Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: House of Rugby - Burgess on the Fords

Post by wellstiger »

Could a, should a, would a.
Wasn't in Union long enough before selection. Bought into the Red Rose as an unknown quantity to upset the opposition.
Didn't light any fires. Great League players do not always make great Union players.
Is it a case of "I know better" or "I think I was out of my depth"

5 years on I think the FORDS should decline to comment. Life moves on and has nothing to do with Tigers.
Maybe "Sour grapes" Maybe he has a valid point. Is it going to change the price of eggs - Nahh
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I read the article in the Independent. Sour grapes is my interpretation of the scenario. Just why should be asked to comment for heaven's sake? Ridiculous!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Sour. grapes imo. and nothing to do with us.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:01 am Burgess in rugby union was a disaster for all concerned from the RFU who recruited him through to Burgess himself.
Has Burgess got a book coming out?

As for Haskell at times he can be very entertaining but he and his Mrs are becoming very media savvy and he he knows when to speak and when to shut up
If the answer is HASKELL, then you are asking the wrong question. Media monkey! :smt013
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

These kind of accusations seem to follow Mike Ford everywhere he’s coached, there can’t be smoke without fire. Not many people have a kind word to say about him.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:21 pm These kind of accusations seem to follow Mike Ford everywhere he’s coached, there can’t be smoke without fire. Not many people have a kind word to say about him.
Exactly.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:17 pm "Burgess is doing some media work and has a clothing business that is up and running. He’s also working with South Sydney on defence. He had nothing to gain in my view."

Isn't that something to gain?
He has no need to boost his profile or business is what I’m saying. He’s doing fine.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:49 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:17 pm "Burgess is doing some media work and has a clothing business that is up and running. He’s also working with South Sydney on defence. He had nothing to gain in my view."

He has no need to boost his profile or business is what I’m saying. He’s doing fine.
Didn’t he recently lose 70% of his marital wealth?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

He came to union too late, he was on a hiding to nothing, Sonny Bill has admitted it takes time to convert between the 2 codes & he has gone back & forth, Burgess was never going to be anywhere near the required level for the RWC, its easier for outside backs as less difference, plus Jason Robinson was a bit freaky.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:36 pm He came to union too late, he was on a hiding to nothing, Sonny Bill has admitted it takes time to convert between the 2 codes & he has gone back & forth, Burgess was never going to be anywhere near the required level for the RWC, its easier for outside backs as less difference, plus Jason Robinson was a bit freaky.
If "a bit freaky" is your definition of absolute genius on a rugby field (of any code).
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Not sure it’s the smartest move financially, revealing all on a podcast.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Longshanks wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:41 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:36 pm He came to union too late, he was on a hiding to nothing, Sonny Bill has admitted it takes time to convert between the 2 codes & he has gone back & forth, Burgess was never going to be anywhere near the required level for the RWC, its easier for outside backs as less difference, plus Jason Robinson was a bit freaky.
If "a bit freaky" is your definition of absolute genius on a rugby field (of any code).
That will be the one..
Only a few have clicked that quickly, obviously he had had a taster a few years previously at Bath.
Lote Tuquri another (still one of the best players to of played for Tigers).
The genuine success rate in both directions isn't massive.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Stephen Jones in The Times, saying Burgess is wrong to blame Mike Ford for the World Cup catastrophe.....

"Sam Burgess, a northern disaster area in England’s campaign in the 2015 World Cup, has revealed that he had finally got to the bottom of that collective shambles. He was, so said a website, now revealing the “real truth”. Exciting, if slightly tautologous.

We learnt that Burgess blames Mike Ford, then coach at Bath. Ford had no direct involvement in the World Cup campaign whatsoever. However, Burgess speaks of Ford’s “sabotage” and calls him “a snake”. Well, something nasty has been crawling through the undergrowth, and it wasn’t Ford. It was Burgess."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:46 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:58 pm
Not sure it’s the smartest move financially, revealing all on a podcast.
I mean what did he have to lose?
It suddenly brings attention away to non rugby stuff and leaves him space to get more media appearances and even potentially give a future book a boost which since he’s retired will no doubt be on the horizon.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Interesting interview. Got a few things of his chest for sure!

But it's his side of the story as he himself admits.

We screwed up the WC because Lancaster was in the wrong job. Surely that is obvious.

Haskell statement about every meeting starting with the same Powerpoint and a meeting about a meeting is evidence of that. Lancaster is a great coach on the training pitch. But the likes of Jones and Gatland are what you need to be the chief.