high speed wrecking ball can be marked out of the game. That should be a good thing as it creates space for others but we have failed to do that.

That’s where coaching is important. Why did we use one of the most experienced defence coaches as our attack coach?

Let’s hope for some clarity.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hilarious the salty views on Manu just because he has left!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:28 pm Hilarious the salty views on Manu just because he has left!
I think you’ll find quite a few fans have questioned Manu’s value to the team for a number of seasons now.
His figures just don’t stack up against a Ford or dare I say it May.
I get people’s opinions re lack of quality ball, but for what he was on and his reputation he should have had a much more significant impact in far more games.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Look at the dross he has had to play with! Hes still a world class player,you only have to look at him in an England shirt to realise that. Our attack for the most part has been dreadful for a good while.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:40 pm Look at the dross he has had to play with! Hes still a world class player,you only have to look at him in an England shirt to realise that. Our attack for the most part has been dreadful for a good while.
Obviously your opinion is valid, but the same could be said of Ford, May Vieanu, he looks very good in a team surrounded by international class players, in a team where his quality should have stood out, more often than not it didn’t. All imo of course.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:40 pm Look at the dross he has had to play with! Hes still a world class player,you only have to look at him in an England shirt to realise that. Our attack for the most part has been dreadful for a good while.
Obviously your opinion is valid, but the same could be said of Ford, May Vieanu, he looks very good in a team surrounded by international class players, in a team where his quality should have stood out, more often than not it didn’t. All imo of course.
Ford looks good because of the amount of ball he gets. May looks good because he's got genuine unbeatable pace to make something out of nothing. Vieanu hasn't looked great reliably if we're honest, it's his moments of magic in a broken field that stand out which you don't get from centre. The rest of the backs have looked pretty terrible due to the lack of structure/game plan
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't think Manu ability could really be questioned.
His availability on the other hand.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

England play him at 12 for the same reason they play Farrell at 12. England doesn't have a good enough IC. Jones likes two midfield playmakers. Often that is Ford/Farrell, the six nations he decided to go away from that we lacked creation and lost to Wales in a game we should have had won on paper. Slade comes in and Manu goes to 12 when Jones thinks we need more physicality. Whatever the midfield selected Manu is involved. Which says it all really.

Slade is unlikely to take the jersey off of Manu because he offers nowhere near the required running threat and a midfield of Ford/Farrell/Slade is completely unbalanced, however, fine a player Slade is. Now if young Lawrence from Worcester kicks on and starts playing some 12 that could make selection interesting. I wouldn't rule out a Manu/Marchant midfield being tried out.

Manu's perceived weakness in defence is going back years. That's not been a major factor for some time. Occasionally most 13s get caught out which is unsurprising because modern blitz defences often put significant pressure on them to cut of the pass to the outside.

Personally I don't think we've got the best out of Manu. The attacking game plan of the last few years has flattered neither Ford nor Manu. The constant out of the back, wide, wide passing options are far too easy to read and have relied heavily on May being quick and TV being elusive. I hoped for more when Ford Snr tool over as he oversaw Bath's far more dynamic attacking game plan. More freedom for Manu to get involved would have made him far more dangerous.