Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: World Calendar seems closer

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Rubbish idea.

I don’t care that JP14 says people who say Union is a winter sport and League is a summer sport is a poor excuse. In my view, Union is a winter (predominantly) sport.

I’m getting fed up of all the changes that get made or are spoken about getting changed. Can we just leave the game as it is for a bit?!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: World calancer seems closer

Post by Crofty »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:00 am I think aligning the reasonably well supported, occasionally commercially viable northern hemisphere calendar with the empty stadiums of SH rugby is a brilliant idea...

Looking forward to the winter months with nothing to do or look forward to at weekends.
If the SAANZAR nations want to align a global calendar so badly let them align with us!

Less glibly I wholeheartedly agree with what seems to be the popular view on here, Union has always been a autumn to spring sport and the diversity of conditions this entails is part of the game. If we get rid of the February mudbaths we may as well make it an indoor sport and where's the fun in that?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It is a poor excuse if you can't give a good reason for maintaining the current season as it is, other than it's what we have always done so we're sticking to it. Well by that reasoning we should've stayed amateur and only let people from a certain background and name play.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The game could not have remained amateur and continued to make the demands on players time that it did. The idea that that rugby was only for those from a certain background is ludicrous, in this area schools whether Secondary Modern or Grammar were known as rugby playing or soccer playing a few both it had nothing to do with background or academic ability. Local clubs included Old Wyggs, Oadby, West Leicester, Vipers, South Leicester, West Leicester, Braunstone, Syston, Birstall (originally Moat Old Boys) Aylestonians, Aylestone St James, Westleigh and Stoneygate plus several others. We played against teams from Coventry, Nottingham, Northampton and Birmingham some had their own grounds others on a public park, most were a mixture of backgrounds although I suppose Stoneygate were on the whole a bit posher than most. Selection at county level could be influenced by the team or school you played for but that did not prevent police constables, school teachers and bricklayers making it into the England team although of course it was a bit quicker if you had played in a Varsity match. There was a lot wrong but essentially the game was for all classes and like soccer was played in the winter whilst summer was for cricket, tennis and pub gardens.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Crofty wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:49 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:00 am I think aligning the reasonably well supported, occasionally commercially viable northern hemisphere calendar with the empty stadiums of SH rugby is a brilliant idea...

Looking forward to the winter months with nothing to do or look forward to at weekends.
If the SAANZAR nations want to align a global calendar so badly let them align with us!

Less glibly I wholeheartedly agree with what seems to be the popular view on here, Union has always been a autumn to spring sport and the diversity of conditions this entails is part of the game. If we get rid of the February mudbaths we may as well make it an indoor sport and where's the fun in that?
I think that’s a key point. It isn’t always a well supported game in the SH mainly as they don’t have the same professional club structure (oh, look at Wales and it’s alienated regional structure. Strange that). Why change generally well attended stadiums in France/England/Ireland to fit in with them?
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Crofty wrote: If the SAANZAR nations want to align a global calendar so badly let them align with us!

If SH aligned with the NH season you would end up with some games being played in 40°C+ heat over the SH summer.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
glenn

Post by glenn »

If we moved to a summer schedule, would we gain more football fans .....?
Vs the potential lost fans and season ticket holders this "may" be where the club would gain?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

What are the intended benefits of doing this? Avoiding clashes between international and club games? Or create an international calendar they think is more marketable?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

No doubt that the northern hemisphere will be the ones to move to fit in with the mighty all blacks :smt016
A2O
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:15 pm No doubt that the northern hemisphere will be the ones to move to fit in with the mighty all blacks :smt016
That’s pretty much it. In the summer there are far more things to clash with and the summer holidays (people going away for a fortnight might easily miss two home matches).
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: World calendar seems closer

Post by loretta »

tjs10inOz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:08 pm
Crofty wrote: If the SAANZAR nations want to align a global calendar so badly let them align with us!

If SH aligned with the NH season you would end up with some games being played in 40°C+ heat over the SH summer.
So the collateral damage would happen to those who are moaning for change? Good, that’s how it should be.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: World calendar seems closer

Post by Crofty »

loretta wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 pm
tjs10inOz wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:08 pm

So the collateral damage would happen to those who are moaning for change? Good, that’s how it should be.
Precisely!

To be fair I did say I was being glib...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

...an awful long way to go yet....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Why should we shift to suite the SH?

We play rugby in the winter and cricket in the summer.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm in favour of rugby remaining a winter sport. However, the argument that this should be the case simply because that's how it's always been is a bit weak.

Rugby is better off for having a strong southern hemisphere game, if we can find a way to compromise and help them then we should at least consider it. I'm not sure the world calendar and summer rugby in Europe is the solution, but something needs to change in the schedule to ensure that club rugby north of the equator remains strong too.